The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: E-collar Stimulation Levels 101???

Good luck with TT! I called them when i was looking to buy and they wouldn't tell me a thing. Sport Dog on the other hand was very forthcoming.

Default Tri-Tronics Stimulation Levels

Chris,

You asked, "Is there any sort of calibrated settings that would quantify the specified electricity "doses" for each level of stimulation?"

I asked this question of Tri-Tronics many years ago and never received a definitive answer. I have collar conditioned approximately
    10-20 dogs/year for the last 10 years using Tri-Tronics collars and from this experience have reached, what I believe is, an informed conclusion. From the dogs reaction/perception, it is not a linear stair-step from 1 low, 1 med, 1 high, 2 low, 2 med, 2 high, 3 low..... It is linear from 1 low, 2 low, 3 low..... or 1 med, 2 med, 3 medium..... This applies whether in the continuous mode or the momentary mode. As others have mentioned, the dogs have a stronger reaction to a high 3 vs. a low 4 or a stronger reaction to a high 4 vs. a low 5 in both continuous or momentary modes.

In regard to tapping the button while in momentary mode, it's not the best technique as a quick tap may result in no correction.

Default Chris, Tri Tronics momentary setting duration info.

Ok, I was a little amazed at what I was told....

The shortest duration on a G2 [lower black button] on the momentary setting is 6 micro seconds. That's 6 millionths of a second!

[1 micro second = 1 millionth of a second.]

Upper balck is 36 micro seconds and high [both black buttons] is a big jump to 216 micro seconds.

The fastest they've ever been able to record with a quick tap and release in the continous mode is 15 hundredths of a second. So much for a quick tap being "like" the momentary setting.

That's straight from the engineering dept at TT.
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Thanks for looking into this. It explains a lot of questions I had about my dog's reaction to the various intensity levels.
    Darrin Greene

Alec,

Thank you VERY much!

I have not taken the time to call TT and ask since speaking with one of their frontline "product specialits" who was darn good, but I can see why this individual would not have the nuts and bolts of the science.

So, I've taken your figures and put them on a sheet of paper:

From a "length of correction" standpoint:

Low Momentary = 0.000006 seconds
    Medium Momentary = 0.000036 seconds
    High Momentary = 0.000216 seconds
    Fastest Humanly
    Possible Continuous
    "nick" = 0.150000 seconds

This means that a "nick" on continuous lasts 694 times longer than a high "momentary" on a G2 TT Pro 500!!!!!!

THAT explains a LOT in how we and our dogs perceive the stimulation!

So the above is all "duration"....the other piece is the "intensity" discussion.

Is it accurate that in "momentary", all levels of stimulation equal the "High - Continuous" level for that particular setting? In other words, a Low momentary 3 is the same as delivering a high continuous 3 for 6 microseconds.

What would really be neat would be to have the quantified "volts" (I became an INdustrial Engineer and bailed out of mechanical and chemical disciplines over OHMS, AMPS, and Thermodynamics!) or whatever the proper measurement is for intensity settings on the G2 500 for

Cont. versus Momentary on each dial setting. To my mind, that would really help.

Eggheads who remain eggheads post-degree...( I took my degree in 87 and ran straight to "Tech Sales"!) Are my above numbers correct, assuming the stats given to Alec are right?

Thanks again Alec! I'd hand the transmitter over for Bus-turd to you in a heartbeat.

Chris

Is it accurate that in "momentary", all levels of stimulation equal the "High - Continuous" level for that particular setting? In other words, a Low momentary 3 is the same as delivering a high continuous 3 for 6 microseconds.
    As I understand it, yes. Continous intensity [at a given level] is the same as the intensity while using the monentary setting at all three durations [but a hell of a lot longer!]
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Default TT tech

Chris I don't know you, or ever met you. However, if you figured this out, you're way over qualified to run the register at Wal-Mart. I'm just now learning to hold the collar prong side out from my ear to hear the buzzing noise to see if it's working.

Default Re: Chris, Tri Tronics momentary setting duration info.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec@snowboundkennels

The fastest they've ever been able to record with a quick tap and release in the continous mode is 15 hundredths of a second. So much for a quick tap being "like" the momentary setting.

That's straight from the engineering dept at TT.
    So, I've been trying to beat thier record for an hour. I strapped that collar on my arm, got a stop watch and transmitter and been going at beatting that record. I haven't done it yet, but I got all day....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

The TT boys need to see my old man on this subject. I distinctly remember that 1 microsecond is equal to the time that elapses between smarting off to the old man and the first punch landing.

For reference, a flourescent light is "blinking" at 60 HZ which is right on the threshhold for most himans to detect the flicker. That would be .01666 seconds or about 16,666 microseconds.

.15 seconds indeed regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

nnnnooooo llllluuuuuccccckkkkkk yyyyyeeeeetttttt beeeaaatttttinnnngggg theee rrrreeeecccoooorddddd. buuubbuuuuaaaaa iiii''mmmm ggggooonnnnnaaaa nneeeeedddddd mmmmoooorrrrreeeee beeeeeerrrrrr Ffrrrriiiidaaaayyyyy

/////pppaaauuullllll
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"