The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E-collar Stimulation Levels 101???

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson

Chris - an "Amish Trainer" 1978 - 2007 ...not looking back.....

Glad you have no regrets about joining us in the Un-Amish world!

Andy
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

Chris,

I think there is some overlap to the stimulation levels with the TT collars. I have a Pro 500 G2 and I often will get a bigger response from a dog on a high correction (say High 2) as compared to a low 3. I also very rarely use the momentary correction on my collar. I can give a quicker "nick" if needed than the momentary switch will and can also give a longer correction if needed without having to worry about flipping the switch from momentary to continuous.

I feel a lot of people who are new to collar work do a lot more nagging with the collar than actually correcting with the collar. I am all for giving the dog the benefit of the doubt in most situations, but when a correction is called for, I want to make sure the dog gets the point. I have found that over the years, I use the collar a lot less frequently than I used to, but when I do use it, I get a better response to the correction. I feel that I use to "nag" the dog with lots of low level stimulation that a lot of dogs would just shrug off. Now, when a correction is called for, I use the upper level that the dogs work on, make my point and move on. Seems to work for me.

Joe
    Not bad for a chocolate dog

All I know is it's a BIG jump from mid to high on a G2 in momentary mode.

I'll use low and med but would drop one intensity level to use high. Beacuse of that I pretty much just use low med and if I need more I go up in intensity, then low, high, etc.

Let me speak to someone "in the back" and see what I can find out.
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Default Re: E-collar Stimulation Levels 101???

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson
    OK guys and gals,

I'm hoping that one of you can answer this.

I've heard that the stimulation levels on a collar -let's say a TT Pro 500 in "nick" mode, overlap... I've also heard they stairstep up linearly (which I don't think I buy)

Who can tell me: Is it A)

From low to high 1 low, 1 med, 1 high, 2 low, 2 med, 2 high, 3 low.....

Or is it B)

There's some overlap and a 3 high is higher than a 4 low (as an example)

I've heard it both ways.

Is there any sort of calibrated settings that would quantify the specified electricity "doses" for each level of stimulation? (I realize that there will be ranges and there will be variations from unit to unit and likely from brand new perfect batteries versus old worn ones)

Thanks!

Chris
    In "Nick" mode they do NOT overlap.

In "Nick" mode the differnce in a low, med, and high is the duration of the nick. I heard high was 1/10 of a second, med was 1/100 and low was 1/1000.

In the continuous mode, I really don't know. My impression was that a 4 low was higher than a 3 high. But I can't say for sure.

They dont overlap. You get a bigger reaction on a 3 high vs a 4 low due to the frequency of the "pulse" with high stimulation vs low stimulation.

Edit: In continuous mode

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdog
    I can give a quicker "nick" if needed than the momentary switch will and can also give a longer correction if needed without having to worry about flipping the switch from momentary to continuous.
    There ain't no way you can give a "quicker" nick, nor more consistently on continous.

I agree about switching from momentary to continuous.

A lot is what you get used to. I like the 200 or flyway. I can use the buttons for a "Nick" at what I feel is appropriate and aother button for a "burn" on continuous when that is appropriate withoug changing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdog
    I feel a lot of people who are new to collar work do a lot more nagging with the collar than actually correcting with the collar. I am all for giving the dog the benefit of the doubt in most situations, but when a correction is called for, I want to make sure the dog gets the point. I have found that over the years, I use the collar a lot less frequently than I used to, but when I do use it, I get a better response to the correction. I feel that I use to "nag" the dog with lots of low level stimulation that a lot of dogs would just shrug off. Now, when a correction is called for, I use the upper level that the dogs work on, make my point and move on. Seems to work for me.
    I also agree about this part. It is suposed to be aversive.

Allright...last question and then I'll promise to call TT to get their input.

If we agree that the difference on a TT Pro 500 G2 IN MOMENTARY is the "duration" from low - to med - to high....

I CC'd according to Lardy's video using continuous and just "tapped" the button (yes, I tested it on my ownself first)

So, I got in the habit of just tapping.

Now that I'm through "basics" and into "transition" I use 99.9% of the time "momentary". I've still gotten in the habit of tapping the button(s). So I depress the button(s) identically whether in low, med, or high momentary.

Is it possible that in "high" momentary, the collar is still giving off stimulus after I release the button, or is it that the low momentary is so incredibly brief that it is not humanly possible to tap and release that quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hester
    Quote Originally Posted by msdaisey
    I am not sure about the levels scaling, but we only use continuous. Timing is everything with the collar, and you need to be able to control that down to the nanosecond.
    So you only burn your dog? You don't take advantage of the numerous benefits of the momentary stimulation?
    Yes, everyone in my training group totally fries all of their dogs with the collar. That's why one was just a NAFC finalist (and trained by a man who has previously won the stake). 8)

We change the levels, but you can only get the exact 'stimulation' you need by being in control of when a 'signal' is sent.
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

While you are on the blower with them, it would be interesting to know if the buttons are "one shot" and if so, how long the delay is before they are active again. For instance, if you hit both to get the "High" and then release the buttons non-simultaneously is it possible to get a subsequent Low or medium on the way out.

Stupid question regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba
    While you are on the blower with them, it would be interesting to know if the buttons are "one shot" and if so, how long the delay is before they are active again. For instance, if you hit both to get the "High" and then release the buttons non-simultaneously is it possible to get a subsequent Low or medium on the way out.

Stupid question regards

Bubba
    Not a stupid question. The delay is part of the reason we use the continuous mode.

Turn your collar on and up to 6. Put the collar up to your ear, and start pressing buttons at different settings You can hear the difference in timing and the delay if you need to repeat the momentary. And, yes, I have burned myself with the collar, both intentionally and not!
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard