The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: E-collar Stimulation Levels 101???

What a dumbass!!!

Ya strapped the collar on the arm that you are running the stopwatch with dint ya?

Just put the collar around your neck like educated folk and everything will be fine, trust me on this. Also it's easier to get an accurate measurement when the knob on the transmitter points to the little 6. Mash both buttons on the collar for the best measurement.

Gotta teach some folks everything regards

BUbba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

I'm going to put a DC volt meter on my collar tonight and see what I can get. It's a 500xl.

If I can read it accuratley I'll record the voltage for the various levels.

I'll report back later tonight or tomorrow.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002
    nnnnooooo llllluuuuuccccckkkkkk yyyyyeeeeetttttt beeeaaatttttinnnngggg theee rrrreeeecccoooorddddd. buuubbuuuuaaaaa iiii''mmmm ggggooonnnnnaaaa nneeeeedddddd mmmmoooorrrrreeeee beeeeeerrrrrr Ffrrrriiiidaaaayyyyy

/////pppaaauuullllll
    So how's that working out??

Besides, Friday is my birthday and I plan on being Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too drive to drunk.

7/7/7 ain't diddly, I'm waiting for 13/13/13 regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

I would love to see the G2 Pro 500 voltages at each of the settings.

Honestly, for the average turd-kickin' dog trainer like myself, I'm feeling like with all these different stimulation levels, ...well, like I did in the 4th grade when I saved up my money.

I saved up and went to Knabe's Sports Center at the Monroeville Mall and bought myself a Mossberg 10 speed bike. I don't know about the rest of you, but I found that as a 10 year old kid with 10 speeds, I probably used about three speeds at the most. The rest was just a bunch of confusing settings in the middle!

Like a good buddy told me, only use the amount of "correction" needed and don't worry about what the rheostat says for dog A versus dog B...that makes a lot of sense to me.

Chris

To tell the truth, it will require a pretty high tech ocilloscope and some time messing with it to get the precise data. Even with the right test setup and precision test gear, the data is valid ONLY for that particular unit, manufacturing tolerances and all that yada yada.
    Practical matter is that I suspect that most folks use the 2 or 3 gears that you are talking and the occaisional "NEVER DO THAT AGAIN" button. In all honesty, and bear in mind that I'm prolly the biggest cookie trainer EVER, one button will do. Atrition (NO!!! HEEEEERRRREEEE!!!! Bang!!!, Let's do that again until you get it right) is plenty and more than that is just for revenge.

Can we get back to the GDG now, I'm bored already regards

Bubba

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson

Honestly, for the average turd-kickin' dog trainer like myself, I'm feeling like with all these different stimulation levels, ...well, like I did in the 4th grade when I saved up my money.

I saved up and went to Knabe's Sports Center at the Monroeville Mall and bought myself a Mossberg 10 speed bike. I don't know about the rest of you, but I found that as a 10 year old kid with 10 speeds, I probably used about three speeds at the most. The rest was just a bunch of confusing settings in the middle!

Like a good buddy told me, only use the amount of "correction" needed and don't worry about what the rheostat says for dog A versus dog B...that makes a lot of sense to me.

Chris

Isn't that the store they got the guns from in The Night of The Living Dead?

In regards as to how much correction, we have in western Pa. a TT rep. He says when used correctly your dog should not vocalize. If he does your most likely using to much force.

Trying to figure out why one day he vocalizes and the next he runs through the collar like he doesn't feel it, all on the same setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba

So how's that working out??

Besides, Friday is my birthday and I plan on being Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too drive to drunk.

7/7/7 ain't diddly, I'm waiting for 13/13/13 regards

Bubba

Oh man, what a day. I worked on this all day and Shelby made me quit when my hair looked like this....

I've come to the conclusion that the TT boys might be right. I tried all the different levels for a while each and its damn hard to hit that button any faster. Guess I'll just have to be content as the record holder for holding onto the electric fence surrounding the bull pen the longest....birthday huh? Does this mean we get to upgrade to coors light or are we still gonna drink Busch all night?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson

Chris
    My rule of thumb.

Once CCed, the intensity level is decided by the dogs reaction, not a "number".

On a low nick I want to see the dog respond quickly to command enforcement but not be vocal.

Medium will get a fast responce with perhaps a noticeable sign the dogs been nicked. ie. twitch/blink or a little "squeek!"

High's a big jump on a G2 and I use it when a well schooled dog has blow off a command, perhaps for the second time after an earlier nick a very short time ago. If the dogs a novice in the transition, I'll go up 2 levels and use the low or medium depending on the doggy.

After the high nick I'd expect to see a VERY good response on low as the dog is now some what sensitive to the collar.

Rule of thumb #2 is never burn your dog at the same level more then twice in a row in short order. i.e. As your heeling the dog gets ahead of you: Heel/low nick and back he comes. Ten feet later he's ahead again: Heel/nick and back he comes. At this point I'd have my finger on the trigger for a medium nick if he barges again because if the first two didn't get it a third at the same level get it won't either.

Experienced dogs may not get the same repeat chances as a novice dog or one in a CC transition.

This is a BASIC approach but a safe one for novice collars users.

Where oh where is my 8:30 client?
    I believe initial introduction 'pinch to open' FF doctrine is as progressive as shooting a dog with bird shot to get it to sit on a whistle. AS

*"That you are confused is VERY APPARENT. Are you a politician as well as a FORMER pro dog trainer who QUIT because YOU think that the trial game is all wrong?"

Bubba is correct. A regular test meter will not read the voltage. I will mess around and see if I can figure it out. I do have access to the tools to eventually get the info.

I have always been curious about the jumps in perceived intensity from medium to high to low on the next level up.

Jeff

Was searching around on a sleepless night and found this....

Thought I'd bump it.