The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wits end!!!!

Default My wits end!!!!

OK, bare with me this is a bit lenghty. My girl is almost two years old. She is a passionate retriever. This dog lives to retrieve stuff. I have spent a lot of time training her and I'm really unhappy with where I'm at.

She heels good at times then looks at me like I'm stupid other. She loves water. When I use my remote launcher she does a very good job of retrieveing and with a little collar help comes back pretty reliable.

The here command is good when training and other times she once again looks at me like I'm stupid. I know she could be a great hunting dog and I want her to reach her best. I'm I expecting to much or I'm I way behind the game? Help.....!
    Dan

Sounds like her basic basics need to be tightened up. Here and heel aren't negotiable. You are a little behind the game,but you can get on a good program and catch up pretty quick. Good Luck & Good Training

At two yrs she should be heeling with no misunderstanding upon what that command means. Sounds like you weren't thorough enough during OB.

Default wit

When you see a hole in your training, sometimes it's best to revisit that discipline from the beginning. Even though you've done it, it doesn't mean that your dog actually "got it." With the aid of a 25' or 50' lead you can get her back on track. I never over do treats, but a kibble of food as a reward is generally positive reenforcement.

Default Re: My wits end!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokejmp52
    OK, bare with me this is a bit lenghty. My girl is almost two years old. She is a passionate retriever. This dog lives to retrieve stuff. I have spent a lot of time training her and I'm really unhappy with where I'm at.

She heels good at times then looks at me like I'm stupid other. She loves water. When I use my remote launcher she does a very good job of retrieveing and with a little collar help comes back pretty reliable.

The here command is good when training and other times she once again looks at me like I'm stupid. I know she could be a great hunting dog and I want her to reach her best. I'm I expecting to much or I'm I way behind the game? Help.....!
    I'm not sure where you live (suspect the west/NW with your name), but as is so often suggested, if you can get with a club or training group, that can be a significant help.

I think that if your dog is only 'pretty reliable' with 'collar help' (I'm assuming you mean you're having to nick her to get her to return to heel) at 2 ears you've got some pretty big gaps in OB and CC that you'll want to revisit...

I'm reading between the lines here, but I'd suggest you stop letting her retrieve 'stuff', and stick to bumpers and birds. When you aren't home, is someone else playing fetch as a game and failing to enforce a standard? Gonna have to hace same standard all the time...

10-15 minutes, twice a day on OB can make a huge difference and wouljd probably be a good place to re-start.

good luck, and keep us updated on progress.

Default Re: My wits end!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokejmp52
    ....... I have spent a lot of time training her and I'm really unhappy with where I'm at .......
    How much is "a lot of time"?

If you're working a half hour a day, 6 days a week, I would say your progress IS disappointing and you may want to check out your program and/or your techniques. Progress comes best with a systematic, long-term, building-block approach, with specific goals and objectives, and an understanding of the techniques to apply it. It's not rocket science, but you do need a plan.

If, on the other hand, you're playin' around at it once in a while, whenever the spirit moves you, or trying to do lessons during the commercials, you're probably where I would expect to be. Are you making the commitment?

JS
    ďDonít wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.Ē Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

sounds like you need to go back and reinforce everything with the collar.

I would make sure that you have Collar Conditioned your dog before trying to reinforce with electricity.

Are you following any type of structure program?
    Winners train......losers complain.....

Dan Lawler

I have been trying to follow Sean Dustins Retriever Fever Series. In some area's I feel she has done well and others...well hence the reason I'm here. He states that sometimes moving on and then sprinkling the ob in again after FF is sometimes the best thing for some dogs. If she doesn't have the ob down pat should I stop FF or continue then bring it back on later?
    Dan

I have been considering sending her to a pro for FF. Owens Station Delaware. a man by the name of Bill Wolters.
    Dan