RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

My wits end!!!!

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Misty Marsh 
#1 ·
OK, bare with me this is a bit lenghty. My girl is almost two years old. She is a passionate retriever. This dog lives to retrieve stuff. I have spent a lot of time training her and I'm really unhappy with where I'm at.

She heels good at times then looks at me like I'm stupid other. She loves water. When I use my remote launcher she does a very good job of retrieveing and with a little collar help comes back pretty reliable.

The here command is good when training and other times she once again looks at me like I'm stupid. I know she could be a great hunting dog and I want her to reach her best. I'm I expecting to much or I'm I way behind the game? Help.....!

#4 ·
wit

When you see a hole in your training, sometimes it's best to revisit that discipline from the beginning. Even though you've done it, it doesn't mean that your dog actually "got it." With the aid of a 25' or 50' lead you can get her back on track. I never over do treats, but a kibble of food as a reward is generally positive reenforcement.

#5 ·
smokejmp52 said:
OK, bare with me this is a bit lenghty. My girl is almost two years old. She is a passionate retriever. This dog lives to retrieve stuff. I have spent a lot of time training her and I'm really unhappy with where I'm at.

She heels good at times then looks at me like I'm stupid other. She loves water. When I use my remote launcher she does a very good job of retrieveing and with a little collar help comes back pretty reliable.

The here command is good when training and other times she once again looks at me like I'm stupid. I know she could be a great hunting dog and I want her to reach her best. I'm I expecting to much or I'm I way behind the game? Help.....!
I'm not sure where you live (suspect the west/NW with your name), but as is so often suggested, if you can get with a club or training group, that can be a significant help.

I think that if your dog is only 'pretty reliable' with 'collar help' (I'm assuming you mean you're having to nick her to get her to return to heel) at 2 ears you've got some pretty big gaps in OB and CC that you'll want to revisit...

I'm reading between the lines here, but I'd suggest you stop letting her retrieve 'stuff', and stick to bumpers and birds. When you aren't home, is someone else playing fetch as a game and failing to enforce a standard? Gonna have to hace same standard all the time...

10-15 minutes, twice a day on OB can make a huge difference and wouljd probably be a good place to re-start.

good luck, and keep us updated on progress.

#6 ·
smokejmp52 said:
....... I have spent a lot of time training her and I'm really unhappy with where I'm at .......
How much is "a lot of time"?

If you're working a half hour a day, 6 days a week, I would say your progress IS disappointing and you may want to check out your program and/or your techniques. Progress comes best with a systematic, long-term, building-block approach, with specific goals and objectives, and an understanding of the techniques to apply it. It's not rocket science, but you do need a plan.

If, on the other hand, you're playin' around at it once in a while, whenever the spirit moves you, or trying to do lessons during the commercials, you're probably where I would expect to be. Are you making the commitment?

JS

#9 ·
I have been trying to follow Sean Dustins Retriever Fever Series. In some area's I feel she has done well and others...well hence the reason I'm here. He states that sometimes moving on and then sprinkling the ob in again after FF is sometimes the best thing for some dogs. If she doesn't have the ob down pat should I stop FF or continue then bring it back on later?

#14 ·
I'd either seek a pro or buy the Evan Graham OB DVD and Vol I book for straters and make 100% sure that you have been fair and collar conditioned the dog properly. Keep your standard high and work on it religously for a few weeks withthe help of a pro of you can becuase going to a pro is great, but if you don;t know what your doing 2 months of pro obediamce work can be flushed down the drain in a coupple of days!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.