RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Your lightening guidelines????

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  ErinsEdge 
#1 ·
Set up the field this afternoon with the training group. Nice dry land set up with holding blinds (metal stakes) bumper boys, zinger wingers ( all with stick men, rebar driven into ground with wire coat hangers) Just as we got everything in place a pop up thunder storm rolled across the lake. We took cover in the guys work shop and drank beer. Quick as it rolled in, it rolled out. Rain stopped and to the north the sun came out. We could still see the storm, see the lightening are hear the thunder. But we were dry. We sat in the shop and drank more beer and remembered Sandy Sonntag. When she was struck at West Thompson, Ct. a few years back we lost a great person in the dog community and in the world. Finally it got to late to do anything, and we were out of beer. Did we waste the afternoon? Should we have gone out right after the rain stopped? What are your personal guidelines regarding lightening? It is the time of year for it.
Ken Bora

G
#2 ·
If you can see lightening, you stop training. Period... I know some folks, and even at tests, where people keep going. I won't run. I ran ONCE when the storm had moved off for a second. double went down, my poor dog couldn't see anything as the storm picked back up. I tried to run the blind, she couldn't see me. I picked her up and they didn't offer to rerun her, but I was so mad that I ran in lightening that i wanted to kick myself. I will NEVER do that again... It was STUPID.

Never mind that I picked her up, shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I remember the story about the lady in Connecticut and I share that with people when storms come up and they wonder why I don't want to run. That is a terrible tragedy with her husband there to witness it, from what I understand... There's nothing that needs to be done so badly that it's worth the risk. and the odds are slim to none, but tell that to her and her family...

-K

#3 ·
I find it impossible to focus when worried about getting hit by lightning.

If we hear thunder, we stop training until we no longer hear thunder.

When I was a kid growing up in Daytona, they taught us the 30/30 rule

From http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/lightning/lightning_safety.htm

The 30/30 rule
Any lightning safety plan should incorporate the 30/30 Rule. The 30/30 Rule states that people should seek shelter if the "Flash-To-Bang" delay (length of time in seconds between a lightning flash and its subsequent thunder), is 30 seconds or less, and that they remain under cover until 30 minutes after the final clap of thunder.

A 30 second lead time is necessary prior to a storm's arrival because of the possibility of distant strikes. A 30 minute wait after the last thunder is heard is necessary because the trailing storm clouds still carry a lingering charge. This charge can and does occasionally produce lightning on the back edge of a storm, several minutes after the rain has ended.

Studies have shown most people struck by lightning are struck not at the height of a thunderstorm, but before and after the storm has peaked. This shows many people are unaware of how far lightning can strike from its parent thunderstorm. DO NOT wait for the rain to start before seeking shelter, and do not leave shelter just because the rain has ended.

I feel the same responsibility when I am marshalling at a trial. I don't want the bird boys exposed to a risk that I will not accept for myself.

G
#5 ·
jeff t. said:
I find it impossible to focus when worried about getting hit by lightning.

If we hear thunder, we stop training until we no longer hear thunder.

When I was a kid growing up in Daytona, they taught us the 30/30 rule

From http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/lightning/lightning_safety.htm

The 30/30 rule
Any lightning safety plan should incorporate the 30/30 Rule. The 30/30 Rule states that people should seek shelter if the "Flash-To-Bang" delay (length of time in seconds between a lightning flash and its subsequent thunder), is 30 seconds or less, and that they remain under cover until 30 minutes after the final clap of thunder.

A 30 second lead time is necessary prior to a storm's arrival because of the possibility of distant strikes. A 30 minute wait after the last thunder is heard is necessary because the trailing storm clouds still carry a lingering charge. This charge can and does occasionally produce lightning on the back edge of a storm, several minutes after the rain has ended.

Studies have shown most people struck by lightning are struck not at the height of a thunderstorm, but before and after the storm has peaked. This shows many people are unaware of how far lightning can strike from its parent thunderstorm. DO NOT wait for the rain to start before seeking shelter, and do not leave shelter just because the rain has ended.

I feel the same responsibility when I am marshalling at a trial. I don't want the bird boys exposed to a risk that I will not accept for myself.
That's great to know. I had never heard of it. Thanks for sharing.

#6 ·
As a so called lightning survivor I am much more aware and nervous when thunder and lightning are around nothing to take for granted.

Prolly not a good Idea to sit next to me in the truck and ride it out either. :shock: :wink:

#7 ·
HI Ken
When we train we go by the rules that HRC has in place in their lightning policy. You shouldn`t be running dogs until 20 minutes after the last bolt of thunder is heard. I remember running a fun trial at Betsy Berhard`s a few years back and a storm rolled in. We stupidly kept running dogs to get finished up. We didn`t realise what we were up against. Now that I have lost a good friend, Sandy Sonntag, I am much more carefull. When we judged at Yankee Waterfowlers a month ago, we had lightning to deal with and belive me we took cover and stayed there until we were sure it was gone past. Our Marshall also would not have permitted us to run dogs anyhow, as she didn`t want to have any casualties. Smart on her part.

#10 ·
Sunday we had a training group out here. The clouds were starting to roll in and I was keeping a watchful eye out. Never did see a flash but soon heard a pretty loud clap of thunder and I ordered everybody out of the field and to get up the hill to our house. We had been running dogs since about 8 a.m. and it was around 10:30, too early to go grab some lunch, so we sat inside and discussed the day so far, talked about the various factors and how they had an effect on our dogs etc.... Since we had a varied group (some more experienced than others, it was quite informative.) When the storm had passed we noticed that it was now noon and went into town to get lunch. We returned and those who could stayed for a short water session and puppy play. I hate that we didn't get a full days training in, especially since I pulled the plug when Dave was getting ready to run Angel who is gettng ready for Seniors, but the old pool lifeguard/swimming instructor in me makes me err on the side of caution in most things especially with storms.

Ken, would you please tell a few of the details about Sandy's accident? I'm sure others will learn a valuable lesson from it.

#11 ·
Ken Bora said:
Set up the field this afternoon with the training group. Nice dry land set up with holding blinds (metal stakes) bumper boys, zinger wingers ( all with stick men, rebar driven into ground with wire coat hangers) Just as we got everything in place a pop up thunder storm rolled across the lake. We took cover in the guys work shop and drank beer. Quick as it rolled in, it rolled out. Rain stopped and to the north the sun came out. We could still see the storm, see the lightening are hear the thunder. But we were dry. We sat in the shop and drank more beer and remembered Sandy Sonntag. When she was struck at West Thompson, Ct. a few years back we lost a great person in the dog community and in the world. Finally it got to late to do anything, and we were out of beer. Did we waste the afternoon? Should we have gone out right after the rain stopped? What are your personal guidelines regarding lightening? It is the time of year for it.
Ken Bora
Sounds tragic enough for me....

/Paul

#12 ·
Ken Bora said:
Steve Amrein said:
As a so called lightning survivor I am much more aware and nervous when thunder and lightning are around nothing to take for granted.

Prolly not a good Idea to sit next to me in the truck and ride it out either. :shock: :wink:
so.... what happened??
It was last summer. Driving into a storm on the highway and thinking if safe if hit by lightning in car thinking. Should have been what it was like to win the lottery. Lightning hit the XM satelite antena and exited out the sensor on anti lock brakes. No warning like hair standing up on neck. The dog and I were not harmed or even feel it. It was loud and very bright and killed the truck including the electric brakes on the 10,000# trailer I was pulling. Coasted on to shoulder and waited for storm to pass. It took out every electronic smart part on the whole truck even the batteries. All covered on ins. minus deductable The bill was over 15G I was afraid it would total the truck. The only effect is both the dog and I dont like lightning in storms and my wife wont come near me during a storm:wink:

#13 ·
Steve Amrein said:
Ken Bora said:
Steve Amrein said:

so.... what happened??
It was last summer. Driving into a storm on the highway and thinking if safe if hit by lightning in car thinking. Should have been what it was like to win the lottery. Lightning hit the XM satelite antena and exited out the sensor on anti lock brakes. No warning like hair standing up on neck. The dog and I were not harmed or even feel it. It was loud and very bright and killed the truck including the electric brakes on the 10,000# trailer I was pulling. Coasted on to shoulder and waited for storm to pass. It took out every electronic smart part on the whole truck even the batteries. All covered on ins. minus deductable The bill was over 15G I was afraid it would total the truck. The only effect is both the dog and I dont like lightning in storms and my wife wont come near me during a storm:wink:
And, drum roll please.......your new nickname is "sparky."......to da....

/paul

#14 ·
Lady Duck Hunter said:
Ken, would you please tell a few of the details about Sandy's accident? I'm sure others will learn a valuable lesson from it.
This isn't the details of the tragic incident, but I thought some would like to know about this:

Finish Lines - Yankee Golden Retriever Club - Vol. 17 said:
Sandy Sonntag died tragically just
before our hunt test in 2002, and the club
donated a stone bench inscribed with her
name to the daffodil garden at
Riverview. In addition, we now offer a
perpetual trophy in Sandy’s name. The
trophy is awarded for exemplary service
to YGRC, Golden Retrievers, and the
community, in the spirit of Sandy’s life.
Nominations are made to the Board of
Directors, who vote upon those
nominations. I am thrilled and honored
to award this trophy for the first time to
someone who has devoted countless
hours to YANKEE, the community, the
breed in general and her own two dogs in
particular. For over 6 years, Yankee’s
public education coordinator has gone
into the Hollis NH schools with various
education programs, generously giving
her time and expertise to classrooms of
students. We will never be able to know
or appreciate the difference she has
made, the impact she has had upon
scores of students and their families and
their pets. I am very pleased to present
the Sandra Sonntag Memorial trophy to
Susan Lynch. Again, the other nominees
for this award are most deserving, and I
am proud that Yankee has, in Judith
Erlanger, Ann Houston, and Donna
Morgan, others also deserving of this
recognition.
The tragedy of Sandy's death was felt by so many retriever folks who knew her. Hopefully, many will remember and take extra precautions before, during and after storms.

Vicky

#15 ·
If I can see and hear it I am out of it. We are in the lightning capitol of the country and I try my best to avoid it at all cost. I got caught between three storms last night in the boat and was afraid my pants were not going to be clean when we made it back. I don't like it on land, but I like it even less in the wide open Gulf of Mexico.

Drink beer or play in the lightening?????

humm..............Does that really need an answer?

#17 ·
I'm thankful for the HRC's policy on lightning at hunt tests. Our Panhandle test over Father's day was interrupted by a heavy thunderstorm. The following weekend, our set up day saw all sorts of dangerous lightning in the area, and an eventual downpour that scattered everyone.

Bad weather with lightning can really cause a logistical nightmare, but, as we've been reminded frequently in those TV margarine commercials a few years back...."It's never nice to fool Mother Nature!" It's just not worth the gamble to try and play in it. That 30/30 rule mentioned by Jeff, should be learned and followed by all of us dog folks, whether testing or training.

UB

#18 ·
Lady Duck Hunter said:
It was the Friday afternoon before the test. Sandy's husband Andy was one of the judges. They (The judges) were setting up the morrows marks. A storm rolled in and they all sat together in I think 2 vehicles. The storm passed, Sandy got out of the car first to pick up some trash. A piece of orange ribbon or something like that, left from some other set up. From the back of the storm a bolt of lightening struck and killed her. The test went on. It was like running dogs at a wake.

#19 ·
lightening

Our present house took a hit a few years back. The washing machine motor took the brunt of that. Now, when we're having an electrical storm we unplug the washer, dryer, TV sets, computer, etc. In our old house about 30 years ago we had a good one. The woods to the north of us had one prominent pine tree. It was about 200 yards away and took a direct hit. Split the bark all the way down to the ground and turned a good portion of it into charcoal. To the south of us was an open horse pasture with mature woods on two sides. The field took a hit right in the middle about 100 yards from the house. So much for only the tall objects being in danger.

#20 ·
Thank you, Ken.

I don't think many people think about the danger after the storms pass and things are beginning to clear up. I know this was a horrible tragedy. I can't imagine how I would have felt being there.

I have seen the power of lightning. Once when I was about 10 or so I was out on my Grandmother's porch and saw a bolt hit a freshly plowed field about 500 yards away. I still remember the huge amount of dirt that was blasted into the sky.

Here on our place, we had an old dead tree that had fallen next to our big pond. We often used the tree's root ball to hide behind to throw marks when training. We came home from being away for a week and I saw that it had vanished. There was a perfect image of that tree, limbs and all burned into the ground, but there was nothing left of the majority of that tree. Another time a big mesquite tree down the hill from the house got hit. I was home for that one. when I went out the next day to check for fence damage etc...I saw where the tree had been exploded. There where huge chunks of it as far away as 50 feet.

People shouldn't think it can't happen to them. It can happen in the blink of an eye. I know I am one of the first to sound the alarm to pull everybody out of a field when I hear thunder, it goes back to my lifeguard/swimmming instructor days. Often I have to argue the point and I don't care if someone thinks I am an alarmist. Just get the heck out of the field! We can argue about it later and you can tell me I was wrong, but at least we'll all be there. It just isn't worth the risk.

#21 ·
Ken Bora said:
Lady Duck Hunter said:
It was the Friday afternoon before the test. Sandy's husband Andy was one of the judges. They (The judges) were setting up the morrows marks. A storm rolled in and they all sat together in I think 2 vehicles. The storm passed, Sandy got out of the car first to pick up some trash. A piece of orange ribbon or something like that, left from some other set up. From the back of the storm a bolt of lightening struck and killed her. The test went on. It was like running dogs at a wake.

And Andy saw the whole thing happen right before his eyes. He even rolled down the window to tell her to get back in the car because the storm had passed totally yet. What a tragedy................

#22 ·
We had the husband of an employee brought in the ER that was struck by lightning after the storm passed walking their dog. I believe the dog was ok. His body "lived" 3 days and on autopsy his organs were fried. I think the 30 minute rule after the storm passes is a good one. I never go outside after the storm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.