The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your lightening guidelines????

Default Re: Your lightening guidelines????

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora
    Set up the field this afternoon with the training group. Nice dry land set up with holding blinds (metal stakes) bumper boys, zinger wingers ( all with stick men, rebar driven into ground with wire coat hangers) Just as we got everything in place a pop up thunder storm rolled across the lake. We took cover in the guys work shop and drank beer. Quick as it rolled in, it rolled out. Rain stopped and to the north the sun came out. We could still see the storm, see the lightening are hear the thunder. But we were dry. We sat in the shop and drank more beer and remembered Sandy Sonntag. When she was struck at West Thompson, Ct. a few years back we lost a great person in the dog community and in the world. Finally it got to late to do anything, and we were out of beer. Did we waste the afternoon? Should we have gone out right after the rain stopped? What are your personal guidelines regarding lightening? It is the time of year for it.
    Ken Bora
    Sounds tragic enough for me....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Amrein
    As a so called lightning survivor I am much more aware and nervous when thunder and lightning are around nothing to take for granted.

Prolly not a good Idea to sit next to me in the truck and ride it out either.
    so.... what happened??
    It was last summer. Driving into a storm on the highway and thinking if safe if hit by lightning in car thinking. Should have been what it was like to win the lottery. Lightning hit the XM satelite antena and exited out the sensor on anti lock brakes. No warning like hair standing up on neck. The dog and I were not harmed or even feel it. It was loud and very bright and killed the truck including the electric brakes on the 10,000# trailer I was pulling. Coasted on to shoulder and waited for storm to pass. It took out every electronic smart part on the whole truck even the batteries. All covered on ins. minus deductable The bill was over 15G I was afraid it would total the truck. The only effect is both the dog and I dont like lightning in storms and my wife wont come near me during a storm
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

As a so called lightning survivor I am much more aware and nervous when thunder and lightning are around nothing to take for granted.

Prolly not a good Idea to sit next to me in the truck and ride it out either.
    so.... what happened??
    It was last summer. Driving into a storm on the highway and thinking if safe if hit by lightning in car thinking. Should have been what it was like to win the lottery. Lightning hit the XM satelite antena and exited out the sensor on anti lock brakes. No warning like hair standing up on neck. The dog and I were not harmed or even feel it. It was loud and very bright and killed the truck including the electric brakes on the 10,000# trailer I was pulling. Coasted on to shoulder and waited for storm to pass. It took out every electronic smart part on the whole truck even the batteries. All covered on ins. minus deductable The bill was over 15G I was afraid it would total the truck. The only effect is both the dog and I dont like lightning in storms and my wife wont come near me during a storm
    And, drum roll please.......your new nickname is "sparky."......to da....

/paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter
    Ken, would you please tell a few of the details about Sandy's accident? I'm sure others will learn a valuable lesson from it.
    This isn't the details of the tragic incident, but I thought some would like to know about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Finish Lines - Yankee Golden Retriever Club - Vol. 17, No. 1, January/February 2004
    Sandy Sonntag died tragically just
    before our hunt test in 2002, and the club
    donated a stone bench inscribed with her
    name to the daffodil garden at
    Riverview. In addition, we now offer a
    perpetual trophy in Sandy’s name. The
    trophy is awarded for exemplary service
    to YGRC, Golden Retrievers, and the
    community, in the spirit of Sandy’s life.
    Nominations are made to the Board of
    Directors, who vote upon those
    nominations. I am thrilled and honored
    to award this trophy for the first time to
    someone who has devoted countless
    hours to YANKEE, the community, the
    breed in general and her own two dogs in
    particular. For over 6 years, Yankee’s
    public education coordinator has gone
    into the Hollis NH schools with various
    education programs, generously giving
    her time and expertise to classrooms of
    students. We will never be able to know
    or appreciate the difference she has
    made, the impact she has had upon
    scores of students and their families and
    their pets. I am very pleased to present
    the Sandra Sonntag Memorial trophy to
    Susan Lynch. Again, the other nominees
    for this award are most deserving, and I
    am proud that Yankee has, in Judith
    Erlanger, Ann Houston, and Donna
    Morgan, others also deserving of this
    recognition.
    The tragedy of Sandy's death was felt by so many retriever folks who knew her. Hopefully, many will remember and take extra precautions before, during and after storms.

Vicky
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"

If I can see and hear it I am out of it. We are in the lightning capitol of the country and I try my best to avoid it at all cost. I got caught between three storms last night in the boat and was afraid my pants were not going to be clean when we made it back. I don't like it on land, but I like it even less in the wide open Gulf of Mexico.

Drink beer or play in the lightening?????

humm..............Does that really need an answer?
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Thank you, Vicky. I had not heard her story.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

I'm thankful for the HRC's policy on lightning at hunt tests. Our Panhandle test over Father's day was interrupted by a heavy thunderstorm. The following weekend, our set up day saw all sorts of dangerous lightning in the area, and an eventual downpour that scattered everyone.

Bad weather with lightning can really cause a logistical nightmare, but, as we've been reminded frequently in those TV margarine commercials a few years back...."It's never nice to fool Mother Nature!" It's just not worth the gamble to try and play in it. That 30/30 rule mentioned by Jeff, should be learned and followed by all of us dog folks, whether testing or training.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter
    Ken, would you please tell a few of the details about Sandy's accident? I'm sure others will learn a valuable lesson from it.
    It was the Friday afternoon before the test. Sandy's husband Andy was one of the judges. They (The judges) were setting up the morrows marks. A storm rolled in and they all sat together in I think 2 vehicles. The storm passed, Sandy got out of the car first to pick up some trash. A piece of orange ribbon or something like that, left from some other set up. From the back of the storm a bolt of lightening struck and killed her. The test went on. It was like running dogs at a wake.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Default lightening

Our present house took a hit a few years back. The washing machine motor took the brunt of that. Now, when we're having an electrical storm we unplug the washer, dryer, TV sets, computer, etc. In our old house about 30 years ago we had a good one. The woods to the north of us had one prominent pine tree. It was about 200 yards away and took a direct hit. Split the bark all the way down to the ground and turned a good portion of it into charcoal. To the south of us was an open horse pasture with mature woods on two sides. The field took a hit right in the middle about 100 yards from the house. So much for only the tall objects being in danger.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Thank you, Ken.

I don't think many people think about the danger after the storms pass and things are beginning to clear up. I know this was a horrible tragedy. I can't imagine how I would have felt being there.

I have seen the power of lightning. Once when I was about 10 or so I was out on my Grandmother's porch and saw a bolt hit a freshly plowed field about 500 yards away. I still remember the huge amount of dirt that was blasted into the sky.

Here on our place, we had an old dead tree that had fallen next to our big pond. We often used the tree's root ball to hide behind to throw marks when training. We came home from being away for a week and I saw that it had vanished. There was a perfect image of that tree, limbs and all burned into the ground, but there was nothing left of the majority of that tree. Another time a big mesquite tree down the hill from the house got hit. I was home for that one. when I went out the next day to check for fence damage etc...I saw where the tree had been exploded. There where huge chunks of it as far away as 50 feet.

People shouldn't think it can't happen to them. It can happen in the blink of an eye. I know I am one of the first to sound the alarm to pull everybody out of a field when I hear thunder, it goes back to my lifeguard/swimmming instructor days. Often I have to argue the point and I don't care if someone thinks I am an alarmist. Just get the heck out of the field! We can argue about it later and you can tell me I was wrong, but at least we'll all be there. It just isn't worth the risk.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady