Toxic Blue-Green Algae Blooms and Dogs
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Toxic Blue-Green Algae Blooms and Dogs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Yazoo City, Mississippi

    Default Toxic Blue-Green Algae Blooms and Dogs

    Recent threads have discussed this issue. However, my question is....who knows of confirmed deaths in the south?

    I work for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and recently brought this issue to the attention of someone within the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality and he stated that he was not aware of any cases within the state, but would like to know about any previous incidents with toxic blue-green algae blooms.

    As such, if you know of confirmed dog deaths and/or illness related to BG Algae in Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas or Louisiana please provide me with the following information (PM me if you prefer).

    Date, Location (State, County), number of deaths or illness



    p.s. For future reference, if you suspect a toxic algae bloom, please contact your state's Depart of Environmental Quality. This is the only way they will know of such events occuring and can take strides to implement monitoring programs, etc...

  2. Remove Advertisements

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Ridgeland Mississippi


    Randy, call Tammy Bell I bet she has some information that might help you. I do remember several posts on this site about this topic and at the time there were several people who knew dogs that had experienced this. Maybe those folks will post up again and give you the data you need. Thanks for working on this. Gene

  4. #3
    Senior Member TBell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Piney Point on Sardis Lake, MS



    Randy PM'd me about this. I really don't know anything about Blue-Green Algae in MS. It would be interesting to know if this occurs in the south.

    There are so many things out there that can hurt our dogs it is scary. (I try not to think about them too much....) I am glad that with RTF we can spread knowledge quickly about these dangers and potential treatments.

    Rusty died from Pythiosis which is a fungus-like water born pathogen. It comes from Pythium which causes root rot in plants. One form of Pythium attacks plants and animals. It is an emerging tropical disease which is spreading throughout the US.

    I made a website with information about the disease and potential treatments at I know of several cases in TX and FL this year.

    One in TX is being treated with the newer version of the canine vaccine. I am glad to say more research has been done on the curative vaccine, and the results are very promising. I was hoping to post something when the study was complete.

    Until then I will be glad to inform as many people as I can about the disease and keep my fingers crossed until we find a cure!

    Tammy Bell

  5. Remove Advertisements

  6. #4
    Senior Member Judy Chute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Falmouth, Maine


    Here is something that was just posted on the MRTC July Newsleter...

    Blue Green Algae Toxicity
    Report from MI after a dog’s death due to swimming and playing in an infected pond. This aglae exists in Maine too.

    Toxic to animals! (and humans)

    Blooms can occur at any time, but most often occur in late summer or early fall.

    They can occur in marine, estuarine, and fresh waters, but the blooms of greatest concern are the ones that occur in fresh water, such as drinking water reservoirs or recreational waters.

    Some cyanobacterial blooms can look like foam, scum, or mats on the surface of fresh water lakes and ponds. The blooms can be blue, bright green, brown, or red and may look like paint floating on the water. Some blooms may not affect the appearance of the water. As algae in a cyanobacterial bloom die, the water may smell bad.

    Some cyanobacteria that can form CyanoHABs (Harmful Algal Blooms) produce toxins that are among the most powerful natural poisons known. These toxins have no known antidotes.

    Swallowing water that has cyanobacterial toxins in it can cause acute, severe gastroenteritis (including diarrhea and vomiting).

    Liver toxicity (i.e., increased serum levels of liver enzymes). Symptoms of liver poisoning may takes hours or days to show up in people or animals. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.

    Kidney toxicity.

    Neurotoxicity. These symptoms can appear within 15 to 20 minutes after exposure. In dogs, the neurotoxins can cause salivation and other neurologic symptoms, including weakness, staggering, difficulty breathing, convulsions, And death. People may have numb lips, tingling fingers and toes, or they may feel

    For more information:

Similar Threads

  1. Avoiding toxic algae
    By Obabikon in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 03:42 PM
  2. Toxic blue green algea.
    By finkomania in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2009, 08:38 AM
  3. the Blue/Green algae is back in Champlain
    By Ken Bora in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 04:04 PM
  4. Blue-Green Algae Bloom????
    By Zack in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts