RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Been gone way too long............

4K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Trevor Toberny 
#1 ·
With the kid and all, my morning radio sessions have turned into talk radio or the Ticket (sports radio station).

Well, mama's out of town so grandma get's little man and I head to cowtown for a whiskey trip.

All I got to say is if you haven't got Stoney Larue's CD, go get it. One of the best artists I've heard in a long time.

#5 ·
Ken Guthrie said:
All I got to say is if you haven't got Stoney Larue's CD, go get it. One of the best artists I've heard in a long time.
Ya, pretty good. Never heard him before. Have to order his cd...

/Paul

#10 ·
Ken Guthrie said:
With the kid and all, my morning radio sessions have turned into talk radio or the Ticket (sports radio station).

Well, mama's out of town so grandma get's little man and I head to cowtown for a whiskey trip.
Man I don't understand Texan at some time, can someone translate into english?

Specifically heading down to Cowtown for a whiskey trip?

#11 ·
maxx said:
Ken Guthrie said:

cowtown = Ft. Worth

whiskey trip = lot's of crown royal, you know the drink. :wink:

#13 ·
Your right it is small. But that's what makes it so kewl. A local honky tonk at it's finest. We'll go early and get a steak dinner.

Usually a week night. I think the bigger bands are booked on the way to or on the way back from a bigger gig.

Cross Canadian Ragweed, Robert Earl Keen, etc, etc,,,,,

Angie

#14 ·
Ken Guthrie said:
maxx said:
Ken Guthrie said:

cowtown = Ft. Worth

:lol: :lol: Made perfect sense to me.

Texans don't have an accent everyone else does. :wink:

#17 ·
2-Dogs said:
Illinois Bob said:
Last night we saw Pure Prairie League and Poco play at a small outdoor concert.I don't know if anybody here ever used to listen to those guys but it was a pretty good show.Poco was excellent.
Did PPL play "Two-Lane Highway"? My all-time favorite...

ml
They did.And of course "Amie". Alot of stuff off of Bustin' Out and Two Lane Highway.I have to honestly say though that I thought Poco was better but they were both good.They seem to move around.Thursday night both bands and Firefall are in Omaha,Ne(Where ever that is) :shock:

#18 ·
Ken Guthrie said:
With the kid and all, my morning radio sessions have turned into talk radio or the Ticket (sports radio station)..

Well would you PLEASE start ranting about how the Rangers need to cut bait with the aging veterans that aren't performing (Catalanotto & Wilkerson) and bring up the guys in AAA that will be out of options at the end of this year (Botts & Cruz).

Botts especially, is absolutely abusing AAA (.390 BA w/ 30 doubles since mid- May). We don't need a repeat of the Travis Hafner fiasco (a worse trade than sending Sosa to the Cubs for Harold Baines)

#19 ·
DKR said:
Ken Guthrie said:
maxx said:
Ken Guthrie said:

cowtown = Ft. Worth

:lol: :lol: Made perfect sense to me.

Texans don't have an accent everyone else does. :wink:

Funny, I have been in the Air Force over 17yrs, traveled all over the world and back and every time I open my mouth anywhere, folks always, say, "so, you must be from Texas"...I say yes sir or yes ma'am....and I then say, well like I always say, you can become an American but you got to be born a Texan"....

Ken made perfect sense to me...but then I was born and raised in Garland, TX and lived there until I joined the Air Force in 1989.

Missing the Blue Bell ice cream, Ms. Bairds bread, days at the lake, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers (maybe not this year) and my family regards....

Greg

#20 ·
I've been in Washington DC nearly a decade and don't feel like I have much of an accent anymore, but as soon as I start talking people know where I'm from. Of course when I'm with my brothers or back home it comes back in a hurry.

Blue Bell, that's something I really miss. Along with state fair corn dogs and parking lots made to fit trucks.

I enjoyed this thread guys, made me remembe home a little. Not many folks up here listen to real music and damn few know what a honky tonk is.

DH

#21 ·
What about when you say "fixin" and folks that are not from Texas or thereabouts might say "What ya going to fix?"....

I also miss the Midway at the State Fair....but I don't miss the 100% humidity, the HEAT! :shock: , the ticks, fleas and FIRE ANTS! :x and feeling like I am in Mexico instead of Texas :wink:

Missing the best state in the Union however enjoying the mountains....regards,

Greg

#22 ·
retrevrman said:
What about when you say "fixin" and folks that are not from Texas or thereabouts might say "What ya going to fix?"....

I also miss the Midway at the State Fair....but I don't miss the 100% humidity, the HEAT! :shock: , the ticks, fleas and FIRE ANTS! :x and feeling like I am in Mexico instead of Texas :wink:

Greg
I tell you what Retrevman.................

If you ever get back this way and feel like shootin' a bird or maybe just drinking a beer at a local honky tonk................give me a shout.

The least I could do is buy the man a beer who protects my rights to listen to good ole' hillbilly music. :wink:

Forever grateful,

Ken Guthrie

#23 ·
Ken Guthrie said:
retrevrman said:

Greg

If you ever get back this way and feel like shootin' a bird or maybe just drinking a beer at a local honky tonk................give me a shout.

The least I could do is buy the man a beer who protects my rights to listen to good ole' hillbilly music. :wink:

Forever grateful,

Ken Guthrie
Your welcome and Roger that brother Ken...right back at ya if you are ever up Colorado way....so as a long time suffering Rangers fan do you think we will ever get back even close to what we had in the mid to late 90s??

Greg

#24 ·
retrevrman said:
Ken Guthrie said:
retrevrman said:

Greg

Forever grateful,

Ken Guthrie
Your welcome and Roger that brother Ken...right back at ya if you are ever up Colorado way....so as a long time suffering Rangers fan do you think we will ever get back even close to what we had in the mid to late 90s??

Greg
I love the Ballpark, have fond memories of Six Flags (as a kid back in the '60's!), have even rooted for the 'Boys (Dorsett, Hayes, Pugh, BB Lilly, Randy White and The Man under the hat; but never for an Irvin or Hollywood or the current nutcake in the owner's box), but I'll NEVER forgive the Rangers for screwing up my home-boy, David Clyde!

12 games behind in the Juice Box regards,

Mark

#25 ·
retrevrman said:

Greg
I had the great fortune of being around for one of those good seasons....99'.

What some don't realize, it's the guys at the top that make the important moves in order for a club to be successful.

Back then, Doug Melvin was making the moves. You see what he's doing now with a small market club in Milwaukee. :wink:

I don't know what the kid in place now will do, but trading Chris Young was the dumbest move ever. You could see that guy was gonna give you a solid 200 innings every year with his body type and mechanics.

Bottom line, pitching is the key. Kevin Milwood is a good #3 starter but he's considered the ace on this staff. Now if you have 5 Kevin Milwoods like the Rangers did in the late 90's........Helling, Sele, Clark, Burkett, Loiza, Morgan, ect...........then you can still compete.

Until that happens and you stop relying on AAA pitchers to win in the big leagues, the best you can hope for is a .500 season.

#26 ·
Ken Guthrie said:
retrevrman said:

Greg
I had the great fortune of being around for one of those good seasons....99'.

What some don't realize, it's the guys at the top that make the important moves in order for a club to be successful.

yea, what so happened to Adam Eaton, the guy they swapped with Chris Young?? What was their reasoning for trading him? What about the Travis Hafner move? Fransico Cordero leads the league in saves :shock:

Back then, Doug Melvin was making the moves. You see what he's doing now with a small market club in Milwaukee. :wink:

I don't know what the kid in place now will do, but trading Chris Young was the dumbest move ever. You could see that guy was gonna give you a solid 200 innings every year with his body type and mechanics.

Bottom line, pitching is the key. Kevin Milwood is a good #3 starter but he's considered the ace on this staff. Now if you have 5 Kevin Milwoods like the Rangers did in the late 90's........Helling, Sele, Clark, Burkett, Loiza, Morgan, ect...........then you can still compete.

Until that happens and you stop relying on AAA pitchers to win in the big leagues, the best you can hope for is a .500 season.
yea, what so happened to Adam Eaton, the guy they swapped with Chris Young?? What was their reasoning for trading him? What about the Travis Hafner move? Fransico Cordero leads the league in saves :shock:

I am just totally bummed this time every year....football has not started and the Rangers have been out of it since late May.

Yea, they Loiza...Sele...Moyer....I don't know...John (empty golf shirt as Galloway would call him) Hart sucked big time....

I did read an article on line today from jennifer floyd engel about how the Rangers did sign kenny lofton instead of paying Matthews Jr. big money and Lofton has better obp than Jr., and they did make some decent moves this year.

but it will always come down to the pitching, pitching...just like they traded Wilson Alvarez back in the day, traded Ron Darling to the Mets, Rob Nen, and some others I am forgetting....

I try my best to keep up on my D/FW sports via Star Telegram on line reading Galloways column...I used to listen to WBAP 820 at night with Galloway and then Coopersteen....

Man, gotta love sports in Texas...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.