Raising a Fire Breather Correctly - Page 6
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Raising a Fire Breather Correctly

I've had a fire eater, Hudson. But sometime it's the operator. I used to train with Terry Christopher and Dan Keilty. Hudson would not creep on them at all but with me it was game on. He would growl at Terry. He could hear Dan's voice from 50 yards away and he would start growling.

After this experience I started evaluating to ability to be trained to be steady with both the sire and dam before I bought a puppy.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 04-19-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Never saw Man in Black run but had a pup by him out of a Chopper bitch, man o man that little dog could run!
    I liked him. Really like him as a sire. Fun dog to run in training. I don't know if I would have enjoyed running him in a FT nearly as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    I liked him. Really like him as a sire. Fun dog to run in training. I don't know if I would have enjoyed running him in a FT nearly as much.
    Years ago when Ryan was with Danny, I shot flyers for him one day up in North Dakota. Cash impressed me in every way that day. He ran better, looked better and just carried himself in a way that stood out compared to the other dogs on the truck. Since I was at the flyer station, I didn't get to observe his line manners, but he was sure a nice dog.
    Matt McKenzie

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Never saw Man in Black run but had a pup by him out of a Chopper bitch, man o man that little dog could run!

Jeff, you have seen Cosmo run? Heard stories and wish I had seen him. I own two Cosmo offspring and trained a couple more. I'm a big fan!!
    Steve, yes. several times. I was gunning quite a bit then. When I asked Jimmy who to breed to ( Midknight Code Breaker x Zip Code daughter ) Spud or Cosmo he said Cosmo. He wasn't titled at the time either. He was on a 20 yard rubber band on the line though

Jeff
    Last edited by labsforme; 04-19-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

Quote Originally Posted by bamajeff View Post
    I've heard some 'interesting' stories about how they used to try and 'take the edge off' Cosmo before he ran. Would have loved to see him run. I'll bet it was a sight to behold win, lose, or draw.
    Cosmo is on top and bottom of Rocket Dog's pedigree. I'm told she was the feistiest pup in the litter. She woulda probably gone to a FT home had she been EIC negative, but she's a carrier. I lucked out. And I'm not saying this to be sarcastic.

I must tell you though. When not training or running she lives in the house and will sleep all day if nothing interesting is happening.
    Last edited by 1tulip; 04-19-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

One thing these "fire breathers" being referenced have in common: "FC" in front of their names.
    So perhaps certain "fire breathers" are desirable (ie, those mentioned) vs the unnamed who are also fire breathers but lack other things - intelligence, biddability and titles.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Cosmo is on top and bottom of Rocket Dog's pedigree. I'm told she was the feistiest pup in the litter. She woulda probably gone to a FT home had she been EIC negative, but she's a carrier. I lucked out. And I'm not saying this to be sarcastic.

I must tell you though. When not training or running she lives in the house and will sleep all day if nothing interesting is happening.
    Just as an FYI many trial people are not concerned about having a carrier female. Many clear studs to breed to. They are concerned about trial results.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    One thing these "fire breathers" being referenced have in common: "FC" in front of their names.
    So perhaps certain "fire breathers" are desirable (ie, those mentioned) vs the unnamed who are also fire breathers but lack other things - intelligence, biddability and titles.
    Exactly.
    just because some dog may be a fire breather, doesn't mean....they are any good.
    Many are not.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Firebreathers may also be the ADHD of the dog world also, especially when the owner is not experienced and refuses to go to a pro.
    Definition: Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a brain disorder marked by an ongoing pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development and lack of focus. They are bred just too high, and people linebreeding on that trait intensifies the trait and not the focus of a good dog.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    Firebreathers may also be the ADHD of the dog world also, especially when the owner is not experienced and refuses to go to a pro.
    Definition: Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a brain disorder marked by an ongoing pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with functioning or development and lack of focus. They are bred just too high, and people linebreeding on that trait intensifies the trait and not the focus of a good dog.
    And this is where the training element comes in... and why beginning when they're young and their brains are very plastic that makes the difference. To teach them to focus on what matters and ignore what doesn't. To whit... the main focus should be on their handler and what dog and handler do together.

ADHD is real, but you have to remember that it has some evolutionary purpose. So since we're making an analogy between people and dogs, let me offer an observation from my 45 year career in nursing and nursing education: The nurses who make the BEST members of a high tier ED staff have ADHD to some degree or another. They can "focus" on two trauma bays during a mass casualty at the same time and keep everything organized in their heads. Seeing the chest tube go in, blood on the floor, what the patient's blood type is, how many liters of saline have gone in, when the blood bank will be sending the next units of packed cells up, which anesthesiologist is on second call, where the families of both patients are, does momma have her oldest son at her side at this point and so on. The main thing is... they can keep it straight. They are "distracted" but not. And I wanta tell you, these nurses (and their professors) did not enjoy their time in school.

So, ADHD isn't a bad thing. It just requires that a dog or human learns to manage and deal with their sensory input.
    Last edited by 1tulip; 04-21-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult