RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Latest on EIC.

5K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  Aussie 
#1 ·
The defective gene responsible for EIC has been identified. The University of Minnesota hopes a DNA based test will be available within the year.

Good on 'em.

#9 ·
It would be nice if the mode of inheritance is such that effected dogs can be eliminated without too much further narrowing of the gene pool. :?

#13 ·
Aussie thanks for the great news! I had heard they had it narrowed down to a pretty small area back in early May and where beginning to sequence the genes. Hope the test gets here fast, maybe then folks will quit breeding known producers.

#14 ·
If they have identified the gene, why don't they (the researchers) make an announcement instead of leaking information which just starts rumors?

I would rather hear from them that they have had some success and know that a test is in the future...

#15 ·
Aussie said:
The defective gene responsible for EIC has been identified. The University of Minnesota hopes a DNA based test will be available within the year.

Good on 'em.
Have they figured out if there is a mode of inheritance or is it in fact just a defective gene?

#17 ·
Does this mean that there will also be a test for diagnosis of dogs that may have the disorder?

#20 ·
But how about the diagnosis? I think that there is so much controversy on whether the dog has EIC or something else - will it actually help determine if the dog is affected or just a carrier?

#21 ·
If it is caused by an autosomal recessive gene, the test will be similar to the CNM test. Dogs will be clear, carriers or affected.

#22 ·
Thanks...

#23 ·
Just to confirm Aussie great news here is an email from Katie Minor at UM, I received today.
Hi Michael, We believe we may have found it. Right now we are running additional tests to confirm our finding, but it looks like we may be publishing soon. All I can say about it, is that it looks to be autosomal recessive. Katie

#25 ·
There needs to be a process that provides full disclosure of test results like the CNM white list or some similar means of official public disclosure. While some involved in breeding have been forthright with health information about their dogs other breeders and owners of well-known studs have denied and continue to deny that there are any health issues related to pups produced by their dogs. Further they continue to breed as if there are no issues, damn the effect on the field Labrador breed. So now is the time that an outcry by the consuming public is needed to insure that politics do not result in private testing with no disclosure.

The CNM white list seems to be working. It is helping breeders, stud owners and pup buyers make informed decisions. Further, there seems to be a prevalent common-sense attitude that if a dog is not on the white list, then the dog is being treated like a carrier. Let's keep the pressure on for the eventual testing agency to commit to public disclosure of test results.

#26 ·
GD you are exactly right! At this point in time the number of carriers of EIC from popular studs is HUGE (50% of litter) to say the least and then don't forget about the affected! One only has to look at the classified section here on RTF to see the names of studs and bitches know to throw the gene. The sad thing is you are right, almost all the owners have been aware of the problems with their animals and have continued to breed (all in the name of bettering the breed). Well, for may years after the field trailing world has their EIC free dogs, thousands upon thousands of EIC carriers and affect will continue to be breed by plain old folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.