RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hydration

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim Harvey 
#1 ·
Anybody have any experience with baiting water with Glycerol in order to hyperhydrate a dog prior to trianing or testing. I've been reading a great deal about this and wondering if anybody has any first hand experience?

#3 ·
I've tried doing this with my own dog (he is BARF fed and as a result isn't used to drinking much water as his normal feed is about 80% water) but he simply isn't interested in drinking it (i've also tried getting him to drink a maltodextrin mix after intense training but again he isn't keen)

Any suggestions for making "treated" water more palatable?

I've read about something called K9 godog anyone had any experience using that? If it is as good as it sounds (doubtful as it looks like marketing BS) then I may try to import some in the UK.

Thanks.

(sorry to hijack your thread BTW Charles!)

#4 ·
Charles, I have written in detail about this subject before. (Check my posts)

Briefly,.. I use a glycerol based product (90% glycerol) 2-3 times a week while training down here in FL. Also use on my FT fellow who is in WI, and has always run very warm. (BIG DIFFERENCE for him almost was at a pont of retirement before "H") It is a product called Elements "H" which is a concentrated liquid that MUST be diluted with water, when diluted it acts to improve fluid retention within the muscle cells beyond what is possible with plain water. It does work! A number of the very top pros use it, hasn't been promoted very much. It is a bit of pain to use, but for me it is well worth the trouble!

TWO IMPORTANT NOTES!

Average size dog 65 lbs should try to get get at leat 32 ozs of the solution down 1-2 hours before training. Needs to get entire amount down. Effect will last 5-7 hours.

Never had a dog that would drink without baiting. I end up using about 1/2 cup of food to get dog to take the entire amount.

#5 ·
Another thing to remember is to shake it well and make sure dogs drink it fast. Don't leave it sitting in the bowl, as it will settle out quickly and can do severe organ damage. As I said earlier I will send you the article if you can't find it. It can be very beneficial in VERY strenuous hunting, but I cant empasize enough that You have to do it right or you can hurt your dog badly

#7 ·
I used to make the solution with glycerin and maltodextrin to give in the warm months but now I use Rehydration tabs and the dogs drink it better than the the glycol solution.
If you do not want to spend the money on the tabs I used to bait my glycol solution with a little bit of dog food but not much just enough to give it a little flavor.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info.

I am interested mostly in the ability to hyperhydrate and understand the glycogen or glycogen products are used for energy store recovery which would be given post exercise. What about long term affect of glycerol dosing? I now over dose could lead to Kidney damage. Is this something you would only do during the hot months or throught the season? I'm in North Mississippi, today the high will be 98 w/humidity in 80% range. I road my dogs three times a week, early mornings. Do everything I can to condition them to the heat. Our first test is late August, the heat will not be any better till October.

#9 ·
Charles, glycerol when mixed at a rate of 1-5% WILL NOT damage a dog's liver or any other organ. No matter what else you read on the site posted by others! The only time you could have a problem is if the dog is given a 100% glycerol solution for a number of days. It takes a pretty dumb person to do this, but it happens I guess. I doubt any dog would drink it, but then again it could happen. I have been using Elements "H" 3-4 times per week for over one year and I have my dog's over all condition checked 4X per year. 100% good!

Only issue is this, I would not suggest making your own in order to save a buck or two. When it gets out of solution, it could become a problem. Elements "H" DOES NOT EVER GET OUT OF SOLUTION no matter what any body else on this site says. Yes, it cost about 35$ for 1/2 gallon but the way I look at it is, is 35$ worth it to my dog.

Jim Harvey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.