The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Fliers/High Rollers/Type A Dogs

Default High Fliers/High Rollers/Type A Dogs

Curious to get opinions on this -- Do you like a High Powered dog ??? Training for FTs is this the type of dog you look for ??? Pros and Cons of High Rollers/High Fliers/Type A dogs for FTs ??? for HTs ??? for hunting ???
    "When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog! Point the finger at yourself." -- Rex Carr

Happiness is puppy breath!!!!!

"FC" stands for Friend and Companion!!!!!

Ducksoup Kennels
    Home Of The Springwaters Quick To Maxx (my "FC")
    Mike Ormsby, Ontario, Canada

Yes, I'll take the dog that would rather retrieve than eat and barely breaks stride running through that wall. These "type A" will give you their all but you need to do the same. They make you pay attention and anticipate.
    That's what makes it fun!

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Love the "Type A's". I'm a Type A myself and my motto with dogs is the Boy Scout slogan: "Be Prepared" cause those "A's" really keep you on your toes.
    Suzanne B

When I first got involved in this insanity I really wanted those high rollers. I just couldn't understand why you would want anything else. It became clear to me over the years however that sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. With the right dog the rewards are great but the frustration level can be off the charts with these types of dogs.
    When it goes right they are exciting to watch.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by saltmarsh
    With the right dog the rewards are great but the frustration level can be off the charts with these types of dogs.
    When it goes right they are exciting to watch.
    I'm not qualified to say whether or not my dog is an "A" but he's definately more than I've had to handle before.Saltmarsh says it well here.With this dog,everything is 110%.Good and bad.When he's bad he puts in all that extra effort there too.When he's good,what a blast to watch
    and be with.

A's and B's both have their inviting points. I have one of each and a third that may be a C. A couple of evenings ago, in a marking setup, both older dogs went back to an old fall. Don't know why that setup blew both dogs mind but it did. Got both their butts with the collar. The B dog was still mad when we got home, the A dog sprinted back to the line, shook his head and said "good burn, what's next".

Having both or all three will challenge you as a trainer. Especially us non-pros.
    Courage-being scared to death but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

If you don't know where you're going, every road will get you there.

Pick your battles. Be sure they're small enough to win but big enough to matter.

"the A dog sprinted back to the line, shook his head and said "good burn, what's next"

That's CLASSIC !!

They make for a very long hunt in a boat!
    The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
    - Edmund Burke

So I see by the majority of posts that most seem to like the Type A or high roller -- so what would you advise a owner of one of these fire breathers who get higher and higher in FTs and seem to decide to do it their way (don't understand the concept of "team" totally yet) or just "zone" out; dog trains like a dream but in FTs can come undone sometimes -- runs a few series in great shape; just wants that bird more than anything -- beyond being with a pro with a few dogs or an experienced amateur with lots of time and who knows how to work with a high flier, what can an average owner do in training to get a "handle" on this dog (to lay down the rules so to speak) -- this is a dog that dragged the owner up to line as a puppy but listened fairly well while at owner's home (away from training/FT setting) -- a dog that's been on truck for better part of year so hasn't had "home vacation" for a while -- a dog that the pro feels will never "respect" the owner -- would going back to obedience work and going back through Basics and/or collar conditioning help reinforce this "bond" -- pro has done all the training since 6 months and run the dog since year old; pro has set down rules and reinforced so dog /pro reasonably competitive team in FT -- dog is almost 2 years old -- pro's opinion is that dog needs to mature as well before he finally gets it that this is a team sport/puts it together -- when dog is "on" nothing can touch him, but when "off" then all hell can break loose -- if can get "handle" on dog, owner wishes to continue in FTs and maybe HTs
    "When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog! Point the finger at yourself." -- Rex Carr

Happiness is puppy breath!!!!!

"FC" stands for Friend and Companion!!!!!

Ducksoup Kennels
    Home Of The Springwaters Quick To Maxx (my "FC")
    Mike Ormsby, Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ducksoup
    So I see by the majority of posts that most seem to like the Type A or high roller -- so what would you advise a owner of one of these fire breathers..... pro has set down rules and reinforced so dog /pro reasonably competitive team in FT --
    Sounds like you need a conversation with the pro. Do what they did and you have a chance at the same result.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!