The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Whelping Services

Default Whelping Services

I was contacted by a person who bought a pup from a litter of mine, wondering if I would be interested in whelping and raising a litter out of his female. I am stumped as to what a reasonable price would be. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance, Gary
    Gary Metzger
    Blacks and Chocolates born Dec.14th, 2013 Dynamic Fisherman MH QAA X Bustin' Waters Go With The Flo
    www.bustinwaterkennels.com Designed by Carrie Carlson aka Boondux on RTF

I think I paid the price of two puppies and all expenses. It was a great deal. The professional whelper I used, however, lost an entire litter one time to camphlobacter (sp?). If something like that happens you're screwed!

Everything split down the middle, profits and expenses is what works out between my friends.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Everything split down the middle is what a friend of mine does.
    nobody can fully understand the meaning of love unless he is owned by a dog - Gene Hill

Banned

I prefer that the profit is split after expenses.

Angie

I have a set rate for up to a certain number of puppies and then a price per puppy if over that number. Litter owner is responsible for all expenses and must have a credit card on record with my vet clinic ( which is also the reproductive clinic in town). We clearly identify my responsibilities and the litter owners responsibilities --such as marketing the pups; AKC paperwork; how to handle prospective buyers; shipping of pups; litter testing; do you charge extra if there are puppies that need alot of extra help ( tubing;

The single biggest issue ( to me) is making sure it is someone I feel comfortable whelping a litter for. It must be a person who truly understands that despite your BEST efforts, bad things can happen which can include loss of puppies; entire litter or the bitch and huge vet bills. They must trust that I will do everything I can do to ensure healthy pups but sometimes it isnt enough. I will not whelp a litter for someone who I feel does not understand the risks and/or is likely to be a difficult or unreasonable person to deal with. Do not underestimate the responsibility or increased stress level.

Teri Jakob

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B
    I prefer that the profit is split after expenses.

When my wife and I built our new house 2 years ago, we built a place specifically for bitches in season and/or puppies. A local pro asked us about us taking a litter when we didn't have one of our own (and since we now don't have a breedable female, we won't have a litter for the foreseeable future).

The deal we had worked out was the same Angie recommended above.

Note: we're not actively seeking to do it, but it's not something we would turn down if someone needed it.
    --
    Chris Barnes

Thanks for all your responses, they were all great help. I lost my female last winter to a car, she was 20 days pregnant. I miss the pups. Thanks again, Gary
    Gary Metzger
    Blacks and Chocolates born Dec.14th, 2013 Dynamic Fisherman MH QAA X Bustin' Waters Go With The Flo
    www.bustinwaterkennels.com Designed by Carrie Carlson aka Boondux on RTF