RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Whelping Services

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Bustin' 
#1 ·
I was contacted by a person who bought a pup from a litter of mine, wondering if I would be interested in whelping and raising a litter out of his female. I am stumped as to what a reasonable price would be. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance, Gary

#3 ·
Everything split down the middle, profits and expenses is what works out between my friends.

#6 ·
I have a set rate for up to a certain number of puppies and then a price per puppy if over that number. Litter owner is responsible for all expenses and must have a credit card on record with my vet clinic ( which is also the reproductive clinic in town). We clearly identify my responsibilities and the litter owners responsibilities --such as marketing the pups; AKC paperwork; how to handle prospective buyers; shipping of pups; litter testing; do you charge extra if there are puppies that need alot of extra help ( tubing;

The single biggest issue ( to me) is making sure it is someone I feel comfortable whelping a litter for. It must be a person who truly understands that despite your BEST efforts, bad things can happen which can include loss of puppies; entire litter or the bitch and huge vet bills. They must trust that I will do everything I can do to ensure healthy pups but sometimes it isnt enough. I will not whelp a litter for someone who I feel does not understand the risks and/or is likely to be a difficult or unreasonable person to deal with. Do not underestimate the responsibility or increased stress level.

Teri Jakob

#7 ·
Angie B said:
I prefer that the profit is split after expenses.

When my wife and I built our new house 2 years ago, we built a place specifically for bitches in season and/or puppies. A local pro asked us about us taking a litter when we didn't have one of our own (and since we now don't have a breedable female, we won't have a litter for the foreseeable future).

The deal we had worked out was the same Angie recommended above.

Note: we're not actively seeking to do it, but it's not something we would turn down if someone needed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.