The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Concerned???

Default Very Concerned???

3 weeks ago I took a 16mo. ylf to the vet that I was training. I contacted the owner to advise him of my concern. The dog had a "peeping" sound during heavy panting and she seemed to have picked up a limp coming from her shoulder. The vet did a lot of checks and really didn't have a answer for the "peep" because she could not duplicate it, but did find some swelling in the underside of her kneck. She felt she had a bacteria infection and perscribed a antbiotic. As far as the limp was concerned she had said that during compression she was tender in her shoulder but not on extension. She felt that she had pulled a muscle and gave some pain meds. and instructed 2 weeks of rest. I sent the her home with her owner and he did as the Dr. ordered. She said if she was not doing really well after the rest to bring back for x-rays. After the rest period the owner started back light exercise and short swims for a week. He gave me a call and said she was doing really well and felt she was ready to get back to work. He brought her by on Monday and she looked really good (a little overweight). I started her out with light duty just to make sure she was doing well, and she seemed to be. Yesterday dicided to stretch her out a little at a time and she was doing really well until we did a live flyer. Now this pup has a TON of motor, she was sent for the flyer ( 60 yd.) and she made it about 40-50 yards and crashed hard. The terain we were working on is very smooth with no hazzards. When I got to her she was limping really bad, so off to the emergency vet we go. She is still there and have not heard from the Dr. yet. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm really upset at this point wondering if I rushed her, but she really did look a hundred %.

Default Re: Very Concerned???

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrise Kennels
    3 weeks ago I took a 16mo. ylf to the vet that I was training. I contacted the owner to advise him of my concern. The dog had a "peeping" sound during heavy panting and she seemed to have picked up a limp coming from her shoulder. The vet did a lot of checks and really didn't have a answer for the "peep" because she could not duplicate it, but did find some swelling in the underside of her kneck. She felt she had a bacteria infection and perscribed a antbiotic. As far as the limp was concerned she had said that during compression she was tender in her shoulder but not on extension. She felt that she had pulled a muscle and gave some pain meds. and instructed 2 weeks of rest. I sent the her home with her owner and he did as the Dr. ordered. She said if she was not doing really well after the rest to bring back for x-rays. After the rest period the owner started back light exercise and short swims for a week. He gave me a call and said she was doing really well and felt she was ready to get back to work. He brought her by on Monday and she looked really good (a little overweight). I started her out with light duty just to make sure she was doing well, and she seemed to be. Yesterday dicided to stretch her out a little at a time and she was doing really well until we did a live flyer. Now this pup has a TON of motor, she was sent for the flyer ( 60 yd.) and she made it about 40-50 yards and crashed hard. The terain we were working on is very smooth with no hazzards. When I got to her she was limping really bad, so off to the emergency vet we go. She is still there and have not heard from the Dr. yet. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm really upset at this point wondering if I rushed her, but she really did look a hundred %.

Which leg? Is the lameness on the same leg as before she went home?

Where in NC are you located?

Jeff
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

I had a young setter prospect a few years back that broke down the same way. Xray's revealed Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD). Easy to find by searching inter net. Not sure if thats the case but it sound's like what I went thru.

Jeff, It is the same leg, right front. I am just east of Wilson.

I will do a search on OCD.

You haven't asked for advice, but I would:

1. Keep the dog as inactive as possible until there is a definite diagnosis (crate rest with leash walks)

2. Get the dog to the vet and have x rays done asap. I'm surprised that this wasn't done at the initial visit.

3. If there is any doubt whatsoever regarding the nature of the injury, have the dog evaluated by Dr. John Sherman at VetHab in Raleigh.

Dr. Sherman is accustomed to diagnosing lameness issues associated with working retrievers. I go to him for all lameness issues in my dogs. You are only an hour away from him. I would have the same advice if you were much further away from Raleigh.

Good luck,

Jeff
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart

Thanks Jeff. She is at the vet, took her when she went down yesterday and she is still there. I have not heard from her or the owner yet. The vet you spoke of in Raleigh has a great reputation. One of his students opened a hospital here in Wilson. She did consult with him on the original visit. I think she wanted to do x-rays at that time but that was between her and the owner of the dog.I am getting ready to call her.

Also check for tick stuff-
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Kristie Wilder

So the peeping sound is related to breathing -- is it on inhale, exhale or both?

And the lameness seems to coincide with the peeping?

That sounds really scary.

I will say this... Sounds similar... We had a BLF in training and she seemed to stay panting longer than usual, seemed tired. Over the course of the next hour or two (we were resting her in the house on some blankets while we finished work with the dogs), her breathing got worse.

A client/nurse rushed her to our vet. During that trip, her breathing got so bad, my client was afraid she was going to lose her as she was getting very weak.

Long story short... She had a huge abscess in her throat that was cutting off her air supply. They lanced it and it was over. But you could not see it. It was inside. If we hadn't rushed her to the vet, I can't believe she would have lived.

What I wonder is if the peeping sound is related to the airway closing? And she dropped because her air supply was weak or non-existent?

And if it's also causing lameness, I wonder if the dog in question could have some sort of abscess or cyst or something that's putting pressure on the shoulder and airway at the same time?

I'm only wondering from my experience with my client dog. Something to think about.

Also, I wonder if it's simply something in her throat and the lameness is simply her way of trying to shake it off, so to speak.

Anyway, I hope you get your answer. And we'll pray she's better soon.

-Kristie

Thought about this dog today. How is it doing now?

Jeff
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart

Her health is doing really well. She had several weeks rest and doing good. I put up another post (put on your thinking caps) because I think some things are going on @ her home. Having some training difficulties since she has been back. I may have to purchase this pup to keep her attitude up about training.