The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: west thompson dam traffic advisory

Default west thompson dam traffic advisory

apparently, the rangers at the dam have a new toy.....a radar gun!

at last weekend's hunt test they were handing out warnings to speeding violators. (10 mph limit)

people were stopped for as little as 13 mph.

if you attend Yankee Waterfowlers this weekend, watch your speed; it may not be warnings this weekend.

this is just the latest thing they have done to discourage our use of the area. since my first trial at the site in 1991, the area open to our use has shrunk by approx. 65% while the fees have been quadrupled. no gunfire after 6pm. most areas that afford shade are off limits, a real concern here in the summer months. this impacts the activities of 4 clubs, which hold 5 hts, a licensed ft and numerous training days and sanctioned trials.

i really believe that their stategy is to squeeze us, bake us and raise the fees until we stop using the area voluntarily.

if not for Canman's generosity we would not have enough area for a full slate of stakes at our events. thankyou, sir! if you're reading this, and plan to attend, please thank James for his support of our sport and his hospitality.-paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Default Re: west thompson dam traffic advisory

Quote Originally Posted by paul young
    i really believe that their stategy is to squeeze us, bake us and raise the fees until we stop using the area voluntarily.
    -paul
    heck Paul if folk put up with the Ticks they will put up with anything Do bike riders still ride through the set-ups? How about Slimesberry?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

at w. thompson, the public still has legal access to all areas- even when we pay the fees and an event is in progress. several of the locals make sure to disrupt every event, passing thru the area as slowly as possible. this despite park-erected signage that advises them of the areas we use sugesting alternate routes....

simsbury is a different story. that is administered by the state, and is supposedly closed to the public during our events. this is not enforced and never will be. the DEP doesn't want confrontation with the public.-paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Paul I attended the hunt test this weekend and the surrounding public I found to be extremely rude. It seemed as though they came out in force with all their dogs and instead of going to the ramp they all strolled down the road and ignored any type of common curtesy. This was the worst I have ever seen it there. It should be a major concern and the clubs should address the problem now. This is a call to all military veterans who run dogs to maybe start writing letters to other sources. It is the corp of engineers who are controlled by the military and a chain of command that goes to D.C. Strategy!!!
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz
    Paul I attended the hunt test this weekend and the surrounding public I found to be extremely rude. It seemed as though they came out in force with all their dogs and instead of going to the ramp they all strolled down the road and ignored any type of common curtesy. This was the worst I have ever seen it there. It should be a major concern and the clubs should address the problem now. This is a call to all military veterans who run dogs to maybe start writing letters to other sources. It is the corp of engineers who are controlled by the military and a chain of command that goes to D.C. Strategy!!!
    Can't those rude people with their dogs be fined by the AKC?
    Terry Britton, P.E.

Engineers believe that if it isn't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Default W Thompson Dam

Paul,

Thank you for posting! I too have noticed the ever increasing opposition from the general public to our sport and felt the antagonism. More so over at Delaney in Stowe, MA. The neighbors blocked the gate one day so no one could get out!

What I don't understand is why, if the property is open to the public (which is all of us taxpayers), that we have to pay such high fees to use the property. You would think that we would have use of certain areas exclusively, as limited as they are! Do the "neighbors" not realize that they pay no more in taxes than we do to use this property?

And yes, you are so right! if it weren't for James Dean, we would be in big trouble....Thank you very much Canman! I always feel much more welcome on your property!

Venting over...

Diane
    Max, Maggie, Houston & (Orion)
    Avatar courtesy of Marsha Wilcox Photography

I have also seen it at the Stewart Airport Property in NY. Total disrespect by a few do goobers on the property. I think it is because the grounds are close to large populations.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Thought I'd add to the general topic. I received the following info recently and wish to pass it on for those who enjoy the Nod Brook property in Simsbury, CT:

"A major developer has filed an application to develop the property adjacent to the Nod Brook WMA.* The proposal is for a combination of retail space, office space, an inn, townhouses and “upscale homes”.* The homes would be located along the bike path, putting them opposite the top of the hill of the north fields.* There is an initial meeting of the Simsbury Planning Commission on August 14, 2007 at 7:00 PM in the town hall auditorium to hear the applicant’s presentation.* The agenda seems to suggest that public comment will be taken at a second meeting on September 11, 2007.* A view of the proposal can be seen at www.riveroaks-simsbury.com.* Click on both the site plan and the neighborhood plan pdf files to get the layouts.
    It’s hard to tell from the screen just how this will affect the 500 foot hunting limit from the new residences.* Unless the new homeowners are sportsmen, we should anticipate an increase in complaints about the shooting aspects of the trials, and an increase in unleashed dogs to contend with.* The application requires a change in the zoning regulations in order to proceed.* I think this should be looked at carefully and I said I’d pass the word. "

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Britton
    Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz
    Can't those rude people with their dogs be fined by the AKC?
    Terry - the problem is that these folks are members of the general public who just stroll thru the HT area. Some realize what they have stumbled into and hurry through and apologize, some take their sweet time, and some I honestly think, plan to stroll thru and intentionally disrupt the test. They have a "right" to be there as it is a public facility, so there is not much you can do about when running tests there. I have seen several heated discussions between the walkers (with and without dogs) and the gunners over the past few years. Since it is a public park, I do not think the clubs can exclude these "trespassers."
    A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down. -Robert Benchley