The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a Good Night!

Default Not a Good Night!

I got out of work early & headed out to train. Set up what I felt were really good marks. Ran one w/ the idea of building a double. Put my dog up so I could re-load and...

..I lost my Dogtra transmitter for the wingers. I looked for an hour and 20 minutes & was beside myself. I primarily train alone & was feeling pretty good about the ideas I had for this week & now this! I'm going to go on line & see what a replacemnt will cost & how quickly I can get one. Aaaaagh!

It felt like my whole night, week, last couple of Derbies were ruined & then I read the thread on Devil & it put things in perspective. I may not get to train the rest of the week, but it's a minor blip on the radar compared to a loss like that. You don't realizze how small your problems really are until you hear about what someone else is going through.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you can’t take it back…"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Miriam -

I feel your pain. I got home from the Elkton D/Q's. Didn't train on Saturday but went out Sunday morning and discovered my Tritronics G2 500 EXP transmitter was gone. Spent two hours tearing apart the truck and the house before concluding it must have fallen out of the truck while I was at the trial. Called Tritronics this morning to see if anyone might have called it in. No one had and I ordered a replacement ($$$). Received a call this afternoon from a woman who found it on the ground at Rebel Ridge Farm. She called Tritronics, got my contact information and is shipping it to me. I was able to cancel the order with Tritronics which already had the new transmitter in the mail room waiting to be picked up. I still lose a few days, but you have to love the wonderful people in our sport.

Default Use your dog

Miriam,

I've had my tritronic pro-control transmitter fall out of my pocket numerous times until I put a clip lanyard on it. Here's one thing for you to try....go out where you set up and walk with your dog and say fetch it up. If the transmitter is in the field between where you were setting up your line and where you had set the wingers, walk that route with your dog and say fetch it up and let him hunt the grass. If it's there, you may get a big surprise from your pup. Good luck.

Ron
    Don't take training sessions too lightly. And don't forget, after all, that they are training sessions for the handler as well as the dog.
    -Charles Morgan On Retrievers

M,
    Tie a long piece of surveyors tape to the base of the antenna. Much easier to spot in the tall grass. No need to ask how I know this!
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by lablover
    M,
    ... No need to ask how I know this!
    I have that orange tape on my Keys, remote and collar transmitters, FRS radios, Knife jacket, even my Whistle strap!

I now need to tie it onto each individual key!- No need to ask how I know that either!

Default Re: Use your dog

It's worth a try M
    I lost my TT transmitter once. At the time I was useing the TT sport model collar. The transmitters were exactly the same size and shape. I tossed the collar transmitter for Pete a couple times Then went to the area where I thought I had lost the winger transmitter and told him to hunt it up. Sure enough in about 5 minutes he came up with it. When he did he set off the winger and after delivery of the transmitter made a nice retrieve on the mark also. Saved me about 120 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Schuna
    Miriam,

I've had my tritronic pro-control transmitter fall out of my pocket numerous times until I put a clip lanyard on it. Here's one thing for you to try....go out where you set up and walk with your dog and say fetch it up. If the transmitter is in the field between where you were setting up your line and where you had set the wingers, walk that route with your dog and say fetch it up and let him hunt the grass. If it's there, you may get a big surprise from your pup. Good luck.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver
    When he did he set off the winger and after delivery of the transmitter made a nice retrieve on the mark also.

Good chance the pup will find it if you don't wait too long. I saved my cell phone that way.

BTW, doesn't your Dogtra receiver have a "quacker" on it????

JS

edit: never mind. I see it's the xmitter you lost.
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Heck, Miriam, two years ago I had 3 Tritronic remotes, a transmitter, and six walky talkies stolen out of my truck at Conchas Reservoir. I always thought dog people were honest, but apparently not all are.

On a positive note, Pepper found Sonya's transmitter out in a field when we were in Texas last spring. Put Finn to work!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Schuna
    Miriam,

Ron
    My dogs have helped me out so many times with that. I usually lose my rope, a bumper, heeling stic, in winter - a glove, about every training session. One case, I even lost my choker chain in med. cover . So, I just let one of my dogs out and tell him/her to find it. Although they may not pick it up, if you watch dog closely you can tell when he has noticed something on the ground. Really cool to watch and has saved me a lot of "Uh, dad?"s

Abby
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com