The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the most you have paid for an Entry Fee?

kljohnston

Default What is the most you have paid for an Entry Fee?

It seems large entries are partly due to clubs needing the revenue to cover the cost of putting on the trials, maintaining grounds, etc...
    The clubs are hesitant to having Specials or Restricteds as it would obviously reduce the number of entries and income.
    Another concern is of course whether or not the club persons actually putting on the trial would have dogs that could run with the necessary qualifications for a Special or Restricted.
    One way to help make that decison to go to a Restricted would be to raise the entry fees to cover this loss in revenue.
    How much would you pay to run a Restricted ?

In the total cost of field trialing, entry fees seem to be a very small expenditure.

Default Re: What is the most you have paid for an Entry Fee?

Quote Originally Posted by suprdogs
    It seems large entries are partly due to clubs needing the revenue to cover the cost of putting on the trials, maintaining grounds, etc.
    I thought it was because of hoards of pro trainer dragging anywhere between 15-20 per truck to the local AMETUER sponsored Field Trials week in and week out. Correct me if I am wrong but restricted and specials just tend to screw the local club members out of running their own trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Johndrow
    Quote Originally Posted by suprdogs
    It seems large entries are partly due to clubs needing the revenue to cover the cost of putting on the trials, maintaining grounds, etc.
    I thought it was because of hoards of pro trainer dragging anywhere between 15-20 per truck to the local AMATEUR sponsored Field Trials week in and week out. Correct me if I am wrong but restricted and specials just tend to screw the local club members out of running their own trials.
    Po-TAY-toe, Po-TAH-toe.........If the local club members have competitive ALL AGE dogs, then the chances are EXTREMELY good that their dogs are qualified to run a Special, and a BETTER THAN AVERAGE chance that they can run a Restricted. At the end of the day the OPEN is for all dogs over 6 months old.....how capable they are of being COMPETITIVE is the true issue when numbers become the tipping point, whether their owners want to admit it or not.

Clubs with Open numbers issues should also hold an Owner-Handler Amateur and an Owner-Hanlder Qualifying....that'll do more to level the playing field for the LOCAL CLUB MEMBER than anything else. It'll probably help keep some of those carpetbagging pros off the grounds as well.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

The only thing cool about a large trial is the chance to say " I won a 106 dog open" last weekend. Other than that it pretty much sucks for the person that went out in the first series going all the way down the line to the the kid chucking the birds for 12 hours.

While the percentage of actually finishing a AA stake and placing are very small the chance of a "competitive" dog not be qualified to run a trial is pretty easy.

Could entry fees based on the Am/Pro status of the handler ? Say 50.00 for the AM and 100.00 for the pro

BTW the OH Am & Q are the only way to go as well.
    "Communism only works in Heaven, where they don't need it, and in Hell, where they already have it" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by K G

Clubs with Open numbers issues should also hold an Owner-Handler Amateur and an Owner-Hanlder Qualifying....that'll do more to level the playing field for the LOCAL CLUB MEMBER than anything else. It'll probably help keep some of those carpetbagging pros off the grounds as well.

kg
    If people really wanted to cut down entries in this manner, they should push for an Owner/Handler Derby stake.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

$250 - didn't get a bird, and it might have been televised! Entry fees are small potatoes. I would rather pay a bit more and go to a well staffed well run trial. Clubs aren't getting rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih
    Quote Originally Posted by K G

kg
    If people really wanted to cut down entries in this manner, they should push for an Owner/Handler Derby stake.
    I'm surprised you didn't suggest an Owner/Handler Open!

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Most I've ever paid for an entry? $83. for each AA stake for Lone Star's Fall trial. I understand that the Am judges are pretty heavy partiers and the club needs the extra dough to cover the wine coolers. One of the Open judges from Florida ain't no choir boy either!

What would I pay for a Restricted Stakes. In the whole scheme of things retriever related, it doesn't matter. Today we have higher entry fees, higher gas, motel rates, birds cost more ect.
    “The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.” –Thomas Jefferson

The Open is the Open and should remain so.

But, I see little difference in the rationale behind having an O/H Qual and an O/H Derby.

And so there is no confusion, the club to which I belong has no desire to run either.

I do not advocate it, but simply wonder why someone has not pushed for it.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com