The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Your Professional Opinion...or not so

Default Your Professional Opinion...or not so

I have done two seesions of forcing to the pile on swim-by training. The first session I forced three times with two freebies inbetween each force...all on land. The next session on the very first send I could tell he was really digging harder than the day before. I forced him three times..two on land and one in the water. After the second forced send he was a little anxious about taking off for the pile. He would try to creep forward and would lunge a little when I would place my hand in front of his head. SO, I would wait a little longer to send him so he would settle down. I know this is a reaction to the force.

My question is would you force one more day or move on? I have no problems with bugging or anything.

Kristie Wilder

Default Re: Your Professional Opinion...or not so

Quote Originally Posted by DownEast
    I have done two seesions of forcing to the pile on swim-by training. The first session I forced three times with two freebies inbetween each force...all on land. The next session on the very first send I could tell he was really digging harder than the day before. I forced him three times..two on land and one in the water. After the second forced send he was a little anxious about taking off for the pile. He would try to creep forward and would lunge a little when I would place my hand in front of his head. SO, I would wait a little longer to send him so he would settle down. I know this is a reaction to the force.

My question is would you force one more day or move on? I have no problems with bugging or anything.
    Once they're forced, they're forced... You don't have to force for no reason... Now that it appears he understands force in this setting, you have it in your pocket IF HE NEEDS IT for the remainder of swimby.

-K