The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Direction of RTF....Thanks!

Default The Direction of RTF....Thanks!

I've written it before not long ago, and I'm going to write it again. Thank you to all of you for making RTF what it is.

Over the last nine years, the "place" in cyberspace that we have come to know as RTF has evolved a whole lot. We have had clubs and organizations formed through this thing. We have had businesses formed through this resource. We have had countless friendships established, and may have even played a role in the flooded market of well-bred labrador puppies for HT/FT's! Well, maybe not that far, but we sure have helped a lot of good puppies find good homes! I'm pretty sure we've even had RTF in the middle of some folks falling in love and creating new life partners!

There have been debates - heck, debate is a big part of what the board is here for - to respectfully debate the subject matter (NOT to degrade and gramatically abuse the person or opponent). There have been blow-outs that have resulted in some pretty darn good friendships once both sides have cleared the air.

We've had times where folks think that RTF should be just about training and the GDG and tailgate talk should be elsewhere. We have had the complete opposite expressed - where RTF should be a tailgate atmosphere and we have fun and talk a little training, but don't get too bogged down.

The fact is, the RTF culture is not my project. It is not any one person's ego-trip. RTF is here for all of you to use. It continually evolves, and reaches its own balance. RTF has repeatedly, perenially, shown a self-moderating, self-healing character that speaks highly of its users.

The moderators and administrators are merely firefighters. Occasionally a spark hits the ground. If left unattended it can run off out of control, gaining steam and creating some un-necessary damage. Occasionally, VERY occasionally we snuff out a spark - hopefully before much fire damage results.

RTF continues to evolve as it always will. Nearly every week, I see great examples of why RTF has been a great part of my life and my family. I regularly see reasons why I'm proud to be associated with 99.9% of all of RTF's use. Just today we showed amazing support of Tom as he heads off to deal with tough challenges - and he chooses to share his decision with us. We've supported Becky on her step-dawg's tangle with a rattler, reminding the yankee RTF'ers of how much they fear gators 'n snakes!

Among the biggest and most touching to me personally, was when brother Shayne organized a drive to help offset some pretty big vet bills that I incurred when my old Luke dog had a few surgeries after a duckboat accident. I was blown away by the support you guys showed, and the efforts that Shayne put into the project. I still have Buck Mann's prize-winning DJ Calls custom engraved box set sitting on my bookshelf among my modest decoy collection.

I want to thank you all. I want to thank you all for the nice comments you sent to Greg Olson at Rehydrate too. He told me today that the responses for a free Rehydrate trial were loaded with appreciative comments from you RTF'ers, thanking him for the support of the board.

RTF is about to take on a facelift, as you have heard for a while. After CreativeAnswer finalizes a big project for a major outdoors company, RTF will get the VBulletin conversion. I am sure a bug or two will result. I'm sure that just like when you get in the rental car and can't find the lever to open the gas lid, there will be some temporarily frustrating nuances to figure out.

I'm confident that in short time, RTF will be even better.

Thanks again to you all. RTF is more than just a website to me. RTF is a whole lot of friends, and is a true community. Heck, RTF really is a family.

Sincerely,

Chris Atkinson (aka the Janitor)

Happy to have been a very small cog in this growing machine. I've learned tons and made some friends here too.

Keep up the good work Chris. The world needs more folkls like yourself.

As a latecomer to the game, RTF has helped me in finding resources and information to train my dogs, helped me both sell and buy pups, helped me connect with training partners, given me a place to post the photos of dogs at work that I love to take, and comforted me with the death of one of my pups. I look forward to the changes but hope it will be possible to avoid losing the archives of posts that have built up over time (and managed to survive the great purge ). I find myself looking back at old posts regularly to rediscover the nuggets that live there.

Thanks Chris,

I look forward to the new format.

Will the archives be preserved? Will the posts that were not restored after the last update be resurrected?

They are an important part of what makes RTF so good IMO.

Jeff
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

Chris, you've provided us with a long term retriever resource. I've learned a heck of a lot here, made some friends and bought some of those puppies you mentioned.

Thanks!!
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Chris,
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, you and RTF have truly been a bright spot in my life. The decorating tips from Bubba have been worth the price of admission.
    THANKS A TON!!!
    Take Care,
    Becky
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Chris,

Thanks again for providing this awesome resource. But you're right, it's so much more than that. I do consider RTF a family, that I'm glad to belong to. I haven't met 99.9% of those who post here but yet you have all stood beside me through losses and finally gains.

Thanks.
    Kourtney
    Kiela
    Tigress Midnight Wind Stalker (pending)

Remington's Black Powder Jasper - Jasper
    February 25, 2004 - March 24, 2006

Boscoe
    March 15, 2006 - April 19, 2007
    http://boscoegrowsup.blogspot.com

Thanks Chris
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Chris,

It was 3 years ago when I retired and stumbled onto these crazy dog games. I've learned so much from the "RTF" family my pea brain hurts sometimes!! Look forward to the new format and please make it easy for us "old technology challenged folks"

Thanks A Million,

Russ & "Iceman"
    Waterdogs Wingman JH QAA

Credo!
    Anything worth doin's, worth overdoin!!
    If your always over the top, there is no bottom!!

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Your welcome Chris. Because you got this thing started I have had so much help, not just with the dogs. I have made so many freinds, I have hunted places I would not have otherwise had access too. I have invites to hunt all over the country. So it I/(we RTF'ers) that have to thank you.

Dale