The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Do you 100% own/train/run your own dogs?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you use a pro and only run amats. and/or few opens?

4 12.90%
  • Do you run your own dogs but use a pro for training?

13 41.94%
  • No longer run dogs & just tired of working at trials?

5 16.13%
  • I have a better chance to win/place/finish with fewer dogs

9 29.03%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you want a cap on entries

Senior Member Vicki Worthington's Avatar

Default Why do you want a cap on entries

I am curious about the motivation behind those wishing to cap entries at a trial? I hope people will be brutally honest about their motivation(s).
    Do Something! Lead, Follow, or Get Out of The Way

Yes, I own/train/handle 100% and a capped(smaller) entry improves every dog's chance at a ribbon of some color no matter who trains or handles it.

The topic of capped entries goes beyond ribbons. It goes to the survival of the sport. As the size of entries and the caliber of dogs increase our resources(especially grounds) decrease. Where and for how many days will the trials of the future be held? In the last ten years it has become expected that the Open will take 3 days. At the present we are seeing a growing # of clubs running the Amat. Friday- Sunday. Do many clubs have 3-4 pieces of quality water available for Sunday even now? If not which stakes get eliminated and/or who stays until Monday?
    Clubs need the opportunity to hold a trial based on their resources. Look at HTs, based on insufficient grounds to split a 60+ dog entry some clubs have been forced to add a day to avoid the split. Is your club ready for a 4 day trial?

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

3 day event are bad enough, but we are used to them.
    A 4 day event would eliminate lots of potential entries. And a lot of help!
    It's the help that you need to run events.

Around here there are several clubs. It is not uncommon to see members of all clubs helping other clubs, because they know the sponsoring club is short of help. But that gets very old and tiresome after working 2, 3 or even 4 events in the spring and or fall, times 2 to 3 days each.

The folks that know how to do everything are getting "burned out". Many new members don't even come out, or just to watch, or work an "easy" job for 1/2 to 1 day only. That leaves some slack to be picked up by someone else... probably one of the "burned out" members, if in fact they showed up.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Default Re: Why do you want a cap on entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki Worthington
    I am curious about the motivation behind those wishing to cap entries at a trial? I hope people will be brutally honest about their motivation(s).
    I'm confused by the poll question vs. cap on entries question.........

Been a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG week regards,

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

For me and the other members of the Rocky Mountain Retriever Club, 100 dog Opens and 80 dog Amateurs were no fun.

We would get out of the field at 8 pm on Friday and Saturday and would be announcing placements for the Am at 6-7 pm on Sunday, which meant we would not be heading home until 8-9 pm.

With a 60 dog Open and a 50 dog Am, we are out of the field by 6 pm on Friday and Saturday, and headed home by 5 pm.

Did we make more money with a 220 dog trial than a 140 dog trial? Yes. But, none of us got into the sport or the club to make money.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Decide what's the magic number your club can/wishes to handle.

Let all who wish to run a dog in the trial, run one dog before anyone gets to run a second dog.

Repeat the procedure for the second dog and so forth.

Change the rule regards
    john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Gee John

That's original - NOT

Ed and I have been trying to get our proposal - which does that - up for discussion for three years now

Ted

Home of:

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih
    Gee John

That's original - NOT

Ed and I have been trying to get our proposal - which does that - up for discussion for three years now

Ted
    You told me that before— after I posted the(my) idea a while back.

Post yours in it's entirety again I am sure that it was a little too convoluted for it to be a clone of what I just said.

Otherwise I am all for it.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Small trials good, large trials bad. So simple a caveman could figure it out.

Details never were your strong point, John

Designated Handler/Limited Entry Open

In the Designated Handler/Limited Entry Open (the “Stake”), entries shall be limited to 65 dogs - or a slightly higher number, if necessary, as described below.

In the Stake, each handler shall designate in numerical order those dogs which the handler wishes to enter in the Stake. Entries 1-5 shall be guaranteed admission into the Stake - whether or not total entries equal or exceed 65 dogs.

If, upon the close of entries, the Field Trial Secretary determines that less than 65 dogs are admitted in the Stake, those handlers who have designated more than 5 dogs for admission in the Stake shall be permitted to enter the dog the handler has previously designated as dog no. 6 into the Stake. If after all such dogs have be admitted into the Stake, the Field Trial Secretary determines that less than 65 dogs are still admitted in the Stake, those handlers who have designated more than 6 dogs for admission in the Stake shall be permitted to enter the dog the handler has previously designated as dog no. 7 into the Stake. This process shall continue until the Field Trial Secretary first determines that entries in the Stake are 65 dogs or more.

Consider the following examples

A. The Field Trial Secretary determines upon the close of entries, that if all handlers are permitted to run the dogs that they have designated, including 5 dogs per handler for those handlers who have designated five or more dogs, that 75 dogs would be admitted in the Stake - then the Stake would proceed with 75 dogs, and handlers with more than 5 dogs designated would not be permitted to enter any further dogs in the Stake.

B. The same situation, only the FTS determines that total entries, when handlers are permitted to enter 5 dogs into the Stake, are 64. Because total entries are less than 65, each handler who has previously designated a sixth dog for potential admission into the stake shall be permitted to enter that sixth dog in the stake. This is true even if the admission of each sixth dog designated by handlers with more than five dogs would result in the Stake having 80 dogs entered. All handlers who had six dogs designated for entry in the Stake would be permitted to enter the dogs that the handlers had previously designated as 1-6 in the stake.

In the event that a dog is scratched for veterinary reasons, if applicable, the handler with multiple dogs may then substitute the next designated dog for inclusion in the Stake. For example, the FTS determines that all handlers with more than 5 dogs may enter up to 7 dogs. Handler X has designated 18 for potential inclusion in the Stake. Handler X’s entry number 6 has come in season. Handler X will be permitted to enter his previously identified dog no. 8 in the trial. However, he will not be permitted to enter dog no. 9 in place of the scratched dog.

In the event that a handler must scratch from a trial, the dogs designated by the scratched handler may be transferred to a substitute handler, provided that: (a) the substitute handler has not previously entered dogs in the Stake; or (b) with the transfer of the scratched dogs, the substitute handler does not have more than the maximum number of dogs permitted per handler. For example, the FTS determines that all handlers with more than 5 dogs may enter up to 8 dogs in the Stake. Handler S has 5 dogs entered in the Stake. Handler T has 2 dogs entered in the Stake. Handler U has 6 dogs entered in the Stake. Handler U scratches from the trial for a family emergency. Handler U may not transfer his 6 dogs to Handler S. However, Handler U may transfer his 6 dogs to Handler T. Alternatively, Handler U may transfer 3 dogs to Handler S and transfer the remaining 3 dogs to Handler T.

Home of: