The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate bees!

Default I hate bees!

Ugh, so Kiela got stung somehow today. I think she may have tried to eat one and got stung in the mouth. She whined at me to go outside and I let her out for a minute and she went and then just laid down. I went out and she wouldn't perk up when I was talking to her but she wasn't sleeping. I took her inside and she laid down again. I looked at her gums and they were white, which obviously worried me. But then she perked up and was walking around. Then she came in the room and started itching her face a lot. I got ahold of her and her face looked all wrinkly it was swollen and her lips were swollen really bad, eyes watering and half closed. She went and laid in the bathroom on the cool floor and was whining while I tore the house apart looking for benadryl, of course we didn't have any. I looked at her again and her belly was all red and bumpy rashy. Ended up at the vets and by the time we got there her belly was a little red but not bumpy anymore and her face swelling was down a lot, but still swollen. She got a shot of dexa-something and pred and oral pred to take for a few days. The vet said this was the third bee sting they'd had this morning. She also said that it was possibly anaphylactic...it was definitely a reaction.

Sigh, at least she came out of it with no permanent damage. She's a little more sleepy than usual but otherwise fine and acting like herself. Her ears are the only thing really left that's swollen.

Did I mention I hate bees?
    Kiela
    Tigress Midnight Wind Stalker (pending)

Remington's Black Powder Jasper - Jasper
    February 25, 2004 - March 24, 2006

Boscoe
    March 15, 2006 - April 19, 2007
    http://boscoegrowsup.blogspot.com

One of my old malamutes was stung when she was young.It pissed her off and she spent a good deal of time killing them after that.She would snap at them and spit them out real quick.She got pretty good at it.Maybe Kiela will get it down too an art too.

Oh Kourtney, ya gotta be careful with this. I come from a family of 4 girls, and all of us are allergic to bee stings, me the least. But my understanding is that once you have had a bad reaction, the next one can be fatal. In other words, you get MORE sensitive if you react strongly the first time. So all three of my sisters carry those epi pins. I do not know if they make something like that for dogs, but I'd sure look into it.

Now if we can just figure out to do about these darn eastern diamondbacks! It seems that the vacines work pretty well on the western species, but are largely ineffective against the ED.

Don't blame you for hating bees. Poor Keila and poor you! But glad she's okay.
    I hate snakes. There is one serpent out there I'd like to smite right on the @#$. Did I mention I hate snakes???
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

I made the big mistake this afternoon of parking the truck right next to a huge yellowjacket hive. I had a golden out to start doing some drills and got stung on the leg and the golden's owner got stung on the ear. Stinkin things....fortunately none of the dogs get hit...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Oh Kourtney, ya gotta be careful with this. I come from a family of 4 girls, and all of us are allergic to bee stings, me the least. But my understanding is that once you have had a bad reaction, the next one can be fatal. In other words, you get MORE sensitive if you react strongly the first time.
    Kourtney - This is very true and called an anamnestic response. Immune systems have memory. The second time a reactive immune system sees an antigenic stimulus, it is then "ready" for it and will respond much more quickly and sometimes explosively.

Immunology. a prompt immune response to a previously encountered antigen, characterized by more rapid onset and greater effectiveness of antibody and T cell reaction than during the first encounter, as after a booster shot in a previously immunized person.
    Take this from someone who has been in anaphylactic shock (not fun at all but fortunately I was hospitalized at the time it happened). One minute you are fine and in a heartbeat you can't breathe. Keep Benadryl at home at all times...

On a more personal note, after your trials with Jasper and Boscoe, it is so nice to hear of your new pup. Keep those pictures coming. She is a cutie.
    ~Moira Sheehan
    Third Creeks Twisted Sister***
    Hallelujah Toulouse's Jean (House Guardian Pyr)
    RIP - Moriah's Rumor's Oopsy-Do (Mini Dachshund)

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo
    . Keep Benadryl at home at all times...
    I keep both benadryl pills and liquid in my first aid kit. If they are alert enough to swallow, the liquid will get into their system faster than a pill.

Another "stingy bug" hater regards,

Andy
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

Andy,
    I'm like you, Dave and I have both liquid and pill form of Benedryl with us at all times. Ria got stung about 6 weeks ago. Her faced swelled soooo bad. We were scared. It took almost 2 days for the sweeling to subside.
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH UR01 Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC RN- Emma (465 points and counting)
    HR GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (55 points - just getting started)

Me too.
    Once while training I didn't know I was standing on top of a Bumble bee nest. When I blew my megawhistle one got up in my face and the contest got started.
    I swated him to the ground then turned & ran. I saw him get up & come right at me. I nailed him with my hat and continued my escape.
    He got up again & was faster than me.
    This time I tripped and went face first in the grass.
    He nailed me in the shoulder with his ass harpoon.
    The next day I had to go back to find my serengetti's.
    Sure enough he found me again, but this time I was ready. I brought a badminton racket, and got my revenge.
    And I found my glasses.
    I hate bees.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo
    Oh Kourtney, ya gotta be careful with this. I come from a family of 4 girls, and all of us are allergic to bee stings, me the least. But my understanding is that once you have had a bad reaction, the next one can be fatal. In other words, you get MORE sensitive if you react strongly the first time.
    Kourtney - This is very true and called an anamnestic response. Immune systems have memory. The second time a reactive immune system sees an antigenic stimulus, it is then "ready" for it and will respond much more quickly and sometimes explosively.

Immunology. a prompt immune response to a previously encountered antigen, characterized by more rapid onset and greater effectiveness of antibody and T cell reaction than during the first encounter, as after a booster shot in a previously immunized person.
    Take this from someone who has been in anaphylactic shock (not fun at all but fortunately I was hospitalized at the time it happened). One minute you are fine and in a heartbeat you can't breathe. Keep Benadryl at home at all times...

On a more personal note, after your trials with Jasper and Boscoe, it is so nice to hear of your new pup. Keep those pictures coming. She is a cutie.
    For those of you with severe allergies, shouldn't you get an Epi pen? I would think benedryl would take longer to work, even in liquid form?