The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facts and time proven history

Default Facts and time proven history

The elimination test thread is turning into a mud fight. Speaking of mud I am one of the people in the Field Trial not Hunt Test group who after 44 years of working, studying, training dogs and working field trials and judging sanction, liscensed and National field trials am "older than dirt". Guy Burnett once told me"if you go to Alaska you look for the trapper who has the most pelts on his cabin".The current best amateurs that train their own dogs include Gary/Mary Ahlgren, Bob Willow, Jack Volstad, Arnie and Linda Erwin, Jimmy and Debbie Darnell, Dick Dalassee, Roy McFall, Mel Milton,-these Amateurs there are others but being as old as dirt I fail to recall all of them. There is no question that Mike Lardy and Danny Farmer lead all pros .These Amateurs and these two pros lead the pack-they have the most pelts over the years. Secondly the word "GREAT" is a misnomer that is too freely attached to a very nice dog. The mark of a GREAT dog is one that qualifys for a National every year-especially if it is owned and RUN and TRAINED by an Amateur. Likewise the mark of a great pro is one who qualifies and runs dogs every year in the NRCCS. Thirdly the classification Professional and Amateur has undergone sometimes a modification-Professional Amateur is said to be a person who despite the fact that they have a great deal of time(they either are retired with limited funds or are retired with funds) these people who choose to train their own dogs are referred to as Professional Amateurs. This classification does not include the Amateur who sends his dog and approximately $1000 a month to a pro to be trained and arrives in a dog truck with 8 holes--some of which have picnic supplies in them.These people with the right dog can and have won the NARCCS-look at the record. The fourth category is the Amateur -Professional. This is the individual who has never made a dog an FC, never been to a National Championship with a dog and hates the Owner-Handler Qualifying since they cannot milk a weekend handling fee. These guys eventually due to their arrogance, lack of understanding of animal behavior and eventual lack of clients will leave with your money, your heart and you will have a chopped up dog. These people usually show up at the field trial with numerous stickers, decals ,jackets and hats that tell people that they are"endorsed" associated with a "winner"--dog food, collars, bumpers etc. Personally I have proven to myself that I cannot train a puppy in basics so I use Jim Van Engen-he has the most pelts and I want to be associated with a proven winner-so far it has worked- My ex wife and I learned from Rex Carr-22 years-Rex taught his clients to train their own dogs-he never ran a dog in a field trial. Todays pros in general always run the clients dogs in field trials and almost never teach their clients how to train their own dogs. Yes I am old as dirt. At present I am selling all my Retriever books etc-anticipatory of eventual death? yes. At present I am in fairly good health but like a good dog 1 acl and ? I would like this forum to compile a list of the BEST new AMATEURS that are dedicated passionate honest dog trainers today. I will start with Jimmy Darnell, Mike Judas,Doug Main, Robbie Bickley. The reason I need this list is that some of us who are older than dirt are no longer going to judge 100 dog Opens with 89 Professional dogs. I will continue to accept an assignment for both Owner Handler Qualifyings and a Derby in the same weekend. Lastly if anyone knows when I am going to get my Buster Brown inheritance would they please let me know. Since Buster Brown was first shown at the 1905 World's Fair in St. LouisI guess I must be older than dirt. There is no truth to what your knowledgable friend assured you was true-I am not related to the Brown Shoe Company or Buster Brown-never have been. However pull up Brown Shoe and the entire story is there-one hell of a marketing ploy. Any comments regarding the foregoing should be addressed to The New York Museum of Natural History-Paleontology Wing

Banned

KIPandRobbie Bickley, The Russels

I did mention Robbie, John and Maatha(Bostonian for Martha) are as old as me Martha and I were at Rex's when she was Mrs. Curtis Laughlin-I need YOUNG(under 45) also my comments are only about field trials I know NOTHING re hunt tests or heart surgery so please if you are hunt test orinted ignore me.

Lanse-

Hope you are having a nice summer. The Summer Alabama heat has been awful.

See you in the fall.

Chad Wilson

LOL, I talk bad about you Lanse, but I love you!!!

Jerry
    "Where The Hell Is Bedias, TX?"

Banned

What about Guthrie or Doug Grimes?The whole Valley View Crew seems to be very good Ams.

Banned

Pete Marcellus, Scott and Alice Carruth.

Lanse are you sure,,,,, your not tied to the Buster Brown fortune???? :P I'm crushed!!! One evening over a very nice bottle of scotch you were discussed at length when I lived back east. The stories were sooo good they had to be true. No one could make that stuff up. But now I'm not so sure.... Boy I hope your not just a regular, boring old guy. I like the "Wild Life and Times of Lanse Brown" better....

Angie

Banned

Oh yeah I forgot Scott is now an Am and yes Pete would be a good choice.

Since you asked about Amateurs under 45 who train their own dogs-I'd keep an eye on Jeff Edwards & Tucquan Tillman the Tank. I'm new to this, but I'll put my money on Jeff taking Tillman far beyond what is already an impressive run at Derbies.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

RE: Trophies, etc.

I want to once again BEG those of you "old as dirt" to donate your retriever trophies, photographs, mementos, and even personal papers, in particular those associated with great dogs and great people, to the Retriever Hall of Fame.

It has also been rumored that the AKC itself is now archiving. But given their interest is so broad, for the time being the Retriever HoF seems the better choice.

The point is don't let these fall into the hands of disinterested parties! In particular your heirs who might possibly not share your value for these items. Or our appreciation for them.

RE: Magazines and Books

I want to once again BEG those of you "old as dirt" to pass on your magazines and books to fans and students of the history of the game. Don't just look for serious dog people or competitors, many of them have no interest in such ephemera. Look for people with a passion for the game, those who devote themselves to its success -- past, present and future. Devotion to the game itself, and not themselves is the key.

RE: Accomplished "old as dirt" Amateurs

I don't know a whole lot of people. But it seems to me Mitch Patterson qualifies as one.

RE: Accomplished young Amateurs who train their own dogs

It is easier to name young pros.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!