The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Spyware Help

Default Spyware Help

I need some help with my computer, seems yesterday morning I downloaded a Trojan Horse in to my laptop. Now about every 5 minutes I get apopup box coming up warning me of Potential Spyware Operations and I need to download spyware remover. While this is annoying it is not the worst of it.
    On the Start menu I have lost the control panel key and I cannot find it any place. I have run my AVG software and it found the Trojan Horse and also Webroot Spy sweeper which also found the Trojan Horse.

Any suggestions on how to correct this would be appreciated.

Default Spyware

Some of these can be tough to klll. But don't get frustrated. Because they can be removed, but it will probably take several steps and several days. There is really only one surefire way to do this. Go to this site http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa...-Here-f37.html
    Download Hijackthis. Run the software save the log. then post the log after registering on geeks to go site. someone will help you within hours. don't buy any more commercial software it is not necessary!

Kyle

I had one on my computer a long time ago that the spyware programs could not remove. I put the name of the trojan horse that the spyware said was on my computer into a search engine, and it told me how to remove it. I had to do something like go into the config.sis file or something and remove it. It was not for the faint of heart because I was dealing with the files of the computer that aren't to be dealt with if someone doesn't know what they are doing.

Don't do any deleting or removal of any system files. Unless you are directed by someone who really knows what they are doing. You will screw up the OS and will never get it fixed without reinstalling windows. I forgot to ask which OS are you using XP?

Kyle

Default Re: Spyware

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Bertram
    Some of these can be tough to klll. But don't get frustrated. Because they can be removed, but it will probably take several steps and several days. There is really only one surefire way to do this. Go to this site http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa...-Here-f37.html
    Download Hijackthis. Run the software save the log. then post the log after registering on geeks to go site. someone will help you within hours. don't buy any more commercial software it is not necessary!

Kyle
    Thats great advice. You forgot the first step of filling the bathtub with warm water and soaking the computer overnight to wash it out.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Default Re: Spyware Help

Quote Originally Posted by DKR
    I need some help with my computer, seems yesterday morning I downloaded a Trojan Horse in to my laptop. Now about every 5 minutes I get a popup box coming up warning me of Potential Spyware Operations and I need to download spyware remover. While this is annoying it is not the worst of it.
    On the Start menu I have lost the control panel key and I cannot find it any place. I have run my AVG software and it found the Trojan Horse and also Webroot Spy sweeper which also found the Trojan Horse.

Any suggestions on how to correct this would be appreciated.
    I'll send you a PM.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

The Control Panel is actually a program called control.exe that is located in the c:\windows\system32 directory. You can open the controlpanel by simply running this program either by locating it in the directory listing or by clicking on the Start button and selecting the Run option. Type in the name control.exe and hit Enter.

With respect to removing the Trojan, things can be tricky. Using the name of the Trojan as identified by your antivirus software, you can check for removal instructions on the Symantec, McAfee and Microsoft websites. A lot of Trojans actually install multiple programs on your PC which will reinstall the Trojan if you delete it and which can even do things that disable your antivirus software. Once I even had a trojan that redefined how Windows executed programs so that everything was actually executed by the Trojan. It would intercept any calls to antivirus programs and email all information about programs run on the computer to an outside server. If you cannot remove the Trojan using commercial packages, you may need to pay someone who knows how to track down and remove the problem. Sometimes this is easy; sometimes it can take many hours.

Default Re: Spyware Help

Quote Originally Posted by DKR
    I need some help with my computer, seems yesterday morning I downloaded a Trojan Horse in to my laptop.
    Don, Don, Don...what I want to know is: what were you downloading??

Congrats on the election by the way!

AVG is very good.

So is Spybot-Search & Destroy (only get it from safer-networking.com).

BUT - and this is CRITICALLY important - once you are infected by a virus or spyware, running the AV or AS program in normal mode does virtually no good whatsoever.

You HAVE to run the Antivirus/Antispyware programs in SAFE MODE

And it's usually a good idea to do it at least 2 times in a row.
    --
    Chris Barnes