The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Heat stroke claims another

Default Heat stroke claims another

I was informed late last night that heat stroke has claimed another of our beloved retrievers.

The dog, a fox red male, about 2.5 to 3 y/o and in shape, had been trained all summer and was somewhat acclimated to the heat.
    The dog was dove hunting and had made 4 retrieves, and went down about 3-3:30. Dog was taken to a pond for cooling and failed to respond. Temps were in mid to high 80's.

Please keep this owner in your prayers today. Watch your own dogs very carefully.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Banned

Make that 2. I was on a public field sat. when a fella sent his dog for a bird, about TEN MINUTES LATER he started looking for his dog that hadn't come back yet. He was piled up out in the uncut section of corn. It bothered me that he was too busy talking to notice his dog didn't come back, but when he picked him up, through him in the back of his truck and went back hunting,
    Luckily the game warden saw it and had a few choice words of "communication" for him.

Why would someone risk their dogs life for a few dove? MIne stayed home its just to hot and humid to take that chance
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Mine is staying home without a doubt this Saturday. There will be plenty more chances later when its cool, for now husband can go pick up his own birds BTW, he is ok with that, he also would not risk our pup for his game.

This has been a horrid, horrid weekend for RTF'ers. I think all of us need to go home and hug our dogs and appreciate every moment they have shared with us.

I can not believe the story from Smelllikeadog about the dog dissappearing for 10 minutes. What were the other "hunters" doing? Standing around with their thumbs "hidden"??????

Carol

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by smelllikeadog@stinky.com
    Make that 2. I was on a public field sat. when a fella sent his dog for a bird, about TEN MINUTES LATER he started looking for his dog that hadn't come back yet. He was piled up out in the uncut section of corn. It bothered me that he was too busy talking to notice his dog didn't come back, but when he picked him up, through him in the back of his truck and went back hunting,
    Luckily the game warden saw it and had a few choice words of "communication" for him.
    I would have KILLED HIM. He's very lucky I wasn't there. HOW disgusting is that?

REMEMBER THIS WHEN YOU CONSIDER SELLING SOMEONE A PUPPY!!!!!

Another reason I typically don't sell to "just" hunters... Sorry, but it's true...

-K

Senior Member Last Frontier Labs's Avatar

Some of the best homes my pups have gone to have been "just hunters".
    I would be more apt to say screen folks carefully and don't sell pups to folks who don't view their dog as a hunting partner.
    Sherri Young

"It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder
    Another reason I typically don't sell to "just" hunters... Sorry, but it's true...
    C'mon Kristie,There are some "just"hunters that care for thier dogs as good as anyone.It just sounds like this guy was a jerk.Screen for jerks,not hunters.

Kristie,
    Don't know if you've been following the Cletus saga, but Scotty is just a hunter. And Cletus is just a hunting dawg. But I'd say he's being looked after pretty good. And Scotty left Ruby Sue home this weekend for opening day of dove season cause he didn't want to take a chance on her getting overheated or getting snake bitten.
    Not picking at you but there are exceptions to every rule.
    Take Care,
    Becky
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder
    C'mon Kristie,There are some "just"hunters that care for thier dogs as good as anyone.It just sounds like this guy was a jerk.Screen for jerks,not hunters.
    Sorry, but in general, and no offense, they are not as educated regarding healthcare issues and general care, nutrition, etc. They might be the most wonderful folks in the world, but that doesn't make up for lack of knowledge and care -- and lack of trying to educate themselves to care best for their dog. It doesn't take that much work. Just look around here and read...

It's a broad brush, but I'd rather be safe than sorry IF it's someone that's not referred to me by someone I trust.

I would venture to say that 95% of people on this board understand the basic care and caution involved with owning, training and hunting a dog. I will limit my market to those folks because I care about the puppies I breed.

-K

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Mills
    Kristie,
    Don't know if you've been following the Cletus saga, but Scotty is just a hunter. And Cletus is just a hunting dawg. But I'd say he's being looked after pretty good. And Scotty left Ruby Sue home this weekend for opening day of dove season cause he didn't want to take a chance on her getting overheated or getting snake bitten.
    Not picking at you but there are exceptions to every rule.
    Take Care,
    Becky
    I agree, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take with the puppies I breed. There are also exceptions in the HT and FT world and I will avoid them like the plague regardless of the amount of money in their pocketbooks.

I have friends that are just hunters. I'm not saying they are nasty, awful people. I have clients that are just hunters, and you know what? I spend as much time as they'll let me advising them about how to care for their dogs.

There are exceptions EVERYWHERE and if it's someone I know or someone referred by someone I trust, I will make an exception. Other than that, sorry... But i don't want one of my pups to suffer the fate of the jerk that left his dog to die... And sometimes you can't tell someone is like that prior to selling them a dog...

Again, it's no offense to anyone. I just don't want someone risking a dog's life because they don't understand the physiology of a hunting dog...

NOT to detract from the folks that lost their dogs, I feel badly for them... and their dogs.

-K