The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Heat stroke claims another

Quote Originally Posted by brian breuer

If you're offended by a breeder that won't sell to a hunter without references you are just looking to be pissed off about something or you are part of the hunter population that Kristie is looking to avoid.
    Right on. I am a hunter first, and agree completely. Many (keep your shirts on, of course not all) of the "hunter only" types are morons when it comes to dog training and care. My favorite line from these guys is: "We don't do all that training, we put our dogs on birds. Lots and lots of birds." I've heard this a dozen times; three times alone at the Bass Pro Shop Expo our club had a booth at two weeks ago. Most of these guys seemed to go out of their way to share this.

While training one day a few years back I damn near got into a fistfight with a neighborhood 80-yr old over a bumper his hunting dog decided to play keep-away with while my 2-dogs waiter patiently. With a squint in his eye and his fist clinched, he got in my face and actually said: "You're probably one of them field trialers, aren't you?" (I had not yet run my one series at the time). I forced myself to walk away from the situation so's not to have to possibly recount the story of a black-eye to my Mrs.

If you're offended by a breeder that won't sell to a hunter without references you are just looking to be pissed off about something or you are part of the hunter population that Kristie is looking to avoid.

Whether or not she gleens who she sells to was not what offended people. It was the fact that "hunters" were lumped into a group of bad people.

The simple statement of "This is why I am very careful who I sell to." Would have said all that needed to be said.

If you throw out insults people will be offended and it will affect many beyond the group you targeted.

A good lesson in business here. Sometimes you do what you do but you keep your mouth shut.
    Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard for it.

"Five in the hole is better then 250 circling overhead." - Jase Robertson

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Newcomb

Whether or not she gleens who she sells to was not what offended people. It was the fact that "hunters" were lumped into a group of bad people.

The simple statement of "This is why I am very careful who I sell to." Would have said all that needed to be said.

If you throw out insults people will be offended and it will affect many beyond the group you targeted.

A good lesson in business here. Sometimes you do what you do but you keep your mouth shut.
    Depends on what type of business you're in. I want my puppy buyers to know how I select homes and I would hope that others would be as selective. It's not some big secret. Nor does it have to be. The people who WANT to buy puppies from us appreciate the effort we put into screening homes and many of our buyers have purchased from us because they know how much effort we put into every aspect of breeding and raising a litter. THAT is good business.

I've been out of school too long to know the latest business guru lingo and trends... Or models for business or whatever is state-of-the-art. But part of how I operate my business is using some of Tom Peter's ideas about selecting clients that share values and with whom you enjoy doing business. That model has worked well for me and made my business quite enjoyable.

-K

I will be the first to admit I need some help with knowing about my dogs' health. I have purchased a first aid book and a small first aid kit for field dogs. I would be very grateful if someone (possibly a vet) would post a list of first aid supplies that we should take in the field with us. I am fairly new to this dog stuff. I was planning to take my dog dove hunting next weekend, but after reading this thread, I have decided not to. It is still getting into the lower 90's here, and I think it will be best for me to leave her at home in the AC.

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    I will be the first to admit I need some help with knowing about my dogs' health. I have purchased a first aid book and a small first aid kit for field dogs. I would be very grateful if someone (possibly a vet) would post a list of first aid supplies that we should take in the field with us. I am fairly new to this dog stuff. I was planning to take my dog dove hunting next weekend, but after reading this thread, I have decided not to. It is still getting into the lower 90's here, and I think it will be best for me to leave her at home in the AC.
    Search first aid on here. There have been several threads -- one recently -- about ideal stuff for a field first aid kit.

-K

Quote Originally Posted by fred

Hooray!!! If even one person made a smart decision to err on the "safe side"
    it was worth the previous 7 pages of people not "getting" what Kristie's mo is.

Still sad someone had to lose a dog and another kill a dog to get the subject "out front".
    Carol

Those that have hi-jacked this thread for other purposes, should be ashamed of themselves.
    If you need to hi-jack a thread, start your own thread and leave the original to it's posted intent.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by lablover
    Those that have hi-jacked this thread for other purposes, should be ashamed of themselves.
    If you need to hi-jack a thread, start your own thread and leave the original to it's posted intent.
    Actually, I think it's in respect to the dead dogs that many of us have beaten the dead horse...

So quite the opposite -- hopefully those of us debating, arguing, flaming, whatever, have helped increase the awareness of the danger of heat (and other dangers to our dogs)

Just think that if a few people think twice before pushing their dogs in the heat, the argument was worth it.

Again, my condolences to the families of the lost dogs.

-K

Now that I have calmed down to reflect on the thread a little, let me tell every one why I am a little excited about this thread about uneducated hunters. There is enough hunter bashing as there is. The liberal media would love to get their hands on this thread so they could compose an article about uneducated hunters pushing their dogs to overheating and dying. Unfortunatley, there are some irresponsible hunters out there. Unfortunately, there are also some irresponsible breeders out there. These irresponsible people give us responsible ones a bad name. Kristie, I understand your business policies and understand why you feel the way you do. As a matter of fact, I respect you for it. You have some very high standards for the dog owners you sell your dogs to. That is to be commended. I have dealt with breeders who are after a quick buck. That does not seem to be the case with you. Hopefully, we can stick together as breeders and hunters so our kids can enjoy what we love to do - hunt and enjoy our dogs. I will shut up now.

Oh, by the way, your avatar shows you holding a gun, which makes you a hunter in the eyes of everyone else.