The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 118

Thread: Heat stroke claims another

  1. #11
    Senior Member subroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dover, New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Well, all I can say is if you are a hunter and you see a litter that was bred by Kristie Wilder remember that this is the lens she views you through. I am sure you can get find a fine breeding elsewhere to meet your needs.

    If you are a hunter and need your dog trained by a professional retriever trainer, I expect there are many that donít hold you and your activity in distain and link it to lower education.

    Kristie

    Over the years you have ceased to amaze me.

    Joe Miano Ė A hunter and a guy that cares about his dog.

    BTW, I wonít paint you with the broad brush as a trainer that hangs dogs in your yard or beats them for not grasping concepts out of frustration or as a breeder of running a puppy mill. After all it may or may not be true. Michael Vick was training dogs. So isnít Kristie Wilder. Broad Brush?

    BTW 2, this post has nothing to do with the above dog dying, only Kristie Wilderís response and assertion.

  2. #12
    Kristie Wilder
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subroc
    Well, all I can say is if you are a hunter and you see a litter that was bred by Kristie Wilder remember that this is the lens she views you through. I am sure you can get find a fine breeding elsewhere to meet your needs.

    If you are a hunter and need your dog trained by a professional retriever trainer, I expect there are many that donít hold you and your activity in distain and link it to lower education.

    Kristie

    Over the years you have ceased to amaze me.

    Joe Miano Ė A hunter and a guy that cares about his dog.

    BTW, I wonít paint you with the broad brush as a trainer that hangs dogs in your yard or beats them for not grasping concepts out of frustration or as a breeder of running a puppy mill. After all it may or may not be true. Michael Vick was training dogs. So isnít Kristie Wilder. Broad Brush?

    BTW 2, this post has nothing to do with the above dog dying, only Kristie Wilderís response and assertion.
    Be VERY careful here... I NEVER said hunters weren't educated. I said they are often not educated about THE CARE OF THEIR DOGS.

    Look at the news on opening day of dove season in the northern midwestern states. One year when we were in Wisconsin, TWO HUNDRED DOGS died on opening day in Minnesota.

    Many hunters are doctors, lawyers, businessmen, HIGHLY EDUCATED, WELL RESPECTED and I would respect them also. But if they aren't interested in educating themselves in the care of their dogs, and I can understand the constraints on their time, then I don't want to subject a puppy to that.

    This is my broad brush THROUGH EXPERIENCE, Joe. Through what I've seen, witnessed on my own IN THE FIELD HUNTING (and training) and through stories like the one that discussed two hundred dogs dying on opening day.

    It's my opinion. It's not meant disrespectfully. You can make of it what you wish, but do not EVER say I sad that hunters are not educated individuals, as it is often quite the contrary.

    There's a dog down the road, that we PICK UP OFF THE ROAD and TAKE TRAINING on an almost DAILY basis (OWNED by a hunter) because I refuse to see him get hit by a car.

    I guess you don't run any hunt tests or field trials, Joe??? Because my husband, my friends are hunters, too... My point is that HT and FT folks tend to take more care with their dogs and prevent avoidable injuries and illnesses.

    People who have called us on litters know where we stand. I hope I have always been respectful to everyone that has called. But we have our guidelines for puppy placement and I don't see them changing any time soon.

    And, to reiterate, I am NOT bashing the original poster. I'm bashing the 2nd story about the buy putting his dead dog in the truck and carrying on.

    -K

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    great state of Idaho
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subroc
    Well, all I can say is if you are a hunter and you see a litter that was bred by Kristie Wilder remember that this is the lens she views you through. I am sure you can get find a fine breeding elsewhere to meet your needs.

    If you are a hunter and need your dog trained by a professional retriever trainer, I expect there are many that donít hold you and your activity in distain and link it to lower education.

    Kristie

    Over the years you have ceased to amaze me.

    Joe Miano Ė A hunter and a guy that cares about his dog.

    BTW, I wonít paint you with the broad brush as a trainer that hangs dogs in your yard or beats them for not grasping concepts out of frustration or as a breeder of running a puppy mill. After all it may or may not be true. Michael Vick was training dogs. So isnít Kristie Wilder. Broad Brush?

    BTW 2, this post has nothing to do with the above dog dying, only Kristie Wilderís response and assertion.
    Well spoken subroc. Oh, and as "just a hunter" I would have killed the guy. Funny that the field trial guy I hunt with looked at me like I was a idiot when I showed up to hunt doves with a cooler full of Ice water. At least my dog doesn't spend most of the day crammed in a dog truck in his own excriment waiting for his "15 minutes"

    Regards
    Men fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away from themselves.-Author Unknown

  4. #14
    Senior Member Illinois Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder
    I will limit my market to those folks because I care about the puppies I breed.
    I can't argue with that.I just feel bad for the people who hunt and do make an effort to learn,train and care for thier dogs to be avoided as dog owners.I hunt.I have yet to disappoint a breeder yet as to how thier dogs were cared for in my home.(Unless we start talking about Hunt Test succeses ) And ,even with the best care,sometimes things still happen.I feel bad for the first owner,the one Lablover posted about.That would be such a shock.The second one sounds like he just didn't give a s**t.Keep doing what you're doing Kristie to find pups good homes.I just feel bad that I can never have one.

  5. #15
    Kristie Wilder
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristie Wilder
    I will limit my market to those folks because I care about the puppies I breed.
    I can't argue with that.I just feel bad for the people who hunt and do make an effort to learn,train and care for thier dogs to be avoided as dog owners.I hunt.I have yet to disappoint a breeder yet as to how thier dogs were cared for in my home.(Unless we start talking about Hunt Test succeses ) And ,even with the best care,sometimes things still happen.I feel bad for the first owner,the one Lablover posted about.That would be such a shock.The second one sounds like he just didn't give a s**t.Keep doing what you're doing Kristie to find pups good homes.I just feel bad that I can never have one.
    AHHHH, reread my post... I said if it was someone I know or who came referred by someone I trust there would be exceptions. I play puppy placement very conservatively. I breed almost NEVER so it's not a hard thing to do. I don't have 3-4+ litters a year, so I'm not scrambling to find buyers...

    There are plenty of great folks out there. But when you don't KNOW someone, it's not worth the risk to me. That's all...

    If anyone here wanted to buy a pup -- LOL now everyone hates me but hey -- it would take one to two phone calls to find a reference and someone that knows them. I've posted on here before looking for eferences (I keep it vague and say "if you're from the northwest, send me an email")... It doesn't take much effort to find someone that knows someone.

    and it doesn't mean I hate all "just hunters"!!! It means I just want to know that they are familiar with overheating, acl tears, hip and eye issues, etc. Enough to know to watch for things and know when something needs care...

    -K

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2tall

    I can not believe the story from Smelllikeadog about the dog dissappearing for 10 minutes. What were the other "hunters" doing? Standing around with their thumbs "hidden"??????

    Carol
    They were DRINKING. Which is mainly why the warden was so interested. It was on state property. He was arrested, along with the 3 guys he was with.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Yes, it is good to make sure your pups go to good homes, but look at vet records at any clinic and see how many non-hunters spend hundreds/thousands of $ on vet treatment. How many ht/ft owners are "educated" on how to take care of the dog, or just send it to the vet. I don't know how to fix most of my vehicle, doesn't mean i shouldn't own one.

  8. #18
    Kristie Wilder
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckpopper
    Yes, it is good to make sure your pups go to good homes, but look at vet records at any clinic and see how many non-hunters spend hundreds/thousands of $ on vet treatment. How many ht/ft owners are "educated" on how to take care of the dog, or just send it to the vet. I don't know how to fix most of my vehicle, doesn't mean i shouldn't own one.
    But you should know well before the engine blows or the wheels fall off and you should perform regular maintenance and make sure it's conditioned for the environment in which you drive it... Right? And, if you don't, your car doesn't "suffer" for your lack of care... But a dog does.

    And THAT is where my problem lies...

    -K

  9. #19
    Senior Member ErinsEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,736

    Default

    I prefer to sell to hunters because I find they not only take outstanding care of their dogs, they appreciate their dogs. People that say they want to compete aren't always the best homes IMHO, especially if they are more interested in the ribbons than the dogs.
    Nancy P



    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

  10. #20
    Kristie Wilder
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge
    I prefer to sell to hunters because I find they not only take outstanding care of their dogs, they appreciate their dogs. People that say they want to compete aren't always the best homes IMHO, especially if are more interested in the ribbons than the dogs.
    There are some FT and HT folks that I wouldn't want to sell a pup to, either, but it's a lot easier to find out about them with the small world we operate in...

    -K

Similar Threads

  1. Despite manufacturers claims
    By Bruce MacPherson in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-29-2008, 12:23 AM
  2. Anyone experience an older dog with mild stroke?
    By Kim McElwee in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 09:11 PM
  3. heat stroke
    By gmhr1 in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM
  4. seizures ? mini stroke ?
    By Hope in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
  5. Buyers and Sellers Claims - USERS PLEASE READ
    By Chris Atkinson in forum Classifieds - Gear/Equipment, Art & Outdoor collectibles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 02:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •