The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heat stroke claims another

Wow....

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:

MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I think that the solitary life on a Pro's truck is a less than desirable life for a pack animal.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I'm a hunter and love my dog.......Kristie for you to paint brush all hunters is wrong!

WOW Indeed

If this is the kind of generalization hunters get from informed folks in our sport, imagine what kind of generalizations the uninformed outside of our sport could imagine????????????

Kristie Wilder

As I said, I'm speaking from experience...

Watching a hunter slam his dog head first into the ground because he thought his dog had a "feather stuck in her throat" when she was actually overheating. He could have literally broken her neck while trying to save her from a feather and he was lucky we were there to know what was going on.

I'm thankful for the folks, hunters or not, that want to know what they need to do to take good care of their dogs. But the hunters on here are VERY VERY FEW in relation to the population in general. Look at other hunting boards and see what the discussions are. I'm NOT saying most folks don't love and care for their dogs. They just don't know what to do nor do they take the time to investigate what to do...

As a BREEDER, and BREEDER ONLY (not an individual, not a trainer, not anything else), I will stand by my choice. From MY experience, sounds like nobody else's and that's fine, I've seen enough to make my personal choice.

-K

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by kdbauman
    WOW Indeed

If this is the kind of generalization hunters get from informed folks in our sport, imagine what kind of generalizations the uninformed outside of our sport could imagine????????????
    I wouldn't take me as "typical" of someone in the sport... So don't let my views be seen as the general population's views. Clearly they aren't.

I've become very involved in retriever rescue. And many of these dogs are field bred and were sold to "good homes"... I'm tired of it, to be honest. And I have a MAJOR breeding soap box that many breeder's don't have.

So there's no need for any hunters to be offended by anyone but me.

-K

At least you do know how to offend someone!

This might be the most humorous thread EVER on RTF and I mean that in a very sad way.

Ignorant hunter regards….keep on digging that hole.

I wrote a long reply earlier and erased it because no matter how I agree with Kristie it will sound bad to some.

I am first and foremost a hunter. No one takes better care of their dogs then I do. BUT, there are way too many hunters (and pet keepers) that should not have a dog. I see far fewer bad owners that participate in the dog sports. Basically because they are involved and care. Not that most hunters aren't or don't.

Kristie just wants to be able to verify her dogs are going to good solid homes with people that know how to care for them. I don't blame her. If that's easier for her selling her pups to HT or Trial homes so be it.

All I can say is I know where she's coming from.

Jeff

Kristie Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Beamer81
    At least you do know how to offend someone!
    Of course it's offensive. Just like someone wouldn't sell me a puppy out of an fc/afc bitch breeding. I'm not the market for them. I'm not going to give them the bang for their buck.

Just like the rescue group I work with technically wouldn't place a dog with me because they stay outside most of the day.

But see the difference is that I'm not offended because these are choices they have each made and I don't fit into their group... And I actually understand why...

We all have rules and they're going to offend SOMEONE. But they're all made for a reason based on the beliefs and experiences of the person making them...

I reiterate, for those of you who aren't actually paying attention and get offended and irritated... I NEVER said hunters were stupid. I DID say, as a group, and IN GENERAL (and there ARE exceptions), they are not as educated (either by choice or by naiviety or by ignorance, whatever) about issues concerning health management (for lack of a better term). There are exceptions in every group.

-K