The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Retriever vs. Pointer Folks...NO COMPARISON

Default Retriever vs. Pointer Folks...NO COMPARISON

I lurked around this forum for many months before finally joining and asking the typical newbie questions. Quite a few years ago I owned a GSP and knew less about the pointer world than I did about the retriever world when I got involved in this addiction. I must say that the retriever folks are much, much, much more willing to help a newbie. Forums like this for pointer folks are filled with arrogant pros, amateurs, and newbies alike. You can forget about getting a straight answer to a simple training question. Want a pro to send your pup to...flip a coin....because most pros on the sites I visited would PM you why you should not use pro A or pro B and never give you any reason to use them. I'm sure there are some retriever folks that are this way as well but it seems to me that they are few and far between. Also, I'm sure there are some great pointer folks as well. However, I never met them-the pro I ended up using included. I've had some of the "big" names on RTF pm me with answers to some petty problem that has probably been asked a million times before. It didn't stop there, a lot of them followed up on my progress and asked if they could help me with anything else. I found a pro in my area through months of research. That pro, without knowing me from Adam, took the time to help me find a quality breeding. A breeding that happened to be posted on this forum's classified section. The breeders have been an amazing couple to deal with as well. My pup is just over 5 months old and will be headed to the pro in a month or so. I'll be headed to my first hunt test to observe/help as needed next weekend. I would like to thank all of you on this forum for making this site and the retriever world in general a great place to be. Now since I've buttered all of you up, when I get my pup back from the trainer, I'll notify everyone on here so they can send me GPS coordinates to all of their "honey holes". Besides, we need to make sure my pup can retrieve and what better way to do that than a live hunting situation. Seriously, thanks to all of you for not being like those arrogant a$$holes that I encountered in the pointer world.

Hey COC - c'mon up to Ohio. I'll take you to my Honey Hole. Your dog will be trained to be bored for hours on end with no action. You'll have a dog that learns how to lay down and sleep only sitting up to search the sky when it hears wings whistling overhead...making sure the birds see its movement before moving on.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

I have never found that to be the case in the NW. I got invites to ride and plant birds at the championship series last year. They put me up in nice accommodations, fed me, catered to me and one guy was ready to give me a pup. Like anything, folks on the Internet don't come across the way they are in real life all that often. In any groups, it's hard to get your foot in with people until they've seen you are committed and don't waste their time and energy. RTF has folks who like to post lots of advice freely in a friendly manner. Not a lot of it is from folks who've ever accomplished much. There are some here who are amazing and post great stuff but, for a newbie, it will take you a long time to figure out which you should follow.

Looking at it from the big picture, HNTFSH (instead of from overlooking your plastic pond), coc's given a helluva testimonial. Wholly concur with him about the largesse and willingness to help of retriever trainers - and, with the exception of the fine amateur folk in NAVHDA, about the good ol' boy "pointer world" as well. And it ain't just "on the Internet" where they "come across that way," either.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Looking at it from the big picture, HNTFSH (instead of from overlooking your plastic pond)
    ssssshhhhh!!! The Plond is only a reciprocal hunt MG. Think of it as a Paul's Plond.

I'm talking about all my other Honey Holes.

Paul's pond = fake hunting

HNTFSH-
    You are definetly one of the good guys in my book. A straight shooter. I am going to get up your way to meet you in person one day. Been in and out of dr's offices and a short hospital stay lately due to disc problems in my back. I'm just 37 and have had 2 back surgeries with another in my future it appears. Anyway, I am going to show up one day.

Paul-not all pointer folks are bad, nor are all retriever folks good but the majority of each I've ran into have been just as I stated. Also, I completely understand people can hide behind a screen and act totally different. However, I met quite a few pointer people in person and have already met some of the retriever folks as well. I look forward to meeting many more at our HRC test next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Paul's pond = fake hunting
    Then imagine hunting over a plastic one.

I think a big Hooray! needs to be shouted out for Chris Atkinson whose idea this all was and who has nurtured it over the years.

So here goes, everybody together now! Hip HIP...............

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post
    I lurked around this forum for many months before finally joining and asking the typical newbie questions. Quite a few years ago I owned a GSP and knew less about the pointer world than I did about the retriever world when I got involved in this addiction. I must say that the retriever folks are much, much, much more willing to help a newbie. Forums like this for pointer folks are filled with arrogant pros, amateurs, and newbies alike. You can forget about getting a straight answer to a simple training question. Want a pro to send your pup to...flip a coin....because most pros on the sites I visited would PM you why you should not use pro A or pro B and never give you any reason to use them. I'm sure there are some retriever folks that are this way as well but it seems to me that they are few and far between. Also, I'm sure there are some great pointer folks as well. However, I never met them-the pro I ended up using included. I've had some of the "big" names on RTF pm me with answers to some petty problem that has probably been asked a million times before. It didn't stop there, a lot of them followed up on my progress and asked if they could help me with anything else. I found a pro in my area through months of research. That pro, without knowing me from Adam, took the time to help me find a quality breeding. A breeding that happened to be posted on this forum's classified section. The breeders have been an amazing couple to deal with as well. My pup is just over 5 months old and will be headed to the pro in a month or so. I'll be headed to my first hunt test to observe/help as needed next weekend. I would like to thank all of you on this forum for making this site and the retriever world in general a great place to be. Now since I've buttered all of you up, when I get my pup back from the trainer, I'll notify everyone on here so they can send me GPS coordinates to all of their "honey holes". Besides, we need to make sure my pup can retrieve and what better way to do that than a live hunting situation. Seriously, thanks to all of you for not being like those arrogant a$$holes that I encountered in the pointer world.
    I don't know about the pointer people but I can concur about the retriever people. I can remember when I first started which is not long ago....I called Rick Stawski of Fineline Retrievers and left a message. I have never paid him a dime nor anything else. He not only returned my call, answered all of my dumb questions, and was truly a nice very knowledgeable guy. I have alot of respect for him yet never met him. I then bought his tapes which I have played over and over again learning so much. This tells me all I need to know about him, class act.

I also joined a HRC club and have met the nicest people who help and I now consider close friends. Win, win all the way around with the retrievers.

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)