Default AI in Sask, US bans hunter important

Important announcement for hunters headed to SK, and all of us really

https://webmail.siu.edu/smms/1191027..._statement.htm

https://webmail.siu.edu/smms/1191027..._statement.htm

More - message being handed out at border
    HUNTERS
    IF YOU HUNT WILD GAME BIRDS IN THE PROVINCE OF
    SASKATCHEWAN
    USDA REGULATIONS PROHIBIT THE ENTRY OF YOUR HARVESTED BIRDS INTO THE U.S.
    Due to the recent outbreak of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza, game birds harvested in Saskatchewan may not enter the United States

YOU MUST LEAVE THE BIRDS IN CANADA

If you attempt to enter the US with wild birds taken in Saskatchewan, the birds will be confiscated and you may be subject to penalties.

Effective 27 September, 2007

Has the US Fish & Wildlife figured out a way to keep those birds from migrating south??

They'll probably ask for their passports.

Quote Originally Posted by Novemberwitch View Post
    Has the US Fish & Wildlife figured out a way to keep those birds from migrating south??

They'll probably ask for their passports.
    That right there is funny!!

This is from the USDA website. Nothing about killed wild birds anywhere on the site.
    Nothing about this on Customs and Border Protection, CDC, or any other site that I can find.
    The links you posted take me nowhere so I don’t know what your information is based on. I am guessing you got this information by e-mail and I don’t buy it

Karen Eggert (301) 734-7280
    Andrea McNally (202) 690-4178
    STATEMENT BY DR. JOHN CLIFFORD ON AVIAN INFLUENZA DETECTION IN CANADA
    September 27, 2007
    “Today, the Canadian Food Inspection Service Agency (CFIA) confirmed that test results from samples collected at a commercial broiler breeder farm in the Saskatchewan Province were positive for a North American strain of an H7N3 highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) virus. The virus detected in Canada is not the HPAI H5N1 virus that has spread through birds in Asia, Europe and Africa.
    “In accordance with an agreement between the United States and Canada, USDA is barring imports of all live birds, including chickens, turkeys and others, along with unprocessed avian products from the entire province of Saskatchewan. The United States has not imported poultry products from Saskatchewan since 2005.
    “CFIA is beginning depopulation of the infected flock and initiating thorough surveillance in the surrounding area. Canadian officials have assured us they will continue to provide us with detailed information on the epidemiological investigation and surveillance reports.
    “We will continue to monitor the situation closely. USDA is conducting surveillance for all strains of avian influenza, in cooperation with states, the Department of the Interior (DOI) and industry. Since March 2006, USDA, DOI and their state partners have collected approximately 175,000 live bird and environmental samples, all of which tested negative for HPAI. In addition, we continue to work closely with our international counterparts to rapidly detect and respond to detections of the virus.”
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

sorry about links, can't get them to function. I sure hope you'r right. you did notice though, that it mentions all unprocessed avian products in your quote from the website?
    Last edited by Rich Schultheis; 09-29-2007 at 04:04 PM.

My understanding is that it was a avian strain that is only specific to chickens and has only been found at one facility, so for US border officials to ban wild birds seems like a pretty big brush stroke.
    Misty Marsh Gun Dog Supplies is your source for Elsema remote release electronics, Dogtra, Sport Dog, Tri-Tronics, Armadillo foam, Dokken, Gunners Up wingers, Retriever Specalists, Alfa, Smartworks, and more. www.mistymarsh.com

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Marsh View Post
    My understanding is that it was a avian strain that is only specific to chickens and has only been found at one facility, so for US border officials to ban wild birds seems like a pretty big brush stroke.

it aint happening IMHO
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Those of us in the Pacific Northwet stand ready to guard our borders from invaders carrying disease. I personally have plans to stake out 10 acres of flooded millet in an all out attempt to eliminate the threat.

Not on my watch regards

Buba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Update......called a guide service in Saskatchewan this morning.....you can hunt but USDA won't let any harvested ducks/geese across. The quide said he was "shut down".
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)