The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best youth shotgun

Default Best youth shotgun

I have started my 10 year old daughter on shooting shotguns this year. I have a CZ 28 ga. over under that I have been having her shoot. She shoots it OK so long as she can rest it on something, but it still hurts her shoulder. I had her shoot my 12 ga. the other day, and she loves that, but it is still way too big for her to shoot with. I have a Browning Gold fusion semi-auto, so that soaks up alot of the recoil. Is there any particular model that anyone has found that will fit such a small petite person, yet still have light recoil? I would like to get her a 20 ga. that she will be able to keep shooting as she gets older.

Just another note, she now has her own puppy that she is training also. She is doing a pretty good job, and it helps that we have a good puppy also. This is a son of my MHR Maggie. She will start running him in some Nahra Started tests next year, and I don't see any reason why she shouldn't finish his title if she keeps going with the training. I am really not helping her anymore than just telling her what she needs to do. I am SOOO proud of her and everything that she does.
    Proud home of:
    MHR Murphys Magnum of Walnut Creek "Maggie"
    MHR HRCH Murphys Chevy Bel Air "Chevy"

Thumbs up

remington 870 yout model in 20 gage
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I agree with Ken, the 870 is the greatest shotgun on a budget ever made! I don't think anyone should say they've been a long time hunter unless you've owned at least ONE 870.

Troy
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH (Shooter)

My 11 year old shoots a youth 870 in 20 ga. He has shot it since He was 9. It kicks harder that my 12 ga. benelli.
    Even so, He never complains about the recoil. He really loves that gun and shoots it well. It is a great gun for a kid even though it kicks a bit more than an auto.

I started with a single shot 410 and still have it to this day. I will start my kids off with it and then move them up from there. I like it because it kicks so little but also because it disciplines you on shot selection, since you only get one crack at it. I still shoot it myself every once in a while just because it's so fun to shoot.

Larry
    Give 'em hell Devils! PT-42

Couple of options. If you can find a Remington 1100 LT-20 they tend to fit kids, then shoot the lightest loads that will make it cycle.

The other choice is get a 20 gauge O/U and shoot really light loads in it. Estate makes a 3/4 ounce 20 gauge load, essentially a 28 gauge load in a 20 guage shell. They hardly kick at all but won't cyle an auto.

DH

My wife is small, and she shootcs a 20 Guage Browning Gold synthetic with a Kick-eez pad, and it is like shooting a bb gun with regular 12 guage loads. I have seen several kids and smaller women at hunt tests using the Charles Daley youth model 12 guage that they sell at Wal-Mart.

I agree with Ken and the boys, 870 youth model. You will really see it fit her over the next couple of years as she grows into it.
    HRCH Buster Browns Tucker JH
    HR Maxamillion Bucks II JH

I've got to disagree with the 870. A gas operated auto is the best for recoil. Plus as soon as she starts shooting well enough to try sporting clays or skeet, a pump is a disadvantage for the doubles required for those games.

I bought my wife a Beretta 390 youth in 20 gauge. Beretta upgraded to the 391 a couple years ago but it is still the same gun with a few cosmetic changes. Love this gun. I take it for sharptails. It is a little short for me but it is a dream to carry.

The little guy in my avatar will be packing it in about 9 years.

I would look on Guns America. I'm sure you could find a used one fairly reasonable. Most people only have these guns for 3 or 4 years and then sell them as they grow out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by brian breuer View Post
    I've got to disagree with the 870. A gas operated auto is the best for recoil. Plus as soon as she starts shooting well enough to try sporting clays or skeet, a pump is a disadvantage for the doubles required for those games.
    The simplicity of the 870 makes it very easy to learn to take apart on the kitchen table and clean every part. A must teach part of hunting is cleaning the game and gun after. And although none of my business, I advise against a kid's first gun being a semi auto. While yout's are actually safer than adults, I learned at the hunter safety class I took this spring. I would like the chambering and firing of the second and third round to require more effort than the flexing of the index finger. Having to work the action makes the task just a little safer, I feel. And if you practice enough you can indeed hold your own with the skeet fellers. And on the occasion when you beat um it really annoys them if you do it with a pump gun.
    Ken Bora
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin