RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Best youth shotgun

56K views 73 replies 48 participants last post by  shawninthesticks 
#1 ·
I have started my 10 year old daughter on shooting shotguns this year. I have a CZ 28 ga. over under that I have been having her shoot. She shoots it OK so long as she can rest it on something, but it still hurts her shoulder. I had her shoot my 12 ga. the other day, and she loves that, but it is still way too big for her to shoot with. I have a Browning Gold fusion semi-auto, so that soaks up alot of the recoil. Is there any particular model that anyone has found that will fit such a small petite person, yet still have light recoil? I would like to get her a 20 ga. that she will be able to keep shooting as she gets older.

Just another note, she now has her own puppy that she is training also. She is doing a pretty good job, and it helps that we have a good puppy also. This is a son of my MHR Maggie. She will start running him in some Nahra Started tests next year, and I don't see any reason why she shouldn't finish his title if she keeps going with the training. I am really not helping her anymore than just telling her what she needs to do. I am SOOO proud of her and everything that she does.

#4 ·
My 11 year old shoots a youth 870 in 20 ga. He has shot it since He was 9. It kicks harder that my 12 ga. benelli.
Even so, He never complains about the recoil. He really loves that gun and shoots it well. It is a great gun for a kid even though it kicks a bit more than an auto.

#5 ·
I started with a single shot 410 and still have it to this day. I will start my kids off with it and then move them up from there. I like it because it kicks so little but also because it disciplines you on shot selection, since you only get one crack at it. I still shoot it myself every once in a while just because it's so fun to shoot.

Larry

#6 ·
Couple of options. If you can find a Remington 1100 LT-20 they tend to fit kids, then shoot the lightest loads that will make it cycle.

The other choice is get a 20 gauge O/U and shoot really light loads in it. Estate makes a 3/4 ounce 20 gauge load, essentially a 28 gauge load in a 20 guage shell. They hardly kick at all but won't cyle an auto.

DH

#7 ·
My wife is small, and she shootcs a 20 Guage Browning Gold synthetic with a Kick-eez pad, and it is like shooting a bb gun with regular 12 guage loads. I have seen several kids and smaller women at hunt tests using the Charles Daley youth model 12 guage that they sell at Wal-Mart.

#9 ·
I've got to disagree with the 870. A gas operated auto is the best for recoil. Plus as soon as she starts shooting well enough to try sporting clays or skeet, a pump is a disadvantage for the doubles required for those games.

I bought my wife a Beretta 390 youth in 20 gauge. Beretta upgraded to the 391 a couple years ago but it is still the same gun with a few cosmetic changes. Love this gun. I take it for sharptails. It is a little short for me but it is a dream to carry.

The little guy in my avatar will be packing it in about 9 years.

I would look on Guns America. I'm sure you could find a used one fairly reasonable. Most people only have these guns for 3 or 4 years and then sell them as they grow out of it.

#10 ·
I've got to disagree with the 870. A gas operated auto is the best for recoil. Plus as soon as she starts shooting well enough to try sporting clays or skeet, a pump is a disadvantage for the doubles required for those games.
The simplicity of the 870 makes it very easy to learn to take apart on the kitchen table and clean every part. A must teach part of hunting is cleaning the game and gun after. And although none of my business, I advise against a kid's first gun being a semi auto. While yout's are actually safer than adults, I learned at the hunter safety class I took this spring. I would like the chambering and firing of the second and third round to require more effort than the flexing of the index finger. Having to work the action makes the task just a little safer, I feel. And if you practice enough you can indeed hold your own with the skeet fellers. And on the occasion when you beat um it really annoys them if you do it with a pump gun.:cool:
Ken Bora

#11 ·
Best Kid Shotgun

I started out with a Youth Model Winchester 20 gauge pump. Very short and an easy shooter.

#12 ·
Gun

The best youth gun for someone that is a little apprehensive on kick is the Charles Daly 20 gauge automatic. I had a Winchester pump that my older son used until he switched to a 12 ga. so I passed it down to my younger son. He hated the amount of recoil that gun threw at him. He wanted to shoot my 12 ga everyday but couldn't handle the length. I found the Charles Daly at Walmart for $299.00. He shot it for 3 years and loved it. He bought a new 12 ga last year and sold his 20 ga for $250.00

#13 ·
I have the Remington 870 20ga in youth and I absolutely love it. I added a recoil pad for a little length. I don't feel much of anything when I shoot it. We've been shooting trap for the past couple weeks and I have no problem with it. Bought it for $150 used and it's in great shape. Just my opinion.

Kourtney

#14 ·
Franchi makes a 20 gauge gas-operated auto that comes with a either a youth sized or regular stock. Weighs less than the youth model 870 or 1100 and is a delight to shoot. My grandsons have grown up with them and love 'em to this day, having converted to adult stock as they grew up. 10 y/o has reinstalled youth stock this year.

#20 ·
I agree with this 100%. I am a short woman with obviously short arms. My length of pull is that of a youth. I have a 20 gauge winchester speed pump..It is nice because the pump action is a lot shorter than most. But, I don't care for the sight on the gun. However, I am going to buy the Franchi. Having small hands I find it is a lot more manageable to have a skinier forearm. The Franchi is very similar to the Benelli Montefeltro(SP) That'll be my new present this year and my 20 will be passed down to the boys who have been shooting the 20 gauge single shots..wanna talk about KICK!!! Tough kids...My hubby had me buy a Winchester superx2 12 gauge..LOL So..we went up to the woods and we were sighting in for turkeys...YEP..good ol turkey loads...OUCH! I put a 3" instead of the 3 1/2 he was shooting out of his mossberg 835 I believe..which was ported. I get up against a log and there was a ditch we had to cross about 1 foot and 1/2 away from this log...I shot and Holy SMOKES..I flew back..the gun came up and hit me in the check..rattled my brain and I almost went in the ditch..not joking..it was awful!!! I looked at him all pissed off..bugged out eyes and said I am NEVER shooting that thing ever again!!!! He said oh...you just weren't bracing yourself enough..these turkey loads will be the hotest loads you'll ever shoot and you'll be sitting up against a tree...I DON'T CARE!! Here YOU shoot it.. LMAO....He shot and ot rocked his world too..his eyes were HUGE and he was like WOW, I am so sorry..I had no idea this gun kicked so much.. Anyway...Now that I have rambled on I am getting at the fact don't skimp because it can really ruine a persons love for it all if they become scared of the recoil. Let her get her confidence. The nice thing is kids sometimes have no fear..but, they don't like the bruised cheecks later though. Oh...GUESS who got a brand new SUPER X 2??? Yep...he did..plus a 870 this August for his birthday..
BUT...
I am getting a new Franchi this year!!! Your girl will love it!!
Good Luck and she sounds like a really good kid....

#15 ·
My sons (didn't have any daughters) all started with a .410. They shot it at cans. When they could, they switched to an old 20 gauge single shot that I bought. They shot the shortest shells available. They shot bandtail pigeons, grouse and the oldest got his first rooster with that gun. When they outgrew it they got an 870 in 12 guage. A single shot is a great way to start out. They are light, have few moving parts and ya need to hit what you first shoot at. HPW

#19 ·
Gotta agree with this one. The problems Ken mentioned with auto vs pump and the single shot "one shot one kill" argument both get handled with the magazine cutoff or just loading the one bullet. This guy is light and quick and will promote good habits and will grow with the shooter. It will cycle the lightest loads and will shoot when it is too dirty to expect it to (don't ask how I know that).

Great gun and one that will last a lifetime.

Now all I gotta do is figure out how to get it back from the dang kids regards

Bubba

#17 ·
If you were not worried about recoil a Browning BPS youth 20 gauge should also be considered. The bottom eject works for left or right handed youth.

For an auto, I would second Ed's recommendation, a beretta. I picked up a used 20 ga. 303 for $250 and had the stock cut to fit. The 391 is an excellent choice for a new one but Berettas typically have a long length of pull so make sure you get the youth model.

The most important thing is to make sure it fits.

#21 ·
Another vote for the 391

I have to say the 391 too.

My daughter was on a youth trap team this year. Most of the kids, many girls included, shot the 391. In talking with a gun dealer at the state trap shoot he showed us a 12 ga 391 with a shorter stock for youth. It is otherwise a regular 12 ga. You can get a full sized stock later if need. Gun fit is going to be the most important facter in shooter comfort. You can get, or reload, light loads to help with recoil. Otherwise, I'm a fan of the 870 and O/U's. But, I think the proper fit and reduced recoil of the semi-auto are best for a new shooter. As far as safety goes, they can only load one at a time if that is all YOU give them!

Only since my daughter started shooting trap have I given more than 1 shell at a time. While she is essentially a full-grown woman at 17 I still reload light target loads, 7/8 oz @ 1100 fps. She shoots my old 870 and doesn't even notice the recoil. She's more than happy to burn through shells faster than I can reload them!

Make it fun for them and they'll be hooked for life!

Tom

#22 ·
Remington 870 20 Ga. Youth Model. I also agree that safety is THE primary issue for a youth. An auto is a bad idea for a youngster, IMHO. All it takes is one mistake for somebody to die. Also, with practice, you can make follow up shots plenty fast enough for ANY kind of shooting. The single shot also has a lot of merit, being the ultimate in safety, and also teaching good first shot selection, as has already been mentioned.

#23 ·
Remington 870

The Remington 870 20ga is the perfect gun for children. My youngest son started out with a Remington 870 youth model cut down by an inch. He is in the 4H shooting program and shoots trap. His score is generally around 18-22/25. He shoots really well and never complains of the recoil. He has been using this gun for 3 years and he is 13. This year we will have the inch added back to the stock as he finally grew.

I think children should start out with a pump, they have to think about it more and it makes it safer. Also when starting out you would not want them to shut the action of a auto on there little fingers. They have some much to think about when learning gun handling that a auto just adds a little bit more danger to the situation. I also agree that its easyier for them to take apart a pump and clean it.

My children had to learn to take them apart, clean them and handle them correctly before they ever shot them. They are extremly safe and love to shoot.

My oldest son started out with Mossberg 20GA Pump, he just moved up to a Mossberg Silver Reserve 12ga O/U he is also in the 4H shooting program and on the shooting team. Their team just competed in a NRA shoot and took 3rd against alot of adults that have been shooting for years. He is 15 he shot a Youth 20GA pump until he was 13.

All children should be taught save gun handling even if they never plan to shoot a gun. Mine started shooting 22 rifles when they were 6. Start them out with a 22 rifle or a 20ga pump and they should do great.

Just my opinon!!!

Heather McCormack

#26 ·
"remington 870 yout model in 20 gage"

Oh no... I had one and it was the worst gun for recoil I have ever shot. The 870 12g is much, much better and they make a youth/ladies adapter kit for it. Lots of other good choices mentioned, and I will throw another one out there. I shoot a Traditions 12g semiauto made for ladies/youth. It has been a great gun for the last 5 years and it hunts every season. I am a very small gal (5 foot tall, 110#) and the only time I feel recoil is with 3" steel shot. It uses Beretta chokes. I tried to post up a pic but it will only let me put up a tiny image.

#27 ·
Look for a used Ruger Red Label in 20 gauge, they are cheaper than a new 391. I like break open guns for kids because it is easier to see if it is loaded from a distance. Sometimes you can't see the action on a pump or auto.

If recoil is an issue there are some 3/4 ounce loads out there for the 20. Essentially a 28 gauge load in a 20 gauge.

DH

#33 ·
Look for a used Ruger Red Label in 20 gauge,
Being the proud owner of both a Red Label 20 ga. and a Beretta 20 ga. 391 I can attest that there is no comparison of weight or recoil, the Beretta is lighter and has less recoil, my beloved 20 ga. Red Label has the same recoil as my 12 ga. Beretta 391

#28 ·
A word of caution for those kids shooting a 410 single shot. That is the gun I started hunting with 35 years ago. Besides not being able to hit anything with it I dont think it is a very safe gun. The gun I have is a NEF and there are plenty of them around. A few years ago I took it out of the closet to shoot some pigeons. As I was pulling the hammer back for a shot my thumb slipped off the hammer and it fired. Fortunatly it never happened in my youth but that gun is now retired and I certainly would not let a kid with smaller and weaker hands shoot it. I dont have any other single shots so I dont know if the newer ones have a have a safety that wont allow that to happen or not but it would be worth checking on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.