RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Best youth shotgun

56K views 73 replies 48 participants last post by  shawninthesticks 
#1 ·
I have started my 10 year old daughter on shooting shotguns this year. I have a CZ 28 ga. over under that I have been having her shoot. She shoots it OK so long as she can rest it on something, but it still hurts her shoulder. I had her shoot my 12 ga. the other day, and she loves that, but it is still way too big for her to shoot with. I have a Browning Gold fusion semi-auto, so that soaks up alot of the recoil. Is there any particular model that anyone has found that will fit such a small petite person, yet still have light recoil? I would like to get her a 20 ga. that she will be able to keep shooting as she gets older.

Just another note, she now has her own puppy that she is training also. She is doing a pretty good job, and it helps that we have a good puppy also. This is a son of my MHR Maggie. She will start running him in some Nahra Started tests next year, and I don't see any reason why she shouldn't finish his title if she keeps going with the training. I am really not helping her anymore than just telling her what she needs to do. I am SOOO proud of her and everything that she does.

#31 ·
My recent experience

This isn't as much opinion about the best youth shotgun as it is my actual experience this year. I tried to force things in a different direction but wound up very satisfied with the way things have worked out.

I just started my 8 year old son, Pierce, shooting a shotgun and dove hunting this year. Over the last winter and spring, I had him hoist a lot of youth size shotguns to see how he handled them. What became the determining factor for me was getting something that was not too heavy for his left arm to handle. He shoots right handed, is 4'6" tall and weighs 82 lbs. The Youth model multi shooters were all too heavy in the fore end. I had him hold them up as long as he could. I did not time it, but his left arm got tired way too fast for my liking. (Maybe, 5 to 15 seconds, depending on the shotgun, and he started wavering considerably). I have to admit I felt a little disappointment that the multi-shooters were not going to work out. (disappointment in this case is correctly spelled b-r-u-i-s-e-d e-g-o)

I got my old Ithaca Mod 66 Supersingle out that I bought when I was 11 years old for my first gun. The length of pull was 14" and obviously too long (no recoil pad, just a plastic butt plate) and it too was a little heavy in the fore end. I bought some 7/8 oz. 20 ga. loads and we went to the range and shot some trap. He got beat up pretty good. We went home and cut 2-1/2" off the stock, and installed a 1" recoil pad, http://www.lymanproducts.com/pachmayr/, Pachmayr Youth Decelarator Model #01380. He handled the gun a lot better and had much better fore end control. Back to the range, to shoot some trap. He loaded a round, called pull, fired, the clay bird broke then he looked up at me, smiled and said "That didn't kick any harder than my BB gun". It still kicks pretty good because I see his shoulder and head recoil with each shot, but his perceived recoil is minimized enough that he is now having a lot of fun shooting it and never mentions recoil.

We went to the trap range several times in August, and it was pretty hot. He would shoot 5 shells and we would take a little break, then 5 more and another little break. He has been drilled in gun safety (with a 45 year old Daisy BB gun) since he was 4 and does a very good job. The 5 rounds and rest thing gave me a good opportunity to watch him transition from shooting to racking the gun then back to shooting in safe manner. It also seemed to keep him interested and fresh. Some of the old guys sat and watched him shoot and their first comment was always, "Your doing a great job with gun safety son, keep it up". I was surprised as he regularly broke 3 and 4 out of 5 targets, from straight behind the trap with the wobble turned off. I did notice that when we tried to stay at the line and shoot 10 or more rounds without a little break that his left arm began to tire and he started missing more. When his left arm gets tired, I notice that he begins to arch his back and shift his weight to his rear foot, it's time to go right then and not push it. As I recall, the most he has shot at the trap range in one outing is two boxes of shells.

"Braggin part" - We went dove hunting and on opening day, he hit his first bird on the wing at about 15 yards moving about thirty miles an hour. I was trying to get the word "wait" out as the bird was too close. I did not speak in time, and he took the head clean off and did not put a hole in the eatin' part. We have gone every weekend until today, and he has shot 2 to 4 birds each time. We are both having fun, he is very happy and safe with the gun and enjoying success. He has already commented that I kill more birds because I have more chances with my pump shotgun. Now his appetite is whetted to move to a more-than-one-shooter so we have another "new gun experience" to look forward to.

Long story I guess, but it is my actual experience. My opinion based on this experience, is

1) Be sure the gun has a LOP that will let the child mount it properly and light enough for the young'un to hold it up, as if pointing at a bird, for 20 seconds or longer. This obviously has a lot to do with the size of the child and the weight distribution of the gun.

2) Put a high quality very soft recoil pad on the gun. (I paid $50 for the Ithaca in 1968, and $30 for a recoil pad in 2007) It is worth every penny when you see the difference in your childs reaction to the recoil.

3) Get light loads to reduce recoil. (Pierce has had no problem breaking clays or killing dove with AA TARGET LOAD 20 ga., 2-3/4", 2-1/2 DR.EQ., 7/8 oz., #8's or #9's. The gun has a modified choke and has worked well on dove at 35 to 40 yards.)

4) Take them too the trap range or get a clay bird launcher and let them shoot at their own pace. Have them take a break before they appear to be tiring. Give encouragement, congratulations and safety commentary only, no shooting advice unless you are an expert shooting instructor. They will figure out lead and timing on their own, it's amazing, and will enjoy it much more that way in my opinion. :)shock: My wife was kind enough to explain this in detail when she started shooting with me :oops:)

5) I had my head set on getting a youth multi shooter in 12 or 20 ga. and shooting light rounds. However, after this experience, I really feel the single shot has been the best thing for both of us.

I don't want to preach to anyone about Safety, simply offer my personal veiwpoint. With the break open action, it is very easy for me to see from a distance if the gun has been made safe. I have stayed within arms reach of my son at the range and on these first few hunts. When I let him go pick up a downed bird, I follow close behind. As I get moreconfidence in his continuing Gun Safety, I am sure I will let him begin to get a little farther away from me. If, for any reason, I have to tell him from a distance to make his gun safe, I know I will be able to see the action broke open. My pride wants to say he would be safe with any gun, but my common sense says I need to take every pre-caution I can and the single shot is one of those pre-cautions for me.

Good luck, searching for the right gun is fun, and watching them have fun with it is even funnerer-er.

#36 · (Edited)
My opinion!

20 gauge guns are OK. The problem I see with them is that the 20 by nature is a higher pressure load. Most FACTORY loads ,, and I'm talkin Target loads, run in the 8500-10500LUP range! Thats just as much, if not more than a 12 guage Factory target in the same load.
Put that shell in a LIGHT 20 guage,, and a youth is gonna be effected by recoil. Like ED said, Not so bad in an auto!,,but in a light field gun,,they'll pound ya!

I re-load. I shoot a vintage SXS that needs to have a lower pressure load.
I can re-load shells that only run in the 4000 psi range. They have 3/4 to 7/8 ounces of shot! Great for teaching, and my old sorry arse at the range! Those shells in a 7lb gun,,even though its a 12 guage is just a joy to shoot! If I up the pressur a bit, I can get them to cycle in my 391 12 guage,, and ya dont feel recoil at all!!!

I think Wichester has a Light target load specifically for young shooters in 12 guage. Its a tartget load however.

ED!!!!!! What dog is that in your Avatar????

Gooser

#41 ·
My first gun at the age of 11 was am Ithaca 37 in 20 ga. I shot thousands of rounds through that and strongly encourage anyone to have child learn a pump gun for the discipline of making the first shot count and the coordination.

My small-framed, 13 y/o nephew has shot the Remington 870 20 ga. like a champ since he was 11. Last summer he said he felt it wasn't fair to compare our shooting when I was shooting a "12 ga. cannon", so I bought a used Benelli M2 in 20 ga. and carried that all last fall instead.

The M2 is the softest shooting gun I've ever handled and is an absolute joy to hunt with. The prior owner had the stock cut down an inch for his daughter, but had it done so the extra inch could be put back in for an adult or larger youth. What a great option.

Even when I wasn't hunting with Ben this fall, I started taking the M2 with me to hunt roosters, ducks and even geese. It was phenomenal what you can do with a 3" load of 5 shot and an extended choke tube these days. It killed geese just as dead as any 12 ga. I can remember. I can't really say there's any reason a youth starting out today can't shoot a 20 ga. with 3" shells at just about anything for as long as they want.

If Ben is still as ethusiastic and keeps improving, he might earn the M2 as a 16th or 18th birthday present if i can bear to part with it.

I cherish my experience shooting a pump gun for the first 6-8 years before I ever got to shoot an auto.

T

#42 ·
Just went threw this with my son. Stay away from .410. It is hard to shoot and does not promote success. If your child is having problems with the 28g then it is a bad time to move up to a 20g. I would look for loads that have less oz. of bbs. It will greatly reduce felt recoil. You can also add weight to the stock, that will also reduce felt recoil, after that have the barrel ported. My rule for 20g is for the child to be 80lbs. Automatics spread out the time that it takes for recoil to hit, thus reducing felt recoil. Most of the single shot shotguns are not very good. They are light and increase the amount of felt recoil. When your child is 80lbs you can switch to a pump if you like the 870 is good and the mossberg is good. I feel the mossberg is the better value. Getting an automatic is perferable, any of the 3B's would be fine.

#44 ·
After I posted last night I seen where Remington seems to be going to the dark side on the political stage ,I will investgate this further and if that is the case ,I will not support any of their products.

I did some more research last night .I have had a Winchester SX3 12 ga for several years and it has never let me down and has been my favorite gun I've owned to date. I found this

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winc...uth+shotguns&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products.

I believe I will look into this further. I need to find someone local to get a true measurement to fit my son. When he out grows it it will go to my daughter. As far as the pump vs. semi safety aspect ,thru all the rounds he shot this weekend he was only allowed to load 1 shell each time, and could only load it while on the line. It will remain that way for several years for safety and also mental awarness that the ist shot is the one that counts.

I've owned and still due own several Mossbergs and the best explanation I have of them are " they kill on 1 end and cripple on the other " hardest kicking gun I've ever seen.

#45 ·
I've had a few different ones for my 10yo, and the Weatherby SA-08 20g has been our best bet.
http://www.weatherby.com/product/shotguns/sa_08/sa08_sytheticyouth

We tried the following -
1. Remington 1100 20g - cut down an inch, kinda heavy, not weighted very well.
2. Remington 870 Youth 20g Pump - great size, ok weight, but kicks like a bronco.
3. Tristar 20 gauge - ( from Academy). Great little gun, super light easy to handle, but would not eject 20g 2-3/4 steel shot for some reason - which worried me.
4. Weatherby SA-08 youth 20g - super light (one of, if not the lightest of all brands), very little kick - all good so far .

#47 ·
My Brother started his twin daughters at age 11 with the Mossberg 500 Bantam combo. http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-bantam-combo/54188. while not the finest gun ever made but it is good quality and value. It comes with 2 beads on the vent rib, 3 choke tubes, and a slug barrel. It also comes with a certificate to upgrade to an adult sized stock when needed. The bluing is surprisingly nice, it is your typical economy hardwood stock. He put a kick ease pad on them, to reduce recoil. We hand loaded light loads until they were used to shooting them. Last spring each girl harvested a wild turkey with them. Over the summer they were averaging 18 and 19 in a youth trap league with them. Last fall they each dropped their first roosters with them. Not bad for a pair of 13 year olds. If you do not need the slug barrel they have other models without. If you want more flexibility; the synthetic stocked models have a spacer under the pad for an even shorter LOP plus the certificate for the adult stock, a kid can really grow into it. Light loads and a proper fitting gun goes a very long way.

#48 ·
I like my semi-autos, I wish I could budget in a Benelli montifeltro 20 gauge into my collection but hasn't happened yet. A friend of mine has one it has hardly any recoil and is very light to carry. You could have a gunsmith shorten stock if needed.
I think it would be a dream gun for your little girl.

#49 ·
I have one and they do recoil pretty good on the heavier 3" duck loads. Having said that, my Monte 20 ga will be the last gun they pry from my cold dead fingers. I absolutely love mine.

My 9 year old son who is average to above average in size, shoots a Tri-Star 20 gauge youth semi-auto. Pluses are uses Benelli choke tubes and customer service seems really good. Minuses are really stiff bolt release and no barrel length options. I would like to find him a bit longer barrel for trap shooting. I did end up having the bolt release gun-smithed, it was so stiff he could not release the bolt.

Decent gun for the money, I would buy another. the gas operated semi-auto is the way to go for a beginner. Don't buy into the "I had a single shot as my first gun, that's all he/she needs..." mumbo jumbo! If you want your son/daughter to develop a passion for shooting, make sure you are setting them up with something that does not beat them up every time they shoot.

Two weeks ago he shot his first 3 rounds of trap (75 shots) without flinching. On only his third round shooting trap on an official range, he hit 9 out of 25. And that is with clay's going all angles, and he shot all 5 positions. I think that's pretty good.

#52 ·
First hand experience. Get a youth model for sure. Hated the Remington 1100, kicked hard and had trouble loading it at times. My favorite is my Franchi 20 ga youth model, not a bad kick and user friendly. Great for children and small women.

#53 ·
I have two girls and a wife that I have been teaching to shoot. My opinion and experience with my girls. Stay far away from the 870 youth, I had it, wife used it, got rid of it. She took my beretta al390 12g because it kicked way less than the 870 youth 20g. I just bought my 11 yr old girl a remington 1187 20 g youth and it is a nice gun. It has stock extensions to adjust as she grows and does not kick nearly as much as the 870. Little pricer at $600 than the 870, but you wont ruin your kids experience and it is way less expensive than beretta 20 g youth at $1300, which would have been my next choice. You have to keep it clean it is not as bullet proof as the 870 or beretta it will jam when it gets dirty, but hey just keep it clean.

#54 ·
Though it is quite a bit more expensive than the options others are recommending, I really like the Benelli Montefeltro in 20 ga. They currently have a combo package that comes with two stocks; a youth size and a full size so it will fit them as they grow up. Gun is incredibly light which makes it easier for them to hold and carry all day as well as being pretty soft shooting.

#55 · (Edited)
Remington 20ga 870 is the way to go. And if you want to be dad of the year. Here's a hint my daughter shoots an 870, 20 ga youth model that is pink camo.

WOW I can't believe some of the advice on here about giving a child a gas operated autoloader shotgun.
That's very dangerous. A pump shotgun makes the shooter settle in and make every shot count. While an automatic in the hands of someone just leaning to shot is dangerous most non experinced shooters will just let the lead fly. Trying to get that magic shot off. That's just my opinion but what do I know.

#57 ·
WOW I can't believe your inability to think through this topic. You assume people that get their kids semi-auto's are giving them unlimited ammo and letting them load up. A lot of people forget, in their rush to judgement, that a semi-auto makes a great single shot! The bolt even stays open waiting for the next one, making it easier. It is obvious you have never spent anytime with youth shotgun instruction, yet pass judgement.

870's and the Montefeltro's are going to kick more than a gas operated semi-auto. I have both. Monte's are inertia not gas. There is a difference. If you are starting your kids at 12 or 13 fine, no problem. If you are starting them at 8 or 9, big difference - go gas operated. You want them to want to do it again, not be afraid to do it again.

#60 ·
I have a lot of experience with children and adults in shotgun instruction. And I wouldn't nor would I advise someone I don't know to buy their child a semi-automatic shotgun. A lot of people don't have the common sense or restrain to only give their child one shell to fire if it will carry 3 shells load it up is most mind sets. I also don't recommend it for first time adult shooters.
If recoil is the concern they need to use a lighter shot load. Like a 2 and 3/4 inch #7 or 7and 1/2 load.

#56 ·
as far as simplicity goes a Rem 870 is great as well as a Benelli Nova but for recoil and a long lasting shotgun I would have to say a Winchester SX3 20g I have been through the mill trying to find a shotgun that doesnt kick but will knock down a wild pheasant for my wife and I finally found it - My wife has a bad shoulder from a car accident and cant handle the kick of most shotguns. I can shoot it one handed and it cycles through skeet rounds with no issue even in cold weather. Hope this helps.

#65 ·
I'm waiting on a price from a friend who owns a small local gun store for the Weatherby SA-08 Youth 20g.

GoldenBoy ,I agree with what you say ,about the fact that it takes common sense to not load several rounds in a semi auto for youth. We shot Saturday and between a 4/10 O/U and 20 gauge semi he shot somewhere around 80+ rounds and he caried 1 shell to the line each time and didnt load it until he was in place to shoot,with me standing directly behind him with more shells.

In this case we're not talking about city folk who just decide they wanted to be hunters/shooters due to watching Duck Dynasty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.