The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best youth shotgun

Default Best Kid Shotgun

I started out with a Youth Model Winchester 20 gauge pump. Very short and an easy shooter.

Default Gun

The best youth gun for someone that is a little apprehensive on kick is the Charles Daly 20 gauge automatic. I had a Winchester pump that my older son used until he switched to a 12 ga. so I passed it down to my younger son. He hated the amount of recoil that gun threw at him. He wanted to shoot my 12 ga everyday but couldn't handle the length. I found the Charles Daly at Walmart for $299.00. He shot it for 3 years and loved it. He bought a new 12 ga last year and sold his 20 ga for $250.00

I have the Remington 870 20ga in youth and I absolutely love it. I added a recoil pad for a little length. I don't feel much of anything when I shoot it. We've been shooting trap for the past couple weeks and I have no problem with it. Bought it for $150 used and it's in great shape. Just my opinion.

Kourtney
    Kiela
    Tigress Midnight Wind Stalker (pending)

Remington's Black Powder Jasper - Jasper
    February 25, 2004 - March 24, 2006

Boscoe
    March 15, 2006 - April 19, 2007
    http://boscoegrowsup.blogspot.com

Franchi makes a 20 gauge gas-operated auto that comes with a either a youth sized or regular stock. Weighs less than the youth model 870 or 1100 and is a delight to shoot. My grandsons have grown up with them and love 'em to this day, having converted to adult stock as they grew up. 10 y/o has reinstalled youth stock this year.
    "Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever"

Chet Rollins(Jack Palance) in Monte Walsh

My sons (didn't have any daughters) all started with a .410. They shot it at cans. When they could, they switched to an old 20 gauge single shot that I bought. They shot the shortest shells available. They shot bandtail pigeons, grouse and the oldest got his first rooster with that gun. When they outgrew it they got an 870 in 12 guage. A single shot is a great way to start out. They are light, have few moving parts and ya need to hit what you first shoot at. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Beretta 391 Youth Model, 24" barrell, 20 ga, cut down stock
    "Resting here until day break when shadows fall and darkness disappears lies Quanah Parker, last Chief of the Comanches"

If you were not worried about recoil a Browning BPS youth 20 gauge should also be considered. The bottom eject works for left or right handed youth.

For an auto, I would second Ed's recommendation, a beretta. I picked up a used 20 ga. 303 for $250 and had the stock cut to fit. The 391 is an excellent choice for a new one but Berettas typically have a long length of pull so make sure you get the youth model.

The most important thing is to make sure it fits.

An Remington 870 is hard to beat for a first gun....todays kids kind of whine about the recoil so maybe the auto is a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Beretta 391 Youth Model, 24" barrell, 20 ga, cut down stock

Gotta agree with this one. The problems Ken mentioned with auto vs pump and the single shot "one shot one kill" argument both get handled with the magazine cutoff or just loading the one bullet. This guy is light and quick and will promote good habits and will grow with the shooter. It will cycle the lightest loads and will shoot when it is too dirty to expect it to (don't ask how I know that).

Great gun and one that will last a lifetime.

Now all I gotta do is figure out how to get it back from the dang kids regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rehmet View Post
    Franchi makes a 20 gauge gas-operated auto that comes with a either a youth sized or regular stock. Weighs less than the youth model 870 or 1100 and is a delight to shoot. My grandsons have grown up with them and love 'em to this day, having converted to adult stock as they grew up. 10 y/o has reinstalled youth stock this year.

I agree with this 100%. I am a short woman with obviously short arms. My length of pull is that of a youth. I have a 20 gauge winchester speed pump..It is nice because the pump action is a lot shorter than most. But, I don't care for the sight on the gun. However, I am going to buy the Franchi. Having small hands I find it is a lot more manageable to have a skinier forearm. The Franchi is very similar to the Benelli Montefeltro(SP) That'll be my new present this year and my 20 will be passed down to the boys who have been shooting the 20 gauge single shots..wanna talk about KICK!!! Tough kids...My hubby had me buy a Winchester superx2 12 gauge..LOL So..we went up to the woods and we were sighting in for turkeys...YEP..good ol turkey loads...OUCH! I put a 3" instead of the 3 1/2 he was shooting out of his mossberg 835 I believe..which was ported. I get up against a log and there was a ditch we had to cross about 1 foot and 1/2 away from this log...I shot and Holy SMOKES..I flew back..the gun came up and hit me in the check..rattled my brain and I almost went in the ditch..not joking..it was awful!!! I looked at him all pissed off..bugged out eyes and said I am NEVER shooting that thing ever again!!!! He said oh...you just weren't bracing yourself enough..these turkey loads will be the hotest loads you'll ever shoot and you'll be sitting up against a tree...I DON'T CARE!! Here YOU shoot it.. LMAO....He shot and ot rocked his world too..his eyes were HUGE and he was like WOW, I am so sorry..I had no idea this gun kicked so much.. Anyway...Now that I have rambled on I am getting at the fact don't skimp because it can really ruine a persons love for it all if they become scared of the recoil. Let her get her confidence. The nice thing is kids sometimes have no fear..but, they don't like the bruised cheecks later though. Oh...GUESS who got a brand new SUPER X 2??? Yep...he did..plus a 870 this August for his birthday..
    BUT...
    I am getting a new Franchi this year!!! Your girl will love it!!
    Good Luck and she sounds like a really good kid....