RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Best youth shotgun

56K views 73 replies 48 participants last post by  shawninthesticks 
#1 ·
I have started my 10 year old daughter on shooting shotguns this year. I have a CZ 28 ga. over under that I have been having her shoot. She shoots it OK so long as she can rest it on something, but it still hurts her shoulder. I had her shoot my 12 ga. the other day, and she loves that, but it is still way too big for her to shoot with. I have a Browning Gold fusion semi-auto, so that soaks up alot of the recoil. Is there any particular model that anyone has found that will fit such a small petite person, yet still have light recoil? I would like to get her a 20 ga. that she will be able to keep shooting as she gets older.

Just another note, she now has her own puppy that she is training also. She is doing a pretty good job, and it helps that we have a good puppy also. This is a son of my MHR Maggie. She will start running him in some Nahra Started tests next year, and I don't see any reason why she shouldn't finish his title if she keeps going with the training. I am really not helping her anymore than just telling her what she needs to do. I am SOOO proud of her and everything that she does.

#66 · (Edited)
As a child my dad got me a Remington 870, 20 ga pump, it kicks like a mule, I still have it, even with a fitted stock, it still kicks like a mule, way harder than my 391 12 ga, which is the best gun I've ever owned, because it FITS. The girls and I have Ladies Wed night shooting, we all use that gun. Do yourself a favor buy your daughter a semi-auto, and get the stock cut down to fit her now, then replace the stock later as she grows. Semi-Autos have significantly less kick, most are designed so the gas from the shot is used to eject the shell not to smack you in the face-shoulder. Also get a good pad, I have a Kickeze. Buy 1 oz #8 2 3/4 upland or 2 3/4 3-4 duck lighter loads, I've never had any issue killing anything with the lighter stuff. I've brought down geese stone cold dead with Kent Fast steel 2 3/4 #3. No-one likes to shoot when they get beat-up, women and girls get beat up with practically any gun even youth models, the stocks are not designed for them. Women hold a gun differently, there is practically NO pocket in the shoulder to hold the gun. A stock must be adjusted so they can shoot comfortably, that being Length, stock thickness, the comb by the cheek. You got to love that cheek-jawbone bruise, I know it sure made me want to continue to shooting, having to cover a blacken cheek and fighting jaw pain for 3-4 days after shooting my pump ;).

#67 ·
Its for my son ;) (which doesnt really matter),he was awfully proud of the bruises on this arm the next day (where he didnt get shouldered good) but that just the way boys are I guess.

He was REAL proud of his black eye he got last year from being "scope bit" from his 243 deer rifle when we where sighting in, but he learned what not to do.

#70 ·
BOYS ;). Sorry about that didn't see where the thread morphed in 2, but for shotgun fitting, I went out with an instructor, who knew how to measure different aspects of the gun, they took the take a bit off here, try it take a bit of there try it. Ended up with a nice fit. Made the mistake with one gun of just taking it to a gun-shop, where they supposedly measured and cut it. Cut it an inch too short, a very jagged and messed up the cut. Never again, be sure to find someone who actually know what they're doing, for a boy you'll probably just need length.

#68 ·
I guess I'm a bad parent,I got my son a Tristar youth 20ga auto for his 10th birthday last year and let him load 3 eveytime we shot it.We spent the summer shooting clays and he could only shoot one at a time.During hunting season...give 'em 3 buddy if they are in range! AND...he's shot single shot 410 the previous two years and gun safety has been preached to him from day one. Safety,safety,safety. We've hunted in three states with some groups of grown men and I've had several people comment on how safe and how well he handled himself. Thats my hunting buddy in my avatar.
The Tristar has been great by the way,I highly recommend them. We shot 3 cases of lead target loads and about 1 1/2 cases of steel last year and I can think of only one jam.

#69 ·
#71 ·
I have a Remington 1100 Special Field in 20 ga, with english stock. It is an excellent shotgun for a youth, or a woman, or when I get tired of dragging my 870 around. I bought it in 1995 or '96 to teach my then 13 year old step daughter how to shoot. She did well with it. It is a very easy to swing, light recoil shotgun. Chambered for 3", it eats 2 3/4 dove loads and 3" magnums without fail. I shot it this past season during our annual pilgrimage to South Dakota to pheasant hunt, it drops ditch parrots stone cold just as well as my 870. I love this little shotgun, and it would be a great shotgun for a youth just starting out. And, it just might be the shotgun you reach for when dove season rolls around...

#73 ·
Good choice on the semi-auto. My 9 year old can shoot 4 rounds of trap and leave wanting more with his Tri-Star youth 20ga. That simply wouldn't be the same result if he had a single shot or pump gun.

#74 ·
He was completely surprised when I handed it to him. First his mommy handed him 2 boxes of 20 ga. shells (he has been shooting grandpa's 4/10 ) ,he said these are 20 ga shells ,they wont fit in my gun mom :confused:. Then I handed him his new gun and he was all smiles. Today were guna head to the farm and shoot some clays. Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed Carnivore

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.