The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Best youth shotgun

I think either a Remington 870 or Benelli Nova would be your best option. Depending on how big the new hunter is.

First hand experience. Get a youth model for sure. Hated the Remington 1100, kicked hard and had trouble loading it at times. My favorite is my Franchi 20 ga youth model, not a bad kick and user friendly. Great for children and small women.

I have two girls and a wife that I have been teaching to shoot. My opinion and experience with my girls. Stay far away from the 870 youth, I had it, wife used it, got rid of it. She took my beretta al390 12g because it kicked way less than the 870 youth 20g. I just bought my 11 yr old girl a remington 1187 20 g youth and it is a nice gun. It has stock extensions to adjust as she grows and does not kick nearly as much as the 870. Little pricer at $600 than the 870, but you wont ruin your kids experience and it is way less expensive than beretta 20 g youth at $1300, which would have been my next choice. You have to keep it clean it is not as bullet proof as the 870 or beretta it will jam when it gets dirty, but hey just keep it clean.

Though it is quite a bit more expensive than the options others are recommending, I really like the Benelli Montefeltro in 20 ga. They currently have a combo package that comes with two stocks; a youth size and a full size so it will fit them as they grow up. Gun is incredibly light which makes it easier for them to hold and carry all day as well as being pretty soft shooting.

Remington 20ga 870 is the way to go. And if you want to be dad of the year. Here's a hint my daughter shoots an 870, 20 ga youth model that is pink camo.

WOW I can't believe some of the advice on here about giving a child a gas operated autoloader shotgun.
    That's very dangerous. A pump shotgun makes the shooter settle in and make every shot count. While an automatic in the hands of someone just leaning to shot is dangerous most non experinced shooters will just let the lead fly. Trying to get that magic shot off. That's just my opinion but what do I know.
    Last edited by Golden Boy; 04-17-2013 at 09:43 AM.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

as far as simplicity goes a Rem 870 is great as well as a Benelli Nova but for recoil and a long lasting shotgun I would have to say a Winchester SX3 20g I have been through the mill trying to find a shotgun that doesnt kick but will knock down a wild pheasant for my wife and I finally found it - My wife has a bad shoulder from a car accident and cant handle the kick of most shotguns. I can shoot it one handed and it cycles through skeet rounds with no issue even in cold weather. Hope this helps.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve - Ace
    Foundation's Peanut Butter Cup - Reece

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    Remington 20ga 870 is the way to go. And if you want to be dad of the year. Here's a hint my daughter shoots an 870, 20 ga youth model that is pink camo.

WOW I can't believe some of the advice on here about giving a child a gas operated autoloader shotgun.
    That's very dangerous. A pump shotgun makes the shooter settle in and make every shot count. While an automatic in the hands of someone just leaning to shot is dangerous most non experinced shooters will just let the lead fly. Trying to get that magic shot off. That's just my opinion but what do I know.

WOW I can't believe your inability to think through this topic. You assume people that get their kids semi-auto's are giving them unlimited ammo and letting them load up. A lot of people forget, in their rush to judgement, that a semi-auto makes a great single shot! The bolt even stays open waiting for the next one, making it easier. It is obvious you have never spent anytime with youth shotgun instruction, yet pass judgement.

870's and the Montefeltro's are going to kick more than a gas operated semi-auto. I have both. Monte's are inertia not gas. There is a difference. If you are starting your kids at 12 or 13 fine, no problem. If you are starting them at 8 or 9, big difference - go gas operated. You want them to want to do it again, not be afraid to do it again.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

SHR Kerrybrook's Trollady Hero With Fire
    SHR Kelrobin Trollady's Murphy CGC

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
    Hunters Safety Instructor

Even with a pump my son only gets one shell at a time, until I believe he is ready. Same with the semi-auto. It helps with recoil and helps keep his head down on the gun.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

I picked up a 12 ga young adult? Model 870 on sale at cabelas last year. It will also serve as my wife's hunt test gun.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Spartazoo View Post
    WOW I can't believe your inability to think through this topic. You assume people that get their kids semi-auto's are giving them unlimited ammo and letting them load up. A lot of people forget, in their rush to judgement, that a semi-auto makes a great single shot! The bolt even stays open waiting for the next one, making it easier. It is obvious you have never spent anytime with youth shotgun instruction, yet pass judgement.

870's and the Montefeltro's are going to kick more than a gas operated semi-auto. I have both. Monte's are inertia not gas. There is a difference. If you are starting your kids at 12 or 13 fine, no problem. If you are starting them at 8 or 9, big difference - go gas operated. You want them to want to do it again, not be afraid to do it again.
    I have a lot of experience with children and adults in shotgun instruction. And I wouldn't nor would I advise someone I don't know to buy their child a semi-automatic shotgun. A lot of people don't have the common sense or restrain to only give their child one shell to fire if it will carry 3 shells load it up is most mind sets. I also don't recommend it for first time adult shooters.
    If recoil is the concern they need to use a lighter shot load. Like a 2 and 3/4 inch #7 or 7and 1/2 load.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.