The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Best youth shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    I have a lot of experience with children and adults in shotgun instruction. And I wouldn't nor would I advise someone I don't know to buy their child a semi-automatic shotgun. A lot of people don't have the common sense or restrain to only give their child one shell to fire if it will carry 3 shells load it up is most mind sets. I also don't recommend it for first time adult shooters.
    If recoil is the concern they need to use a lighter shot load. Like a 2 and 3/4 inch #7 or 7and 1/2 load.

Well I guess we will agree to disagree. Even the lighter loads cause recoil.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

SHR Kerrybrook's Trollady Hero With Fire
    SHR Kelrobin Trollady's Murphy CGC

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
    Hunters Safety Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Spartazoo View Post
    Well I guess we will agree to disagree. Even the lighter loads cause recoil.
    You'll get that sometimes.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    I have a lot of experience with children and adults in shotgun instruction. And I wouldn't nor would I advise someone I don't know to buy their child a semi-automatic shotgun. A lot of people don't have the common sense or restrain to only give their child one shell to fire if it will carry 3 shells load it up is most mind sets. I also don't recommend it for first time adult shooters.
    If recoil is the concern they need to use a lighter shot load. Like a 2 and 3/4 inch #7 or 7and 1/2 load.
    If a parent does not have the common sense to only give the child one shell to shoot in their semi-auto shotgun, then that'd certainly be a problem and he too should not allow the child to shoot a pump for that matter. no questions asked, a semi-auto 20g is far and away a more pleasant experience for a child. My 9yo wanted absolutely positively nothing to do with hunting, shooting, etc after he shot a Mossberg pump and Remington 870 pump yth 20g. I begged and pleaded with him to try the neighbors borrowed Tristar Youth 20g semi auto...and he was hooked. Except for it not ejecting consistently, the semi-auto will increase the chances of a kid enjoying it and wanting/asking to go back. The SA's are $200-$300 more than the Remington 870 pumps, but well worth it. Go with the Remington 1187 Youth SA 20g, or Weatherby SA-08 Youth 20g. The kick with the Weatherby SA-08 with light load gas option, with target loads has little more than a "bump" on the shoulder.
    Last edited by jpws; 04-17-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpws View Post
    If a parent does not have the common sense to only give the child one shell to shoot in their semi-auto shotgun, then that'd certainly be a problem and he too should not allow the child to shoot a pump for that matter. no questions asked, a semi-auto 20g is far and away a more pleasant experience for a child. My 9yo wanted absolutely positively nothing to do with hunting, shooting, etc after he shot a Mossberg pump and Remington 870 pump yth 20g. I begged and pleaded with him to try the neighbors borrowed Tristar Youth 20g semi auto...and he was hooked. Except for it not ejecting consistently, the semi-auto will increase the chances of a kid enjoying it and wanting/asking to go back. The SA's are $200-$300 more than the Remington 870 pumps, but well worth it. Go with the Remington 1187 Youth SA 20g, or Weatherby SA-08 Youth 20g. The kick with the Weatherby SA-08 with light load gas option, with target loads has little more than a "bump" on the shoulder.
    Exactly! Especially the part about kids not wanting anything to do with shooting after experiencing single shot or pump guns.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

NRA Life Member

I'm waiting on a price from a friend who owns a small local gun store for the Weatherby SA-08 Youth 20g.

GoldenBoy ,I agree with what you say ,about the fact that it takes common sense to not load several rounds in a semi auto for youth. We shot Saturday and between a 4/10 O/U and 20 gauge semi he shot somewhere around 80+ rounds and he caried 1 shell to the line each time and didnt load it until he was in place to shoot,with me standing directly behind him with more shells.

In this case we're not talking about city folk who just decide they wanted to be hunters/shooters due to watching Duck Dynasty.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

As a child my dad got me a Remington 870, 20 ga pump, it kicks like a mule, I still have it, even with a fitted stock, it still kicks like a mule, way harder than my 391 12 ga, which is the best gun I've ever owned, because it FITS. The girls and I have Ladies Wed night shooting, we all use that gun. Do yourself a favor buy your daughter a semi-auto, and get the stock cut down to fit her now, then replace the stock later as she grows. Semi-Autos have significantly less kick, most are designed so the gas from the shot is used to eject the shell not to smack you in the face-shoulder. Also get a good pad, I have a Kickeze. Buy 1 oz #8 2 3/4 upland or 2 3/4 3-4 duck lighter loads, I've never had any issue killing anything with the lighter stuff. I've brought down geese stone cold dead with Kent Fast steel 2 3/4 #3. No-one likes to shoot when they get beat-up, women and girls get beat up with practically any gun even youth models, the stocks are not designed for them. Women hold a gun differently, there is practically NO pocket in the shoulder to hold the gun. A stock must be adjusted so they can shoot comfortably, that being Length, stock thickness, the comb by the cheek. You got to love that cheek-jawbone bruise, I know it sure made me want to continue to shooting, having to cover a blacken cheek and fighting jaw pain for 3-4 days after shooting my pump .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-17-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Its for my son (which doesnt really matter),he was awfully proud of the bruises on this arm the next day (where he didnt get shouldered good) but that just the way boys are I guess.

He was REAL proud of his black eye he got last year from being "scope bit" from his 243 deer rifle when we where sighting in, but he learned what not to do.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I guess I'm a bad parent,I got my son a Tristar youth 20ga auto for his 10th birthday last year and let him load 3 eveytime we shot it.We spent the summer shooting clays and he could only shoot one at a time.During hunting season...give 'em 3 buddy if they are in range! AND...he's shot single shot 410 the previous two years and gun safety has been preached to him from day one. Safety,safety,safety. We've hunted in three states with some groups of grown men and I've had several people comment on how safe and how well he handled himself. Thats my hunting buddy in my avatar.
    The Tristar has been great by the way,I highly recommend them. We shot 3 cases of lead target loads and about 1 1/2 cases of steel last year and I can think of only one jam.

Quote Originally Posted by grnhd View Post
    I guess I'm a bad parent
    Welcome to the club... we meet on Wednesdays at 6:30, bring your semi-auto.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Its for my son (which doesnt really matter),he was awfully proud of the bruises on this arm the next day (where he didnt get shouldered good) but that just the way boys are I guess.

He was REAL proud of his black eye he got last year from being "scope bit" from his 243 deer rifle when we where sighting in, but he learned what not to do.
    BOYS . Sorry about that didn't see where the thread morphed in 2, but for shotgun fitting, I went out with an instructor, who knew how to measure different aspects of the gun, they took the take a bit off here, try it take a bit of there try it. Ended up with a nice fit. Made the mistake with one gun of just taking it to a gun-shop, where they supposedly measured and cut it. Cut it an inch too short, a very jagged and messed up the cut. Never again, be sure to find someone who actually know what they're doing, for a boy you'll probably just need length.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)