The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Fingerpainter Eating Stools ??

Default Fingerpainter Eating Stools ??

Not sure what to do with this one? I have a 7 month female that has been a supreme "fingerpainter" her whole life. Well she has now picked up a new trick which tops the messy kennel twice a day. I thought I saw this a couple nights ago but saw her first hand last night, when I let the dogs out to clean she went down to a older males kennel and proceeded to eat his stools? Whats up?? Can say this is a new one and not sure how to proceed? She is fed twice a day and is on Nature's Balance. I understand to not let her into the kennel but what about out in the airing area as she will scoop it up there? Any suggestions is surely appreciated.
    Thanks
    ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!

If you do a search you will find that crap eating is an ongoing problem for a lot of people.
    None of the suggested solutions worked for me. I finally switched to a high quality, grain free food and fed 50% more than recommended and maintained that until the dogs started gaining weight.
    The crap eating stopped. The dogs have more energy and they need 70% less water, probably due to less carbs.
    I believe the problem exists because the commercial grain based dog foods are not providing all the nutrition the dog’s need. The dog’s behavior supports this.
    Duckworth Retrievers

Thanks for your reply. She has maintained her weight, but it is sure worth a try.
    ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!

When I switched to higher protien diet the majority of my poop scooping/poopsical eating stopped. I still have one old girl that will do it occasionally.
    deb