The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Young dog problems

Default Young dog problems

I am having a few problems with my 5 month old male. Any ideas as to eliminate the eating of poop? I have tried the stop eating poop powder, and not quite doing the trick. Second problem is the dog door. I have the self closing hinges on it, and he seems to want to wait for me to help start the door. If I put my hand down, and touch the door, he does it himself, but the cold weather is coming, and I want to make sure he can do it. Third problem is poop again, he seems to be pooping ALOT! His stools seem to be looser than those of the other 3 dogs, but the same food, Eukanuba Large Breed Pupppy. I recently noticed some rice like worms in it, and took a sample to the vet with a tape worm outcome, and three pills to give my at once. I haven't seen them any more, might there be another problem, that didn't show up in the sample? Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
    Gary Metzger
    Blacks and Chocolates born Dec.14th, 2013 Dynamic Fisherman MH QAA X Bustin' Waters Go With The Flo
    www.bustinwaterkennels.com Designed by Carrie Carlson aka Boondux on RTF

Are your sure you were supposed to give 3 pills at once? Anytime I have had to treat tapes it was over a 3 week period. As for the eating poop,I had one that used to do it and used meat tenderizer and it stopped it. Best thing to do is try to clean up as soon as they go.

For not going out the door is just like any onther command. Show him, teach him and them make him.

Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://www.worldclassgsd.com/Health_..._Own_Feces.htm

Yes all three pills at once, I read it a few times to make sure. Thanks for your suggestions, not much worse than grabbing a bumper out of a poopy mouth. Gary
    Gary Metzger
    Blacks and Chocolates born Dec.14th, 2013 Dynamic Fisherman MH QAA X Bustin' Waters Go With The Flo
    www.bustinwaterkennels.com Designed by Carrie Carlson aka Boondux on RTF

If the pills clear up the worms and he's still having a lot of loose stool, I would recommend a food change. My pup was having the same issue, no worms, and it was just a matter that she wasn't digesting the food she was on. We switched and she has firmer, smaller stool, less frequently. Sometimes dogs just don't do well on certain foods, even though other dogs do, just have to find what works for them. And that could be another reason he's eating poop, if he's not digesting his food. But some dogs just eat poop! lol we have one who does that, just have to watch him and clean up.
    Kiela
    Tigress Midnight Wind Stalker (pending)

Remington's Black Powder Jasper - Jasper
    February 25, 2004 - March 24, 2006

Boscoe
    March 15, 2006 - April 19, 2007
    http://boscoegrowsup.blogspot.com

when you come up with a way to stop them from eating poop you'll be a rich man..It is just part of it growing up.. that's how they got the name Lil $h!t eaters..As for the loose stools maybe cut back on how much your feeding or try switching.As for the doggie door try using treats to get the pup to come through..

As far as poop eating, watch em like a hawk, pick it up immediately and try to break the habit. Sometimes it is a lack of digesting and absorbing nutrients properly as others have stated. Good Luck, it is a tough one.

I also agree with what others have stated, large loose stools are either dog being overfed or not the correct food for the dog with lack of absorption of nutrients. I had one with large stools on the food you mentioned, switched to a different food with different ingredients solved the problem. I agree that you have to find the right food for the dog. My 2 dogs are on different foods.

I was having the same issues with my Quasi pup, not the poop eating but loose stool. I tried several top foods and she was still loose. She would eat so fast it would come back up so I was feeding her on the kennel floor. That stopped the problem of eating too fast but still loose. I talked to the breeder and he told me to water her food down, not let it soak, just put enough water in it to float. I thought he was nuts and figured I was really going to have loose stool. It WORKED, it did 2 things at once. She still eats really fast but has to get by the water to get the food so she does not get as much food as quick and the water also helped her body absorb the food better.Stool it nice and tight. She looks better than she ever did, filling out nice, she doesn't tire as quick as she was either. I was getting very concerned because she just turned 6mo. and EVERYTHING at the vet was checking out good. I guess some pups needs are different than others.

Here's an article that we got in the YourAKC email yesterday. 2nd page.....Hope this helps! http://www.akc.org/pdfs/pubs/monthly...ticle/1007.pdf
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com