The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the New Kid

Default Introducing the New Kid

Ruthie Gordon, 17, a high school senior from Adrian, Oregon, population of 250. Ruthie came to work for me in February of 2007 to do kennel work and throw birds. Ruthie had never worked around dogs and found it fascinating. She went with me to our picnic trials in the cold winter months of February and March to learn what the competition was all about. She pitched right in marshalling and throwing birds. In April seeing she had a real interest in the dogs, I decided to let her run our seven year old spayed female in training. Ecstasy’s True Delight, “Trudy” who was retired after the derby to become one of our hunting dogs do to an injury at an early age. Trudy, a very good marker with lots of desire, was very weak on her blinds and not very steady. Ruthie worked really hard with her and in the spring I decided to take her to a hunt test in Salt Lake City. Ruthie and Trudy passed their first Senior. Later in the summer they really started to become a team. So we decided to enter Ruthie and Trudy in the Qualifying at Idaho Retriever Club fall trial. This was Ruthie’s first Field Trial and Trudy’s first qualifying. I admire this wonderful young lady. Along with training with me she maintains a 3.8 grade point average, is in Future Farmers of America, plays flute and oboe in the school band and also is in drama. It is very rare these days to see such a fine young person at our dog events. Ruthie plans on going to college after graduation to pursue an education in teaching music. We need these young people to give new life to our sport. So take a few minutes and mentor a new handler. You can teach teenagers and old dog new tricks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barb/x2crr; 10-14-2007 at 03:21 AM. Reason: trouble with picture
    Barb Young/Ecstasy River Ranch

AFC Cosmic Blue Genes - "Levi"
    Ecstasy Fancy Pants MH QAA - "Fancy"
    Darcy's Autumn Ecstasy MH - "Darcy"
    Ecstasy's Bell Bottom Blues - "Layla"
    Ecstasy's Ooh La La - "Paris"
    cosmicbluegenes.com

After all the negative junk we are bombarded with it's good to know there are still kids like this out there and people that take an interest. Congratulations to both of you.

Mac
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Nice story , congratulations to them. Thanks for sharing.

That is just great! Sounds like Ruthie has a plan and is going to be one successful lady in life.

Andy
    Andy

"You can't win until you are not afraid to lose."

Luckydux Cheese And Quackers CD MH - Briezy (7/20/99-4/4/14)
    FTCH AFTCH Luckydux Drakehaven Hot Ticket*** - Ticket
    Luckydux Gave Her Momma Forty Quacks - Lizzie
    Luckydux Quacker Jaxx WC JH - Jaxxy
    Luckydux Graham Quacker WC JH -Graham
    Luckydux Penny In A Parking Lot - Penny

Well said!
    Les

Barb,good for you and Ruthie . It is wonderful to know there are really young people like Ruthie. Congratulations to both of you. Marie
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

Very well said! As you have heard me say before....they are the future of this sport. It is nice to see them starting young and so dedicated! Ruthie truley is an amazing young woman!
    Arrow's Cappucino Express MH "Hooter" deceased
    Fetch Express Locomotion RN MH
    Fetch Express Smokey Owl CD RN MH Therapy Dog and Diabetic Aert Dog
    Fetch Express Bravo Zula SH RN NAJ CDX Therapy Dog and Diabetic Alert Dog.

Had lots of good dogs but when one saves your life it is a whole different ballgame!

Wink

Thanks for the nice replys. There was about 25 people standing around watching Ruthie in the last series, some which didn't even have a dog running. I know my eyes were tearing up when she was dimissed from the honor. She has put alot of work into Trudy and we are so proud of Ruthie.
    Barb Young/Ecstasy River Ranch

AFC Cosmic Blue Genes - "Levi"
    Ecstasy Fancy Pants MH QAA - "Fancy"
    Darcy's Autumn Ecstasy MH - "Darcy"
    Ecstasy's Bell Bottom Blues - "Layla"
    Ecstasy's Ooh La La - "Paris"
    cosmicbluegenes.com

Barb, I wholeheartedly agree that taking young ones under our wing and exposing them to retrievers sports is both necessary for the life of the sport, but also a privilege. I hope you don’t mind, I’d like to share a similar success story.

Back in 2000 a young lady and her mother from the local dog club called looking for assistance with their two young retrievers. The mom Sharon had been around gundogs when she was married but had been away from dogs for a few years and missed the fun. Now divorced and with one daughter left in the house they were looking for help. Sharon and Laura began training with my group. We spent a lot of hours working with her their two dogs and they became family. Laura didn’t just have a mother anymore, she inherited a few brothers and sisters. I’ll leave some of the stories out of it, like the one with her first boyfriend getting a little two frisky with her in the backseat of my F350 on the way home one night from catching pigeons. That young man learned what a pissed off redneck can do to a boy with fast fingers. Sharon and Laura were a critical portion our 2002 Master National training group. She graduated in 03 and went to OSU to major in business, but during the summers and holidays would come and train. She’s never lost her love for dogs. By her senior year in college she had decided that she wanted to find a career working with dogs somehow. To help her reach that goal we got with Tellus and she was able to spend one summer working with him to learn what the life of a pro was like. She graduated college this year and I had the honor of writing a reference letter for her and doing a reference interview for her. She recently accepted a job working with the Guide Dog School for the blind in Oregon and is waiting to transfer to the school down in California. She is engaged to a very nice young man she met while still in high school and dated all through college, who recently graduated from the California Highway Patrol as a 3rd generation police officer. I couldn’t be prouder of my little sister and feel pretty privileged to have been a part of helping her grow up in a world that throws such obstacles at young ones. Her mom still comes and trains with us and in fact I have another one of her pups in for OB/FF now. Here’s a pic of Laura running Cody last year at Sauvie Island…

Thanks Barb for letting me share, sitting down and writing this made my day. I'm now off to pick up a couple of 12 year olds to run some blinds....

/Paul

Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Nice story, thanks for sharing!