The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Southern California fires (sort of GDG)

Default Southern California fires (sort of GDG)

Wow...it's REALLY ugly out here. We're in fairly good shape where we live, except for the wind (gusts at 45-50 mph), the heat (85-95 degrees) and, yesterday, smoke that was thicker than our beach fog. Fortunately, the wind direction has shifted a bit and cleared the worst of the smoke away from where we are, but we still smell it and a little ash is still falling.

And can we go out to train? Not a chance. Hell, I wouldn't breathe that stuff and I sure wouldn't work Sadie in it.

We also missed our waterfowl opening, but the report from our pond was that the ducks were smart enough to go somewhere out of the smoke...apparently we didn't miss a thing.

The good news for us personally is that we're outta here later this week for a few days of clear mountain air in the Sierras, and in 2 weeks we leave for a week or so of some Montana waterfowl, pheasants, Huns and grouse.

Hold a good thought and say a little prayer for those people out here who have lost so much...and for those who have been injured and for the family of the one who was killed. It ain't pretty out there, folks...but it has to get better soon.

Florence, Russ, Susan and Devlin I am wondering if you are all still doing OK. The news on the TV is so scary. I hope Linda and Arnie still have a home and the Jenkins. Marie
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

Marie

A decrease in wind velocity has allowed the firefighters to use their air assets today. They should have dozens of aircraft capable of dropping water or retardant available by the end of the day.

Arnie, Linda, Dewey and Bill are packed and ready to leave at a moments notice with fires both to the northeast and southeast of them. They should be OK, but are being careful. Susie is not far from the front lines of the fire, but the aircraft are making a difference and I think the tired firefighters will hold the line. Fresh personnel are arriving hourly from other jurisdictions.

Florence is heading off in the morning to the clean air of the desert to train the dogs.

Russ

Thanks for the update Russ. Glad the winds are dropping. I hope the firefighters can soon get a handle on the fir. Florence has the right idea to head for the desert. However there may be smoke there as well. I remember 4 years ago we could see the flames from Mag 7.
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Florence, Russ, Susan and Devlin I am wondering if you are all still doing OK. The news on the TV is so scary. I hope Linda and Arnie still have a home and the Jenkins. Marie
    Things "continue to continue"...the Solana Beach evac advisory was cancelled this afternoon, so the in-laws are ok for now. Our one major fire in Ventura County is approaching containment, the winds have dropped dramatically close to the coast, the humidity is rising slightly, and things are definitely improving up here. San Diego County (and Orange County, too) are still getting hit hard, but there is cautious optimism based on an anticipated improvement in the weather tomorrow. Hold a good thought and say a little prayer for all those whose lives have been so devastated by these fires...and thank you for checking up on us.

Some of sisters friends in the San Bernadino-Arrow Head Springs area lost their house. Her husband did electric work at the old resort in the 70's and I assume thre house was in the hills there.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

I flew into Los Angeles yesterday afternoon. For those of you who have not, the view is normally buildings as far as the eye can see. Starting about 85 miles north of the airport, all you could see was brown smoke. It cleared, some, as we got close to the airport. At my house, halfway between LA and San Diego, you can smell smoke, but the sky was clear and no blowing ash here, like there was 4 years ago. All my family and friends are thus far safe, but many are not. It's a tough deal down here, especially south, but the wind is supposed to slow today, and there are high hopes of getting some of these blazes controlled.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Pupaloo: that's a pretty rough "welcome home," no? We have very little smoke over us today, but it's still really hot...85 here at the beach and 97 only a couple of miles inland (11:30am). But the humidity is still rising and the breeze (what there is of it) is onshore again.

What I'm hearing from San Diego is that the wind shift down there (especially around Pendleton and inland to Julian) is causing new problems because it's driving the fires eastward into some new fuel, and apparently some people who were allowed to go back to their homes have had to be re-evacuated.

Here's hoping you and Russ and all the others down there stay safe, and that the weather will indeed improve over the next day or two so they can begin to get some significant control over the fires.