The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain killers for dogs

Default Pain killers for dogs

My pup just tore her pad open again and it gets very tender and inflamed the first couple days. I was wondering if human painkillers such as ibuprofen can be safely used in dogs and if so what dosage is recommended. I'd like to avoid a trip to the vet if at all possible because last time it was pretty counterproductive (stitches that promptly tore out on their own) but the pain killers definitely helped her. Any help is appreciated.

Riley's mom

You can give them one aspirin, regular strength. NO TYLENOL, not sure about ibuprofen, never used it. If you go with the aspirin, make sure it is coated, not as rough on the stomach.

Can't say that I've ever given pain meds for something like a cut pad though and given the possible side effects I don't think it is the best idea. Maybe you can get some neosporin with pain relief?

Good luck

Kris
    Blacktail Labs

Ascriptin is half aspirin and half maalox. I've only used it one pill in the am and one pill in the pm for a couple of days. I'm not sure what dosage you could use long term or anything.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I'm almost certain ibuprofen is toxic to dogs. Dogs I've known to be on aspirin have been at much lower doses for their weight than humans. Be very cautious!

Why not call your vet and ask for some Rimadyl? Or even take your dog in. I doubt they would withhold painkillers on the basis of your declining anesthesia and sutures.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by yukonriverriley View Post
    My pup just tore her pad open again and it gets very tender and inflamed the first couple days. I was wondering if human painkillers such as ibuprofen can be safely used in dogs and if so what dosage is recommended. I'd like to avoid a trip to the vet if at all possible because last time it was pretty counterproductive (stitches that promptly tore out on their own) but the pain killers definitely helped her. Any help is appreciated.
    Riley's mom
    ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NO IBUPROFEN FOR DOGS!!!!

You can use baby aspirin and if it's really painful for her bufferin works well; best thing to do is keep her quiet for a few days til the soreness begins to dwindle.

Pat

Yes, I plan on calling the vet as well. I have the wound dressed in neosporin and a bandage, but it swells up and hurts her quite a bit the first few days, which leads to her trying her darndest to shred her bandage, and the painkillers last time helped her a lot. Thanks for the replies!

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is bad for Livers Ibuprophen (Motrin, Advil) can cause kidney damage in dogs. Stick to Aspirin, "Talk to your vet for dosages" there is a mg/kg formula but I just use 1 AM and 1 PM for adult dogs. You won't need coated for short duration use, just a few days. Dogs stomachs are way tougher than ours.

There is also a Spray called Tomlyn's Allercaine it is a Chlorhexidine Gluconte, an antiseptic, Lidocaine an anesthetic and Bittran II a very bitter compound to stop licking and chewing. I've sprayed it on cut pads before with great results. (I've also used it on myself, I don't really have a problem with chewing and licking cuts but the Lido sure felt great) Allercaine and EMT Gel are very useful products that are always in my field trauma bag. They work great on dogs as well as people.

Also as an aside invest in a bootie for at least the affected paw for a few weeks to allow the pad to heal reducing the chances of it reopening.

I use vet wrap on the paw to keep it clean and hold her bandages on. This is the 2nd incident at the same park where she cut her paw the first time though, so I think investing in booties to keep this from happening again is a must. Any suggestions on places to get good, tough booties (preferably ones that will hold on to a dog that loves jumping in and out of creeks if that's possible)? At this rate maybe I should just duct tape her paws (kidding)

I believe there was a writeup on this very subject in a recent RJ, maybe last spring or so? Talked about over the counter drugs, and which are ok to use and which aren't...

The vet told me to use baby aspirin once. It was for a cocker spaniel...he only weighs about 22 lbs.