RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Suburban Kennel Design

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Tim Carrion 
#1 ·
I think a majority of the posters on here have beautiful well designed kennels out in a country setting. But, does anyone out there live in a suburban community with covenents and restrictions regarding dogs and kennels? I would really appreciate design ideas that you have used that got the Homeowner's in the community approval. I am particularly interested in the design of the outside run's construction, screening from the neighboring yards such as solid side walls, covered with maybe "skylighting" , etc. I'm not looking for "make do". This has to be a first rate upscale job. What materials do you recommend for the inside, intergated into the garage/basement. There will be a wash bay, and of course the inside runs will have to be hosed down too. Do I want painted, sealed concrete or go all out with tile? Thinking outside-the-box here.
Georgia

#2 ·
Man, I'm stuck in the situation you describe. I live one mile from my work and as soon as I'm able, I'm going to save money like a madwoman so I don't have to live in this "desirable address" forever.

I have a "dog room" in half the garage - if the yard Nazis had their way, I wouldn't have that. Fortunately they can't tell the black dogs apart. The AWS has to wear a bark collar at times. I just make sure they don't smell or make too much noise.

G
#3 ·
I think I've heard of some folks using vinyl fence to surround the kennels... maybe that will at least get you started in some direction. I do know someone who has beautiful kennels in country setting, but the runs are surrounded by vinyl privacy fence. It looks really nice....

-K

#4 · (Edited)
Is this what you had in mind??
It would be easy to do all kinds of different things along the sides.

#6 ·
I had to go to City Hall to petition to have more than the two dog limit for my area. My neighbors had to support the personal change in my being allowed a third dog. I built a 12 x 16 building with three kennels. One member of the board objected to having an additional because when she came out to inspect the sight the dogs barked. Another board member told her she had no business trespassing in a fenced area and "Of course they will bark at an intruder!" They granted the extra dog.

#8 ·
We live in a suburban/semi metropolitan area and have two backyard kennels side by side lengthwise. They are chain link, 20' by 6' divided into two 10'x6'. The long east side runs along a neighbor's hedged chain link fence - so they cannot see the kennels (they're dog friendly anyway). The 6' south side and the west 20' side are hidden by landscaping (taller flowers, shrubs and climbing plants. The 6' side closest to our house is unobscured (but not visible to others). We have several green cafe umbrellas over the kennels and built custom wooden dog houses. The flooring is wood decked a few inches above the ground (without concrete slab, it's not considered a "permanent" structure where we live). It takes a bit to prune the plants, but it looks nice and the decking is easy to clean. One caveat, I must keep the bark collar on one of our dogs whenever she's out in the kennel. She can't keep quiet.

Hope this helps.
RJG

#9 ·
My search on this subject yielded this 3-year old thread and no pics. :(

We recently moved and our new 'hood has some tough deed restrictions. I'm even considering a open-patterned brick wall along the side of the run that will face the street.

Please post pictures of your upscale, "citi-fied" 2 or 3 dog run.

Thanks!

Mark

#12 · (Edited)
this is the one I posted earlier in this thread

The runs are 6x10. the slab is 12x12. I had a local fence company fabricate the panels . Total cost about $600.

Only problem with it is this ;-)

#10 ·
We are keeping ours in the attached garage but have thought hard about outdoors.

If I do it, and what's held me up, it's not going to be cheap.

We will do a shed matching the house with a roof covering the outdoor portion of the kennels. Chainlink painted black (less visible). Privacy fence on either end for concealment.

We will also do it so that the outdoor portion can be removed to create a space to park a vehicle or other lawn equipment, or a sitting area...

Our biggest concern isn't the neighbors while we are there (they call have dogs). We are most concerned with marketability once we go to sell. By making the kennel easily converted to a nice outdoor shed with a carport/covered sitting area, we feel we will have the best luck.

The scope and price of doing this right is what's help up construction, actually.

#11 · (Edited)
If you live in a neighborhood that has a homeowners association make sure you read the covenant. Most homeowners are not even aware that their association has covenants. In ours, you can’t have chain link fences period, no out buildings, no fences that are 100% screened unless it encloses a pool. No more than 3 dogs…

#13 ·
When I lived in town my neighbor built a play house with a big awning coming off one end. Under the awning was a concrete slab and a chainlink fence. He added latice board around the awning and painted it to look like the playhouse. The playhouse had a door and windows with shutters. Oh ya the playhouse was pink but he always reminded us that dogs are color blind... Plus he didn't even have any kids (just two labs)...

#14 ·
My setup for 2 runs:
24' x 12' concrete slap
12' x 12" prefab shed with 2 extra holes cut in 1 side
(2) 12 x 6 runs of chainlink panels
6 ft evergreens planted around each side of the chainlink runs
2 Igloo boxes placed in a framed area inside the shed
water and electric underground from the house

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.