The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Health Problems

Default Dog Health Problems

I am asking this question here in hopes someone has had the same problem and can offer some advice. I have a yellow lab who has had trouble keeping food down for a week now. And by food I mean her dog food, rice, vet recommended Science Diet canned dog food(it is suppose to be easy for dogs to digest). She is still having bowl movements but they are smaller and less frequent, once or twice a day. We have taken her to the vet and her blood work is fine. They did an x-ray and ultrasound of her stomach and intestines and have not found anything abnormal. They prescribed a antibiotic for her intestines, some Pepcid AC, and some anti-throw up medicine which have not worked. She hardly ever drinks water and seems to be turned off by it.

Yesterday anytime she ate some food, we tried rice and Science Diet, she would throw it up about an hour or so later.

Any comments or recommendations?

did they test her for mega esophogus?

Quote Originally Posted by L. Zell View Post
    did they test her for mega esophogus?
    They did a swallow test and it was fine. Thanks.
    Also, our dog is almost 2 years old.

time for endoscopy of the esophogus and upper GI or even an exploratory. Not all foreign bodies will show up on a routine radiograph. Sounds to me like some sort of an obstruction since all blood work was normal.

Could it be an interceseption or whatever that is when the intestine rolles over itself. Like when you roll a pair of socks up. This may not make sense, but it causes an obstruction. Oh, its not a twist as much as like a telescoping in of the intestine.

tt
    mrgd

DISCLAIMER
    "You may not think I'm funny but I do, please don't take anything I say seriously because it's probably not."

Any news about whats wrong?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

We still don't know what is wrong. The vet put her on an amoxicillin and she is done taking that. She was also taking a pill to coat her stomach and is done taking that also. While she was taking the stomach coating medicine she didn't seem to puke. Today she is still puking, but seems to puke after we give her too much food, normally 1 to 2 hours after. If we keep her meals small, like 1/4 cup of food at a time she is fine. Just yesterday she threw up her dry dog food and ate it but didn't throw it up a second time. I'm not a vet but it seems like her stomach is irritated or just isn't use to having food in it. Now the vet. thinks she might have a food allergy to the food we are giving her. I personally have a hard time believing it.

Outside of puking our lab seems to be fine. She still retrieves with enthusiasm. After we get done she will drink up the water. The only time she seems abnormal is when we only give her 1/4 a cup of food because she seems to want more. She is a little thinner but it isn't unhealthy looking.

Earlier the vet. talked about putting a scope down her throat if nothing else works. The only problem with that is the cost to have it done. Which brings up a whole other question of how much do you spend on a dog?

It's YOUR dog!

You spend whatever it takes to find the problem and solve it.

Just like you would for a child.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

You spend as much as it takes to find out what is wrong with the dog or surrendor the dog to someone who can or you euthanize it. You can't just allow a dog to be sick or injured. If your dog is losing weight, only able to eat 1/4 cup of food at a time without puking, then something is wrong, regardless of how else the dog feels.

Sounds like the vet is only treating symptoms. I'd want to be getting aggressive and do an endoscopy. It is fairy non-invasive and can give lots of clues to what is going on.

I once had a dog that had inflammatory bowel disease that threw up his food alot. He was treated with prednisone.

How about worms? Have them recheck.

Good Luck

Kris
    Blacktail Labradors

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    It's YOUR dog!

You spend whatever it takes to find the problem and solve it.

Just like you would for a child.
    Just for clarification, I'm not trying to start a debate on how much you should spend on your dog. I guess I just put too much information down. However, I do not look at my dog as it is my child.