RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

NC Swan Hunting (GDG)

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Al VanHoey 
#1 ·
I'm new to NC. I applied for and drew a swan tag (SWEET!). It appears that I will have to hunt with a guide if I want an opportunity to harvest one. Does anyone have any recommendations? When is the peak in the Lake Mattamuskeet area? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Al

#7 ·
Yes they are good to eat. Here is how I made some last weekend and it was great.

We were have a cookout so I made a double batch. I used goose breast and swan breast.

ORIENTAL GOOSE STIR-FRY

Yield: 6 servings

Fileted breast of 1 wild Goose
3 md Onions [chopped]
2 cn (8 oz) sliced mushrooms [drained]
1 pk (2« oz) slivered almonds
Seasoned salt to taste
2 pk “Rice-A-Roni [oriental]
3 lg Celery stalks [cut into 1” pieces]
2 Bell peppers [1 red- 1 green Cut into strips]

1) Rince goose breasts and pat dry. Cut them into 1 in. slices and par-boil for 20 min. Drain and reserve the broth. Let cook and cut into 1 in. cubes...
2) Saut‚ the goose, onions, mushrooms, and almonds in a skillet for 15 min., then salt and pepper to taste, and add the seasoned salt if desired ...
3) Prepare the Rice-A-Roni according to package directions, using the reserved broth and adding the celery and pepper slices halfway through cooking time...
4) Combine the goose mixture and the rice mixture simmering for 15 min. then serve...

#8 ·
Contact Tony Flowers (704-578-2690). He guides around Harkers Island. I duck hunted with him last year and we had a great time. Saw lots of Swans while we were there, in fact had some go right over us but none of us had a permit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.