Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lymphoma: New Treatment

Default Lymphoma: New Treatment

Has anyone had a dog survive Lymphoma?
    Has anyone tried the treatment DCA?

http://www.buydca.com/dcaforum/DCForumID11/1.html

Has anyone tried this treatment?

http://www.miraclemineral.org/faqs.php

What success rate is there with traditional Chemo?
    thanks for any input.
    Gerri
    Gerri Mitchell
    Salt Marsh Retrievers
    196 Winding Trail
    Laurel Grove Plantation
    Brunswick, Georgia 31523

No I didn't try either of these new protacols. I used conventional Chemo for a 7 1/2 year old male Lab diagnosed with Lymphoma. I would never put a dog through that again. He went from 96 pounds down to 56 pounds while on chemo. He had trouble keeping anything down and had acute diareha. What went in came out one end or the other in less tan an hour. After two months they said he was in remission and regained weight at the rate of 1 pound per day back up to his original 96 pounds. But he didn't carry the weight as well. Four months later the Lymph node were growing again. Back on chemo nothing seemed to work. After exhausting all the proven drugs a great expense they tried experimental drugs for which there was no charge. Thing continued to get worst and after two more months he stopped eating entirely. At that time we had to say good buy to Oakridge Blackend Canine (Cajun), The best hunting companion I ever had. He passed one week after his eight birthday in 1995. I'll never forget him.
    Sugarfoots Rascal MH MNH, Master National Hall of Fame (Rascal)
    Leap'n And Pounce'n Sam I Am MH (Sammy)
    Cypress Creek Ramblin Fever MH (Cali)
    Oakridge Ramblin Rascal MH *** (MeToo)
    The Oakridge Highway Man (Bandit)

I happened to run into Debbie Russo a few days ago. She mentioned that "Nick" (FC Duk Dawg of Nickajack) had been treated in Wisconsin or Michigan with some sort of new treatment. Sorry I don't remember what it was, but she said he was flourishing now.

Hope you find what you're looking for, Gerri.

kg
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Terry, so sorry to hear of the awful result of Chemo on Cajun. I can hear that he is still very much alive in your heart! He is probably wagging his tail right now. thanks for sharing your experience. It is really hard making the right decision on this terrible disease.

Keith:
    I am very interested in finding out this treatment in WI or MI? Do you have a way to contact the owner of the dog to find out what treatment was used? Thanks. Appreciate it.
    gerri
    Gerri Mitchell
    Salt Marsh Retrievers
    196 Winding Trail
    Laurel Grove Plantation
    Brunswick, Georgia 31523

I will pm Becky to answer. She is participating now in the UW program.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Hi Gerri,

It is the worst feeling to have when your dog gets diagnosed with lymphoma. There is no cure for lymphoma, but chemo treatment is very successful and usually results in remission with 80% of dogs. At UW Madison, they have several studies that test new treatments and there is often financial incentives to have your dog participate in the studies. The website that is listed at the bottom explains trials and research studies that are available at UW Madison. I have my GR Honey in one of their programs and she was in remission for about ten months. If the dog is in WI, I would not hestiate and get her to UW Madison to see if it qualifies for any of the studies which takes a major financial burden off of you. Another benefit to the study is that at least your dog is providing information that one day could lead to a cure.

This is the link to UW Madison trials. They are a great set of people to work with and I believe Dr. Robat is in charge of the research studies and she is anwsome.

http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/data/news/trials.html

Becky
    Becky Z.

Golden Retrievers: Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies and bandanas.

Real Gold's Hot Patootie WCX** "Penny"
    http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=144306

Gerri look at

http://www.mtavet.com/VetItabs.htm

Immune Tabs - cancer treatment

I have heard that they really do shrink tumors
    Not sure which type of tumors but check it out

The Veterinary Oncologist to whom I took my bitch used the "Wisconsin Protocol" on her for lymphoma. She went into remission very quickly, but came out again three or four months later. The vet was very surprised she didn't stay in remission longer. I believe one of the drugs used was Cytoxan.
    The treatment was very agressive, but throughout it, my girl did well--weight stayed up, her activity level was great, and she didn't appear to suffer much in the way of side effects; she was, however, a very tough, stoic girl. She was a dog after my own heart!
    Suzanne B

I forgot to mention that Honey was apart of the GS study which is no longer being offered but UW Madison is one of the leading schools in the country for oncology.
    Becky Z.

Golden Retrievers: Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies and bandanas.

Real Gold's Hot Patootie WCX** "Penny"
    http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=144306

Thank you all for the feedback.
    My limited knowledge understands that the best Chemo can do is postpone death by a few months. It kills the cancer cells, but destroys the dogs immune system. When the cancer returns, and it always does, the dog is left with no immune system to fight the cancer and quickly dies.
    The immune booster pills sound good; thanks Janice.

In animal clinical research studies (University of Alberta in Edmonton, CA) ;
    The DCA treatment kills cancer cells without killing normal cells. This sounds promising.

How about diet?
    here is a site from Dave:

http://www.thedoctorsdoctor.com/dise...opathytype.htm

Gerri,
    So here you have it. This form of lymphoma is initiated by gluten through gene expression. How many more are there?

Gluten is rogue protein in the human diet just as is hydrogenated Trans Fat. The genome was not exposed to wheat until around ten thousand years ago at the earliest; one thousand years if your genome has its origins in north-western Europe. [The history of wheat is well researched; it is one of the first genetically modified foods. Genes jump species by accident so it just took longer in the old days. All the modern GM activity is simply not waiting for the accidental transfer to happen.]

So the question is do we call these genetic diseases and try to eliminate the human genes influenced by gluten and Trans fats or do we eat a biologically appropriate diet? We are omnivores so our genes have a wider tolerance. Canines are carnivores so should be eating mostly whole animals and will have a wider range of non-meat gene influencers.

Since it is established beyond doubt that health and longevity is directly proportional to the closeness of an individualís diet to those of its ancestors it seems that changing the genes instead of the diet is an exercise in stupidity.

Dave
    Gerri Mitchell
    Salt Marsh Retrievers
    196 Winding Trail
    Laurel Grove Plantation
    Brunswick, Georgia 31523