The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Magazine Advertisements

Default Magazine Advertisements

Not trying to stir the pot but I need help understanding something. First off I am not a British Lab basher, my previous dog was British and my current dog is half British. I just don't understand why just about every magazine I receive when I turn to the classifieds they are nothing but British Lab breeders and some Pointing Lab breeders. Is this their only means of advertising since most British breeders don't run Hunt Test or Field Trials?

That has kind of been the traditional medium of the British and pointing labs for a long time. I think because these magazines tend to go to more people that hunt, and there are just more people that hunt than play the retriever games, and that is the target market for these breeders that market their dogs as both hunter and companion dogs, gentelmans gundogs if you will. Not nessecarily reality but in marketing perception is everything.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Quote Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
    That has kind of been the traditional medium of the British and pointing labs for a long time. I think because these magazines tend to go to more people that hunt, and there are just more people that hunt than play the retriever games, and that is the target market for these breeders that market their dogs as both hunter and companion dogs, gentelmans gundogs if you will. Not nessecarily reality but in marketing perception is everything.

I might add that most of that market are ignorant (just dont know any better) to what a real field lab is like or capable of.

It is because the main waterfowl hunting organization Ducks Unlimited's long time association with Wildrose. first with Roberty Milner and then with Mike Stewart.

It is a crying shame.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    It is because the main waterfowl hunting organization Ducks Unlimited's long time association with Wildrose. first with Roberty Milner and then with Mike Stewart.

It is a crying shame.

HEY! You just never mind this stuff and get back to National reports. hahahaha 9th done yet?

To each his own.

I rarely see or hear of folks buying a Brit lab, for the purposes advertised, complaining about how they were taken advantage of, or did not receive what they expected/intended.

Different strokes.

Selective breeding is very real. We can deny it or we can accept it. This is not to say that a dog of "flavor A" cannot fulfill the function for which "flavor B" was selectively bred. They certainly can!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Not trying to stir the pot but I need help understanding something. First off I am not a British Lab basher, my previous dog was British and my current dog is half British. I just don't understand why just about every magazine I receive when I turn to the classifieds they are nothing but British Lab breeders and some Pointing Lab breeders. Is this their only means of advertising since most British breeders don't run Hunt Test or Field Trials?
    Looked in the HRC magazine lately? Nothing but a big advertising catalog for HT/FT dogs with very little substance. And yes, it probably is one of the only means of advertising, along with internet andword of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    To each his own.

I rarely see or hear of folks buying a Brit lab, for the purposes advertised, complaining about how they were taken advantage of, or did not receive what they expected/intended.

Different strokes.

Selective breeding is very real. We can deny it or we can accept it. This is not to say that a dog of "flavor A" cannot fulfill the function for which "flavor B" was selectively bred. They certainly can!

Chris

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
    ... I think because these magazines tend to go to more people that hunt, and there are just more people that hunt than play the retriever games, and that is the target market for these breeders that market their dogs as both hunter and companion dogs...
    I'm a British breeder and that is why I have a few magazine ads. My target customers hopefully read the magazines I advertise in. Like SloppyMouth said, the HRC magazine is full of FT/HT lines, it also is their target audience. I also sponsor on a couple of duck hunting forums, again, my target customer. I think the sponsorships and forums have yielded better results than print so I'm thinking of pulling my other ads. Other kennels may have had different results...
    The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.

Mark Twain