The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Magazine Advertisements

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    176

    Default Magazine Advertisements

    Not trying to stir the pot but I need help understanding something. First off I am not a British Lab basher, my previous dog was British and my current dog is half British. I just don't understand why just about every magazine I receive when I turn to the classifieds they are nothing but British Lab breeders and some Pointing Lab breeders. Is this their only means of advertising since most British breeders don't run Hunt Test or Field Trials?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bruce MacPherson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Jewell, Ore
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    That has kind of been the traditional medium of the British and pointing labs for a long time. I think because these magazines tend to go to more people that hunt, and there are just more people that hunt than play the retriever games, and that is the target market for these breeders that market their dogs as both hunter and companion dogs, gentelmans gundogs if you will. Not nessecarily reality but in marketing perception is everything.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Steve Shaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cornish Utah
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
    That has kind of been the traditional medium of the British and pointing labs for a long time. I think because these magazines tend to go to more people that hunt, and there are just more people that hunt than play the retriever games, and that is the target market for these breeders that market their dogs as both hunter and companion dogs, gentelmans gundogs if you will. Not nessecarily reality but in marketing perception is everything.


    I might add that most of that market are ignorant (just dont know any better) to what a real field lab is like or capable of.

  4. #4
    Senior Member AmiableLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    3,213

    Default

    It is because the main waterfowl hunting organization Ducks Unlimited's long time association with Wildrose. first with Roberty Milner and then with Mike Stewart.

    It is a crying shame.
    Kevin Walker

    Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Steve Shaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Cornish Utah
    Posts
    1,428

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    It is because the main waterfowl hunting organization Ducks Unlimited's long time association with Wildrose. first with Roberty Milner and then with Mike Stewart.

    It is a crying shame.


    HEY! You just never mind this stuff and get back to National reports. hahahaha 9th done yet?

  6. #6
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    6,935

    Default

    To each his own.

    I rarely see or hear of folks buying a Brit lab, for the purposes advertised, complaining about how they were taken advantage of, or did not receive what they expected/intended.

    Different strokes.

    Selective breeding is very real. We can deny it or we can accept it. This is not to say that a dog of "flavor A" cannot fulfill the function for which "flavor B" was selectively bred. They certainly can!

    Chris

  7. #7
    Senior Member SloppyMouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    WA via NJ/NY via OK via TX via WA
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Not trying to stir the pot but I need help understanding something. First off I am not a British Lab basher, my previous dog was British and my current dog is half British. I just don't understand why just about every magazine I receive when I turn to the classifieds they are nothing but British Lab breeders and some Pointing Lab breeders. Is this their only means of advertising since most British breeders don't run Hunt Test or Field Trials?
    Looked in the HRC magazine lately? Nothing but a big advertising catalog for HT/FT dogs with very little substance. And yes, it probably is one of the only means of advertising, along with internet andword of mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    To each his own.

    I rarely see or hear of folks buying a Brit lab, for the purposes advertised, complaining about how they were taken advantage of, or did not receive what they expected/intended.

    Different strokes.

    Selective breeding is very real. We can deny it or we can accept it. This is not to say that a dog of "flavor A" cannot fulfill the function for which "flavor B" was selectively bred. They certainly can!

    Chris

    Amen.

  8. #8
    Senior Member TimMTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hartselle, Alabama
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
    ... I think because these magazines tend to go to more people that hunt, and there are just more people that hunt than play the retriever games, and that is the target market for these breeders that market their dogs as both hunter and companion dogs...
    I'm a British breeder and that is why I have a few magazine ads. My target customers hopefully read the magazines I advertise in. Like SloppyMouth said, the HRC magazine is full of FT/HT lines, it also is their target audience. I also sponsor on a couple of duck hunting forums, again, my target customer. I think the sponsorships and forums have yielded better results than print so I'm thinking of pulling my other ads. Other kennels may have had different results...
    The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.

    Mark Twain

Similar Threads

  1. T.V. advertisements GDG
    By Sue Kiefer in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
  2. Forbes Magazine
    By Franco in forum POTUS Place - For those who talk Politics in the Gallery!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 07:30 PM
  3. Gun Dog Magazine
    By Chad Clagg in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 01:37 AM
  4. Another magazine
    By BROWNDOGG in forum RTF - Retriever Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 08:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •