The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: How Cold is To Cold

Default How Cold is To Cold

I have a 20 month old Black Male that is about 85lbs. It is in the teens here in the morning at shooting time and has only been warming up to the low 20's. My question is how cold is to cold for a young dog like this. I do not want him to get out there and be freezing and think that this whole hunting thing is stupid. We hunt in open water with just the native cover. No blinds or heaters. Any suggestions. THe water temp is still in the mid to upper 40's. Thanks

Hunting and training are two different things as far as temps are concerned. While hunting, if my dogs start to shiver for prolonged periods or violently, I will pack up. I have found that a neoprene vest works well, but on really cold days I have an old wool army blanket I bring along. I use this to dry the dog and they can also lay beneath it. Wool retains much of its warmth even when wet.

Of course, it really doesn't get cold in Virginia anymore!

throw a vest on and you should be fine. john's post nailed it

I'm sure if you asked the dog it would depend on if you are shooting many ducks.

I'd agree with the vest and blanket. It will also depend on if the dog is kenneled outside or is an inside pet. My dogs are house dogs and I know cold affects them more than dogs that are kenneled in the weather.

Brian

A rule of thumb for training is a combination of 100, water temp plus air temp equals 100. It is good when the sun is out.

For hunting when I was in south Dakota I would not send the dog for birds one at a time.I would wait until we were picking up for the day and have the dog pick up all the birds at once. Of course this only works if the ducks are shot dead.

Banned

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by duckdude4 View Post
    I have a 20 month old Black Male that is about 85lbs. It is in the teens here in the morning at shooting time and has only been warming up to the low 20's. My question is how cold is to cold for a young dog like this. I do not want him to get out there and be freezing and think that this whole hunting thing is stupid. We hunt in open water with just the native cover. No blinds or heaters. Any suggestions. THe water temp is still in the mid to upper 40's. Thanks
    I haven't had that problem in quite a while. Still 75 to 85 degrees down here.

The last time I had a problem getting them in the water was at a trial in Montgomery when the temperatures dipped into the low 20's with a brisk wind.

I bring a chamois that you'd use for a car in the field. You can find them in a plastic tube which makes it easier to throw in the blind bag. If the water is really cold, rub them down in between retrieves. It seems to make a difference and unlike a towel it doesn't stay wet.

You are asking for trouble if you keep a dog standing in 40 degree water for any long length of time. In and out of almost any water temp., especially if it is mostly out, will have little affect.
    A Neo vest and a dog stand will allow you to hunt all day long.
    Some type of wind break when it gets in the 30's and below really helps.
    A dry dog can tolerate just about any low air temp. Just like with us, wind chill does become a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by bennetts View Post
    A rule of thumb for training is a combination of 100, water temp plus air temp equals 100. It is good when the sun is out.

For hunting when I was in south Dakota I would not send the dog for birds one at a time.I would wait until we were picking up for the day and have the dog pick up all the birds at once. Of course this only works if the ducks are shot dead.
    Sorry, but I'm calling B.S. on your "rule of 100".
    You are asking for trouble if you TRAIN in 40 degree water on a 60 degree day.
    When training I want the water to be a minimum of 50 degrees or higher.

I'm gonna ditto mjh345 on the "100 rule".

Richard
    SHOOT EM' IN THE LIPS..........

HRCH Otter Sloughs Bronze Gander " Gander"
    TTF Duck Sloughs Make Mine a Double "Shooter"

www.ducksloughkennel.com

Romans 8:28