The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Loses a Bumper

Default Harry Loses a Bumper

I get a call from a friend of mine this morning. He wanted to go out and throw some marks for one of his young female labs. Seems like she's developed a breaking problem and of course he calls me because I have the one and only Bumper Boy here at the beach, which he thinks is the only way, now, to throw bumpers. Because Harry is old and prickly, and does his best to tick even his friends off, I try to act surprised that one of his prized gun dogs might have a breaking problem. Harry has 6 dogs they all break, every single time, the word "no bird" is unheard of to them.
    We decide to meet at one of my training areas and at the appointed time I see Harrys " work rig" comming up the road with of couse all 6 of his dogs, one of which I swear was driving, creating serious noise and havoc and with the old Ford Ranger burning the usuall 2 qts of oil per hour. HARRY DOSEN'T REALLY GIVE A RIP ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING.
    I might say here that Harry has his own breed of labs that he has developed over the 60 odd years or so that he has been hunting with dogs. They all look like they came out of a cookie cutter. Big broadheaded dogs they are smart, strong and tough and also apparently, at least from my experience with them, impervious to commands most of the time. For the longest time I thought they might be deaf. They can, however, hunt on some of the toughest water you will ever hunt on, and there won't be any cripples that go to waste while Harrys dogs are around.
    SO we/ I get the Bumper Boy set up and we are ready to fire the first bumper. Now Harry has put one of his dogs in the truck, two in the crate he's got in the back of the truck, secured I think with some baling wire he had laying around, and the two males that weigh in at about 95+ tied to the front bumper of the Ranger.
    I have seen this action before. Once that Bumper Boy goes off all heck is gonna break loose. I've seen crates demolished ropes broken and thank God the interior of his truck pretty much dosen't exist. I believe this could be described as DESIRE. So the first Bumper fires, Harry does a credible job of steadying his young female, the truck dogs go nuts but no one escapes, and we get the first retrieve out of the way.
    Apparently the front bumper of Harrys truck had fallen off before and he had remounted it using something not nearly as strong as bolts. That is the only way those two dogs tied to the bumper could have ripped it off when we fired that second bumper. I didn't see it at first because I was off to the side and focused on the flight of the bumper. I did see Harry release his dog and then two black blurs, dragging a Ford Ranger bumper, in hot pursuit. Harry got caught right about mid calf and went down like he was shot. The dogs all got to the bumper at about the same time and all came back together. I don't move as fast as I used to but I got to Harry pretty fast and while he wasn't making much sense he was at least cussing pretty well which is pretty standard for him. I finally got him moving around, pretty tough for an 80 year old guy, got the dogs gathered up and after tossing truck bumper in the bed of his truck Harry decided that he might have to take some of that money he has under his mattress and buy something a little sturdier to haul his dogs in.
    We will be on the Bay in the morning.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Saltmarsh, between you and Snicklefritz, I dont know where or when I have read such entertaining and well written short stories. In this one, I swear, I KNOW that guy! Thank you so much for posting!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

ROFLMAO, Fantastic story, I swear I know that guy also.

Carl
    A well trained dog is a conservation tool.
    "Light travels faster than sound...That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!! I do not own a Ford Ranger! Bill Watson.
    ________
    Wellbutrin lawsuit information
    Last edited by Bill Watson; 08-28-2011 at 11:18 PM.

I too had training friend like that only my friend is in the big trial grounds in the sky. He had some nice dogs also out of Honcho and a Corky female. Only he had Ford 150 that had so much trash on his dashboard he called it his indicator for telling him if the hill was to steep.

he was the original "Red Green" only he used a combination of bungie cords with the duct tape. He timed tests by the number of beers that could be drunk by the time all the dogs had run. There is not enough paper to record all his shenanigans. I really miss him.
    cave canem...beware of the dog
    Richard Halstead (halst001 at yahoo.com)

http://www.browndogmafia.com/finalists.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BirdHntr View Post
    ROFLMAO, Fantastic story, I swear I know that guy also.

Carl
    Ditto!! I about pissed myself.............

Angie

Thanks for posting.I got a good laugh imagining the visuals. Was a little bit worried about Harry being blindsided, glad that he is O.K.

As I was reading that I was thinking we all have a "Harry" for a friend.The "Harry" that I know also ticks everybody off but he always smiles just enough so you don't kill him.

What does you "harry" do to tick off everyone?Seems to be a lot of that lately.
    <--- Dooey, MH
    MHR Duckmates Fly Guy MH 05/17/94 - 07/17/08 "Flyboy"
    Candlewood Court Magician JH 1/31/02 - 8/2/12 "Magic Man"

Richard

Saltmarsh,

That story is hilarious! Thank heavens the Bumper Dogs didn't take out your Bumper Boy, too! Your story made my day.

Thanks,
    G